Chavs

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Stirling, Jun 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Why is 'chav' still controversial?

Everyone's missing the point, argues Labour MP Stephen Pound. The term chav just shows how jealous middle Britain is about working class people having fun.
    "Chav is an utterly misunderstood term. It is used in envy by the lily livered, privileged, pale, besuited bank clerk who sees people dressed up to the nines and going to the West End." It's no different, he argues to the Teddy Boys or Mods, youth style movements about asserting individual identity and confidence

2. Fancy being called Kevin and having a wife called Tracy

3. View attachment 1044 "Chav is an utterly misunderstood term. It is used in envy by the lily livered, privileged, pale, besuited bank clerk who sees people dressed up to the nines and going to the West End." It's no different, he argues to the Teddy Boys or Mods, youth style movements about asserting individual identity and confidence

What is so 'individualistic' about hoards wearing Burbury and Bling ?
    Is Our Steve remotely concerned that people who don't know the geographical swing between London and Kent are allowed to mass reproduce and the potential for national suicide this incurs?
    Is he worried that there are kids who ASPIRE to not read and write ?
    I hope they all upsticks and fuck off to his constituency, Good Luck Ealing North.

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I take it he never managed to fit a viewing of the 'Scheme' into his busy voting day.

Ok, who on here voted for this visionary?

5. Remind me, which one is he in his day job, Waldorf or Statler?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. An interesting academic take on the subject

<<Being identified as “chav” not only means having the place you live, the way you speak, the clothes you wear, your culture, habits, and lifestyle subject to perverse misrepresentation, mockery, and derision but also actively blocks your social mobility.>>

......Delete 'Chav' and insert 'Jack' and it will become familiar to many of us on here.:-|

http://ies.sas.ac.uk/events/seminars/Feminist/Tyler.pdf - By someone engaged in 'Feminist Media Studies'. Nuff Sed.

7. Probably why I do not find the likes of public school types like Walliams & Lucas funny, Chavs talking bollox = the local precinct.

8. Looking in this quote ;)......
    Guilty ! I like Primarni too...(must admit, NEVER on a Saturday.Manchester's was akin to a total scrum.Mid-week late afternoon suits this Model Citizen) :)
    As for a Chavlad laying a 6-pack of WKD40 at a girl's frontdoor.... tiny bit of me can't say I'd totally turn that down.Depends if he had all his own teeth or not......;)

9. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Similarly I do not watch Shameless as if I wanted to see people who both did not have jobs and could not behave themselves I would visit some of Mrs Jock's family!