Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chatham (Nore) Command Field Gun Crew

Everyone knows about the 3 command field gun crews: Guzz (all hail) :thumright: , Pompey & the WAFU's but, very little is mentioned about Chatham.

I am trying to get hold of info, including photos, about the Chatham crew. I am a Medway (Kent) resident & it seems that there is very little mention of Chatham's Field Gun history.

I believe the crew colour was yellow.
The crowd chant "Up an' at 'em Chatham!" originated with the competition. It has been adopted as HMS Chatham's motto - Serge Et Vince (Arise & Conquer).
One of the training runs included Bluebell Hill - a main road with a reasonably steep gradient between Chatham & Maidstone.

Any old hands with knowledge? :notworthy: Please!

andym

War Hero
You might want to see if you can get ths book on the History of the Field Gun."Guns and Guts: The story of the Field Gun Competition" by R A Wilson

andym said:
You might want to see if you can get ths book on the History of the Field Gun."Guns and Guts: The story of the Field Gun Competition" by R A Wilson

I'm having real problems locating this book anywhere on the web.
I'm beginning to feel like J.R. Hartley looking for his own book on fly fishing!

I am reading "Jack versus the Boers" for a little general background history.

Close_up_at_the_rush said:
andym said:

I'm having real problems locating this book anywhere on the web.
I'm beginning to feel like J.R. Hartley looking for his own book on fly fishing!

I am reading "Jack versus the Boers" for a little general background history.

Did you try www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk because that's what I got from Google.Maybe they can help you.
or try intranet.wellingtoncollege.org.uk because it lists this book as the text regarding the history of field gun.

Just as an aside, I 've been scanning YouTube (worktime and bored .....!!)
and found a little movie entitled 'British Army defends fieldgun title' :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BHn0e8-TDY

How long has the Army been involved in the fieldgun comp? - it also looks like they have a proper fieldgun.

One of the other vids on the tube also has a lady sailor in the gun team ?

2badge_mango

War Hero
whitemouse said:
Just as an aside, I 've been scanning YouTube (worktime and bored .....!!)
and found a little movie entitled 'British Army defends fieldgun title' :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BHn0e8-TDY

How long has the Army been involved in the fieldgun comp? - it also looks like they have a proper fieldgun.

One of the other vids on the tube also has a lady sailor in the gun team ?

TV series from a couple of years ago Dusty, (you were probably sunning it somewhere exotic and exciting at the time).
Female CPTI was running for Devonport in the Brickwoods competition.
Guzz were leading on points all the way but made a cock up in the final run and lost to the Army. Well worth watching if it's repeated.
I think it was simply called "Field gun" but may be wrong on that.

2BM

lsadirty

War Hero
Twas part of the BBC TV series SHIPMATES. There is a book covering the series, SHIPMATES, by Christopher Terrill, ISBN 1-8441-3791-0. Costs £20, but quite a good read: covers a variety of Naval life, including CHATHAM's tsunami relief stint.

2badge_mango

War Hero
No, not that one Isa. The one I watched was in several weekly parts and concentrated on the introduction to, and training of, the Guzz crew for the Brickwood's gun run, culminating in the final, which was, as stated above, won by the army. There was an excerpt from the series included in "Shipmates" which otherwise seemed to be dominated by a nutty padre who was exorcising a "spirit" from a building in Guzz dockyard.
(I know you're both ex Dusties, so I'll forestall any ribald comments by confirming that it was not the rum store!)

2BM

2badge_mango

War Hero
Answers to your queries, Whitemouse, appear to be :-
Army first entered competition in 2002.
The female CPTI ran in 2005 (when the army won).

2BM

2badge_mango said:
No, not that one Isa. The one I watched was in several weekly parts and concentrated on the introduction to, and training of, the Guzz crew for the Brickwood's gun run, culminating in the final, which was, as stated above, won by the army. There was an excerpt from the series included in "Shipmates" which otherwise seemed to be dominated by a nutty padre who was exorcising a "spirit" from a building in Guzz dockyard.
(I know you're both ex Dusties, so I'll forestall any ribald comments by confirming that it was not the rum store!)

2BM

The nutty padre was the Rev 'Mad' Mike Brotherton.
He spent time at Collingwood in the early 80s, went down south with Amazon & Penelope, he also did a stint in HMS Drake's 'Dungeon' coffee bar.
At one time he had a Parka jacket & rode around on his scooter which had 'boy about town' sprayed on the side. He also owned a Jeep Wrangler at one time.

Dawnl

Hi, my Dad was in the last filed Gun Run for Chatham in 1960 and yes he is still alive, we have some photo's but would like to track down any footage, I have tried the BBC but they have deleted it from their archives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

frogman007

War Hero
I can tell you Chathm's training tops were yellow. Don't think they ever got Silver, in fact pretty convinced they didn't.

