Cheeky question

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Abitlikepopeyereally, Nov 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys!

I left the RN last December and have been offered a place in the RFA next summer, can't wait. However something that was said at my interview needs clearing up. The interviewer mentioned that in the RFA you can not drink even when your off duty. Did she mean just when your off duty at sea or on runs ashore also? Surely not?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Happy Remembrance Day.
  2. I thought it was 1 unit off watch and 0.5 units whilst going on watch (obviously don't drink before going on watch)!!! Not sure about whilst ashore though.
  3. She's speaking bollocks.

Firstly, all of the the ships have several bars.

Before someone who can remember the exact rule comes along, if I remember correctly the rule is something along the lines of you must be below the drink driving limit while on duty.

Runs ashore must be limited so that the above rule applies when you turn too for work.

And at sea the limit is different again (half the driving limit?) I can't remember exactly - but on paper the rules are very strict.

If the question was "Do people of all ranks in the RFA drink?" and the answer would simply be "Yes".
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's an interesting one. A lot of people seem to think the Navy is still the way it was of old with tots of rum & daily lunch-time piss ups whilst at sea.

The 'drink culture' is less outwardly apparent than it was when I joined (1981) and the attitude to drinking (and smoking) much improved in terms of a healthier lifestyle. OK, it's still not where it should be, but in my experience there's considerably less regular drinking at sea in the RN than there appears to be in the RFA.

Once we can get rid of sodomy and the lash, we're halfway there toward being a politically correct organisation. Ish ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Didn't you guys see the bulletin that came out a few weeks ago? All contracts commencing from the start of the 2016/17 financial year will require complete abstinence from alcohol while signed on articles or attending a training course. It's part of the Future Development benchmarking process where the RFA plan to gradually align with industry best practice, in this case the "dry" ships of the oil industry. The trade unions are making noise as usual, but no doubt HQ will just plough on.
  6. Sodomy is not compulsory.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not seen it, but not entirely surprised by it.

Duty Free fags & booze, whilst a bonus for holiday-makers travelling overseas , cannot realistically continue be justified as part & parcel of any job as a daily entitlement for an indefinite period - whether we like it or otherwise.
  8. You got a link, or could you copy paste the relevant bit? - I've had a search through and can't find anything in my old bulletins.
  9. Sorry to sound like a stupid matelot mate but 'signed on articles'? Onboard a vessel? So would that be including runs ashore? Thanks for the reply.
  10. I am tempted to produce a convincing looking bulletin. ;-)

Ship's articles of agreement are a somewhat archaic Merchant Navy element of your contract. You sign on articles when you join a ship, and sign off when you pay off. Some companies don't pay an annual salary and instead pay you only when signed on articles. Elements of pay in the RFA (e.g. SOTA) are linked, and more used to be linked, to being "on articles".

Can you remember who it was said that you would not be allowed to drink, or any more details? Was it an RFA officer/rating or a civil servant?
  11. Guys,

think you will find this is a red herring, i would use stronger but im too polite!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I'm glad I rewrote my first response to be less reactive now!
  13. also just to clear up

At sea - not at work/duty UK drink drive limit
    - at work/duty half UK drink drive limit

in port -at work/duty half UK drink drive limit
    - not at work/duty respond to an emergency

both, no rpt NO consumption within 4 hours of work/duty.
  14. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Now then, how about a wee bit of controversy!

Are these limts the Scottish ones, which are lower, or the remainder UK? If remainder, do they change if in Scottish waters?
  15. UK as in English, Welsh and NI

and NO as this is company policy. the limmits are in BrAC but equate to for easy reference. not wishing to go into the full figures, if you wish these then i suggest you visit the PRG. enjoy.......
  16. Spoilsport!

There is no direct link to the drink drive limits, the levels chosen coincided with the DD limits at the time.
  17. Ah, every days a school day. She was the RFA's HR manager, one of the people interviewing me. As I say my reason for asking you guys is that I may have got the wrong end of the stick, she wasn't clear wether this was just off duty at sea or on runs ashore, and I didn't feel like pressing the issue of alcohol at my interview ha.
  18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

A good thing too. The content of your post makes me think you've not only drank your booze allowance, but that of the entire ship's company.
  19. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Are you sure or are you just giving people the job title you think they have?
  20. Well she introduced herself by name and then said "I'm the RFA's HR Manager".