Chef Course is the hardest?

joel

Midshipman
Sorry, I may be getting on a bit, but since when did they become 'Chefs'? They were always cooks in my day 70/80s. chef. [shef] the chief cook, especially in a restaurant or hotel, usually responsible for planning menus, ordering foodstuffs, overseeing food preparation, and supervising the kitchen staff. So per the dictionary we have junior acting probationary assistant OD's running around as 'Chefs' before they have even seen a galley, or passed out of Raleigh. FMD !!!
Canteen messing was in place before Jago's Mansions called in someone from J Lyons I think to sort out the messing shambles. General messing came into being for Shore Establishments and Capital Ships with Cooks as a non sub rating to carry out those duties. Officers Cooks were a non sub rating before that I think. Canteen Messing for smaller vessels continued until the 1960's I think.

WreckerL

War Hero
Canteen messing was in place before Jago's Mansions called in someone from J Lyons I think to sort out the messing shambles. General messing came into being for Shore Establishments and Capital Ships with Cooks as a non sub rating to carry out those duties. Officers Cooks were a non sub rating before that I think. Canteen Messing for smaller vessels continued until the 1960's I think.
You think a lot!!

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Does that mean that the then Admiral West, when described in the media as a former Navy chief, was really a chef?
He was. From Wikipedia:
Early career in the Royal Navy[edit]
West was born on 21 April 1948 in Lambeth, London, and was educated at Windsor Grammar School (now known as The Windsor Boys' School) and Clydebank High School.[1] He joined HMS Raleigh to be trained as a cook's mate and in 1965 and served in HMS Albion during her standby duty for the Nigerian Civil War he was taught to make Cheesy, Hammy Eggy Topside for the lads. He circumnavigated the globe in HMS Whitby, taking part in the Beira Patrol. At this time of tension, his speciality was shit on a raft with guardrails. He was promoted to sub-lieutenant as he was shit hot at making Corned Dog Hash. on 1 September 1969,[2] and promoted to lieutenant on 1 May 1970.[3] After his command of the Ton-class minesweeper HMS Yarnton in Hong Kong in 1973, he qualified as a principal warfare officer in 1975 and then served as operations officer in the frigate HMS Juno in 1976 and then the frigate HMS Ambuscade in 1977.[1] Promoted to lieutenant commander on 1 April 1978,[4] he attended the Royal Navy Staff College that year and then qualified as an advanced warfare officer before being posted to the destroyer HMS Norfolk in 1979.[1]

joel

Midshipman
Sorry, I may be getting on a bit, but since when did they become 'Chefs'? They were always cooks in my day 70/80s. chef. [shef] the chief cook, especially in a restaurant or hotel, usually responsible for planning menus, ordering foodstuffs, overseeing food preparation, and supervising the kitchen staff. So per the dictionary we have junior acting probationary assistant OD's running around as 'Chefs' before they have even seen a galley, or passed out of Raleigh. FMD !!!
The first Cooks to be made Warrant Officers were in 1913. They were called Warrant Instructor in Cookery.
Warrant Stewards followed in about 1933

joel

Midshipman
Just been told the first Warrant Instructors in Cookery were:-
Frederick William Collins
Frank Pharaoh
Alfonso Jago and that this Warrant Officer who died in 1928 was immortalized when HMS Vivid (now Drake) was called Jago's Mansions by the inmates.

WreckerL

War Hero
I was a greenie, does this all mean that when I got my buttons I was secretly transferred to cabbage mechanic?

Wightsparker

War Hero
Just been told the first Warrant Instructors in Cookery were:-
Frederick William Collins
Frank Pharaoh
Alfonso Jago and that this Warrant Officer who died in 1928 was immortalized when HMS Vivid (now Drake) was called Jago's Mansions by the inmates.

You are possibly missing the point of the thread. Did any of them pass the chefs' course?

(I always said good morning to the chief)