Can people stop referring to that car park shite as field gun please? Officers and splits on the track! No thanks.

Walks away, whistling to himself. Smiling...

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I can tell you Chathm's training tops were yellow. Don't think they ever got Silver, in fact pretty convinced they didn't.

Can people stop referring to that car park shite as field gun please? Officers and splits on the track! No thanks.

Walks away, whistling to himself. Smiling...

Crabs and pongos enter as well now :confused2:

Peebs

Badgeman
Post war, the competition restarted in 1947, Chatham only won one trophy until they bowed out.
I think it was the fastest time cup.

I have seen footage of them training but can't remember where.

I'll have a search when I get on my laptop.

frogman007

War Hero
Post war, the competition restarted in 1947, Chatham only won one trophy until they bowed out.
I think it was the fastest time cup.

I have seen footage of them training but can't remember where.

I'll have a search when I get on my laptop.

So no silver then.

Dawnl

Yes, 1951 Fastest time cup, then last run 1960. would be great even to find training footage, 1960 is what I'm really interested in as my Dad ran.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Dive Bar - Chatham The Gash Barge 7
janner Chatham History 7
Vesper HMS President WW1 Restoration Chatham Docks Charity 34
F Chatham Field Gun Crews 1951 & 1952 Social & Reunions 2
MoD_RSS Speech: Sir Alan Duncan addresses the Chatham House Latin America Conference 2018 MoD News 0
W Chatham F.M.U. The Quarterdeck 1
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
E Walk down to HMS PEMBROKE, Chatham Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Foreign Secretary Speech at Chatham House London Conference 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary’s speech at Cyber 2017 Chatham House Conference MoD News 0
T Chatham Field Gun Crew 1953 Social & Reunions 5
soleil Mail: "Google SUB View: Explore Chatham's Last Naval Submarine" Submariners 3
janner Chatham Travel & The Great Outdoors 7
soleil Medway Messenger: "HMS Chatham Bell Coming Home" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Crew bids farewell to HMS Chatham Current Affairs 14
SEP86 Hms chatham decommissioning The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS HMS Chatham's final homecoming Current Affairs 3
soleil BBC: "In Pictures: HMS Chatham Final Return To Plymouth" The Fleet 1
trelawney126 Hms chatham pays off Current Affairs 0
M HMS Chatham The Quarterdeck 0
soleil BBC: "Town Parade In Kent For Retiring Frigate HMS Chatham" The Fleet 0
Astronomican HMS Chatham The Fleet 5
soleil Navy News: "Chatham Pays Her Respects To Royal Oak" The Fleet 0
soleil BBC Kent: "HMS Chatham Returns To Chatham Dockyard" The Fleet 2
soleil Chatham House: Strategy in Austerity: Security and Defence Current Affairs 0
Seaweed At 'em, Chatham! Current Affairs 4
Naval_Gazer BBC News: HMS Chatham foils Somali pirates again The Fleet 2
HarryBosch HMS Chatham foils pirates Current Affairs 6
soleil MoD: "HMS Chatham rescues Yemeni fishermen" The Fleet 1
soleil Navy News: "Chatham takes up the fight against pirates" The Fleet 0
soleil HMS Chatham arrives in Gulf of Aden for Counter-Piracy Op The Fleet 0
soleil "Sailors from HMS Chatham pay their respects to the Fallen" The Fleet 0
soleil Navy News: "HMS Chatham comes of age" The Fleet 1
soleil VIC 96 on its way to Chatham via Tyneside History 1
K Chatham House - National Defence in the Age of Austerity Current Affairs 2
JackProof Chatham Watering Holes (Circa 1980) Bases / Shore Est 26
MasterChief Great Lines - Chatham - Rememberance Sunday The Quarterdeck 0
BillyNoMates Chatham Dockyard Submariners 14
MasterChief Rememberance Sunday @ The Great Lines Chatham Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
N Pics from Inside HMS/m Ocelot Chatham History 7
W LIFT SHARE TO RMR LONDON/CHATHAM FROM IPSWICH AREA RMR 1
Canaldrifter Chatham Maritime Museum History 10
MasterChief Chatham. HMS PEMBROKE MEMORIAL PARADE Current Affairs 6
MasterChief HMS WILDFIRE (CHATHAM) Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS Commander Strategic Command Commendations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Work of Strategic Command personnel recognised in Queen’s Birthday Honours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commander Strategic Command, General Sir Patrick Sanders’ Speech at the Air and Space Power Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Command facility construction set to restart MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl Pioneers Future Submarine Command Space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Visions for Strategic Command outlined during inaugural RUSI Conference MoD News 0