Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chef Submariner Alongside

justadrama

Lantern Swinger
Just wondering what a chef sm role is when not at sea or on watch?

with the civvies running the station galleys is it just stagging on and sweeping up or is there even less interesting and mundane things to be done?

justadrama

Lantern Swinger
I think a better explained question may help.

When the boat isnt on patrol and your on station not doing courses or on watch then what do the chefs do?
I'm presuming they dont feed the blokes in the station galley as its run by civvies!

Is that any clearer?

What is the "station galley"? The duty watch eat on-board (I presume), thus the galley will be open. Plus there is Catering (i.e. stores, accounts, cleaning) to be done. I doubt there is much to do beyond that, keeping Watches/Duty and being on leave/weekenders.

justadrama

Lantern Swinger
Station galley = base, unit, camp, main kitchen. I.E. Where everybody gets fed thats not on a boat.

A watch chef obviously cooks for the rest of the watch, but what does a watch actually involve?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
JD - are you ex Army? Or Army cadets? Or even worse.........

A station is where trains arrive and depart. We have 'ashore' which tends to encompass everything.

Is stagging, which we also don't understand, a bit like dogging?

Ah, just seen anoher post - you are an ex Pongo - welcome. Get 'Jackspeak' and begin learning new language skills!!

justadrama

Lantern Swinger
And learn how to march and salute properly?? :)

Stagging on is not sexual in any way, it's not even remotely fun!
It means a guard shift.

So third time lucky,
When a chef is ashore and not on watch, what do they get to do?

I think you don't quite get it - if you're a chef in a submarine, you'll be cooking on the submarine. If you're not cooking, you'll be sorting out the catering, or doing the cleaning or a 101 other things that need doing on a boat/ship.

JR Chefs tend not to be allocated to shoreside galleys. If you're assigned a job ashore it'll either be cooking for a Senior Officer, working catering (as opposed to cooking), or doing a job that is open to any branch.

But I can't imagine a baby Chef getting a shore draft for the first 3 or 4 years.

justadrama

Lantern Swinger
I understand I'll be cooking on the submarine when the submarine is on patrol but for the 6 months or so its not on patrol the crew doesn't stay on the boat apart from the watch and there's only so many times you can clean a hob or count a tin of bits.

RabC

MIA
A slight topic drift but do sundodgers drafted to a boat but living in barracks during AMP etc have to PAYD or is it free?

I understand I'll be cooking on the submarine when the submarine is on patrol but for the 6 months or so its not on patrol the crew doesn't stay on the boat apart from the watch and there's only so many times you can clean a hob or count a tin of bits.

Well, the Boat's Company work on-board all day - so there's a meal for 120 blokes 5 times a week. Plus the Duty Watch eat on board, there's another 2 meals for the Duty Watch (20?) to be cooked up every day. If the galley is out of action, and they're eating ashore, you'll be in the shore side galley cooking scran 3 times a day. Given that the Duty Chef in a Frigate/Destroyer or Small Ship is working from 0530 - 1800ish, cooking up, clearing down, re-storing, re-ordering, and starting the cycle again for Lunch and Supper/Dinner*, you'll be working most of the time doing your core job.

*Depends on which mess you're in ;)

mikh

MIA
I doubt very much any boat will spend six months alongside in one stretch (unless things have changed greatly). When not on deployment the boat will be at sea, working up, training etc maybe even on a jolly

justadrama

Lantern Swinger
The cpo at the afco was/is sm, he said the watch only eats on board when alongside and because of payd there wouldn't be any need for a crews chef to work in the main kitchen.
He didn't say much else though.
I plan on going bomber so will be at fas if that makes a difference?

RabC

MIA
Sitting in Frigate Alley I seem to remember seeing "Muck-on-a-Truck" being a regular visitor to the sludge mariners is that still the case?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Waiting list for chef or chef (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Is anyone going in as a submariner chef and still waitin for a start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
C Apprentice chef RFA 2
H Chef question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
T Apprentice chef RFA 18
N Waiting times 2020 for a chef Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
N How tough is the competition to become a chef apprentice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Skylarker Being a Chef. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Chef Apprentice course RFA 24
O Advice - join from South Africa as Chef Joining the Royal Navy 5
B RFA chef apprentice. Joining the Royal Navy 21
H Does a Chef Apprentice have deep sea diving training for when fish stocks are low? RFA 29
Logisticogs Phase 2 - Chef training, Raleigh or Pompey? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
T I have recently applied for the apprentice chef role can anyone tell me when the sift is? RFA 6
U Difficulty getting into RFA as apprentice chef? RFA 28
D Submarine Chef Submariners 21
Wightsparker Watch your back, Chef.... Diamond Lil's 21
T Joining as a Chef Joining the Royal Navy 15
Kham Apprentice Chef work pattern RFA 15
J Chef Apprentice Gun Training. RFA 15
J Chef Apprentice Wages. RFA 5
J HMS Raleigh, Chef Apprentice. RFA 16
T Chef Course is the hardest? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
J Chef Training Joining the Royal Navy 11
J Chef Apprentice Guidance RFA 12
S Apprentice Chef Interview RFA 16
Ollie-O Cleverest Chef in the Fleet! Miscellaneous 22
Cap-H RFA Chef Apprenticeship/HMS Raleigh RFA 18
jacko_rn Chef Apprentice RFA 28
PedlarP Former Royal Navy chef jailed over £1m 'fake' sea bass scam The Quarterdeck 25
W Tall chef Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 49
Sgt Jobsearch Head Chef & Catering Manager - Shropshire - £30,000 plus benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
B recruitment test for chef Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
M Chef Promotion Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
andrew.davis910 Would going into the navy at 18 to be a chef be a decent job choice?? The Gash Barge 241
frogman007 One lucky chef The Quarterdeck 2
MoD_RSS News story: Front line Army chef commended MoD News 0
ForcesJobShop House Keeper/ Chef/ Handyman The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Harrods Role- Chef De Partie - Night Baker The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
I whats the waiting time for a chef Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Award Honour For Navy Chef" The Fleet 5
BeansOnToast? Chef training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Head Chef - Africa The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
sgtpepperband Master Chef Master Beatz The Internet - Best and Worst 0