Chef Course is the hardest?

repoman

War Hero
Sorry, I may be getting on a bit, but since when did they become 'Chefs'? They were always cooks in my day 70/80s. chef. [shef] the chief cook, especially in a restaurant or hotel, usually responsible for planning menus, ordering foodstuffs, overseeing food preparation, and supervising the kitchen staff. So per the dictionary we have junior acting probationary assistant OD's running around as 'Chefs' before they have even seen a galley, or passed out of Raleigh. FMD !!!

repoman

War Hero
Dapper will know
1. The strict entry requirements
2. How long the course is
3. How many have passed it........

How much popcorn does it take to fill an olympic aswimming pool?
Popcorn questions are food questions, ask a cook not real matelots!

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Sorry, I may be getting on a bit, but since when did they become 'Chefs'?
About early 90's.
So per the dictionary we have junior acting probationary assistant OD's running around as 'Chefs' before they have even seen a galley, or passed out of Raleigh. FMD !!!
It's just a Royal Naval job title not a qualification. (A writer doesn't really write very much)
although on passing LCH qualifying course they are most defiantly Chefs in the real term of the word.
Not sure if you see it in Aus, but even blokes in pubs warming stuff up in a microwave call themselves chefs. If you ever watch Masterchef the Professionals, you'll see what I mean.

chef. [shef] the chief cook
Chef, literally means Chief.It's not necessarily to do with cooking. See here: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/chef-de-mission

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Tsk, PERSEC Dapps.

What is a food in schools toolkit? Hammer and chisel? Or spoon, gruel, for the supping of?
Sorry :p
Food in schools toolkit is a 'BR' that tries to bring everything to do with food and everyone who has anything to do with kids and bring it all together. Local Authority, Catering Manager, School Nurse, Food Tech Teachers, Teachers. Joined up thinking.

*Ben Bryant tells a mean but true dit of the time (during a wartime S/M patrol, note, when his boat's FW supplies were dangerously low, strictly rationed, etc. including an absolutely NO washing rule) when, unusually, the Cox'n wheeled the boats cooking person** in for an instant Captains table, by-passing the usual initial format of appearance before the boat's 1st Lt.

Serious Crime Here: Bryant was intrigued to hear that the guilty party had heinously contravened the strict FW regs. Key evidence presented being a comparison of all present's hands.

Both Ben's & the Cox'n's were understandably fairly deeply ingrained with oil, grease & dirt but the guilty party had clean pinkies - back, front, sides up to his wrist joints.

So you've been washing, eh? No, no sir!
Then how come your hands are spotless compared with ours then ? Says Ben.

Accused struggles for an answer, then the light comes on:
I was kneading and rolling that mince into meat balls during the middle watch, sir.
Brief pause with eye exchange 'twixt the CO & Grocer....Case dismissed, carry on.

**Shortly after that incident 'cooking persons' from the S & S branch, newly-submarine-qualified...ermm... 'chefs', were introduced into boats, supplementing those crew members previously detailed-orf for such chores.

*Later Rear Admiral Benjamin Bryant CB DSO** DSC (16 September 1905 – 23 November 1994) was a Royal Navyofficer noted for his submarine exploits during World War II. In terms of ships sunk, Bryant was the most successful British submarine ace to survive the war. wiki

This Dit is among Ben's exploits in HMS Sealion & Safari, recorded in his book << Submarine Commander - A Bantam War Book but first published in 1958>>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S RFA 24
O Joining the Royal Navy 5
B Joining the Royal Navy 14