Chatham Dockyard

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by BillyNoMates, Jul 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. where this photograph was taken. I much confused.
    Answers please on a crisp new £20 note to:

Perplexed of Plymouth
    "The Ex-Submariners Rest Home for the permanently puzzled"

2. With HMS Ocelot in the middle.

And at the front?
  3. A Soviet submarine......a SMALL Soviet submarine......a model
    of a BIG Soviet submarine...only smaller? Or is the Soviet Submarine
    "Actual Size" and therefore the Diesel Boat is a Model....only it's been
    constructed 20 times its actual size?

4. Good hint, Scouse, may well be a Victor III class sub (Soviet) as shown in The World is not Enough.
  5. Contibutor Mode

You may also find the Sea Cat Missile Launcher on the front deck of the Russian Submarine in in fact actually on the rear superstructure of HMS Cavalier.

6. I despair. Is nothing sacred?

A Sea Cat missile launcher on Cavalier? Never Sir!

That would be the equivalent of removing the masts from Victory, and replacing them with funnels.

7. Sorry to disappoint all the doubters... :(

But that is Cavalier with a missile launcher - for confirmation, you can view it, and other piccies, on the Chatham Historic Dockyard website.

Forgot to add the web address :oops:

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Almost as confusing as when I saw a Soviet submarine in a Hayling Island boatyard ...

It was a model (superstructure only) used in a James Bond film.
  9. That's the case here, too.

The Soviet sub in the picture is a model and not the real McCoy. It was made by a company called Turk's in their shipyard (which is actually in Chatham Dockyard itself) to represent a Victor III class sub for The World is Not Enough. I'm not sure whether it's fully fitted out inside or is just a shell though, nor the scale it's built on.

One of the Chatham Historic Dockyard Assistants told me this pm.
  10. For all my Wafu friends out their in RR world their is a Dragonfly Helo in front of the Ocelot/Cavalier/Mini Sub /Square Rigger :w00t: :thumright:
  11. Moderator Mode

It would appear that I have consigned Scouse's post to the dustbin in the belief it was a double posting. It was the length of the photograph that confused my addled mind.

Well that my excuse.

I must try harder to concentrate X 100

12. try this oppo
  13. what is the submarine in Rochester harbour ? listing badly looks a bit like a kurshk class/lookalike :w00t: