Charles Dickens

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by seafarer1939, Dec 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just back from a few Sunday straighteners and A Christmas Carol is on the box with the wonderful Alastair Sim in it.
    Has there ever been a better diverse author than Dickens?
    I remember passing his house in Pompey but I never realised the breadth of his skill until later.
    The French/Germans/Yanks and all the rest of the world can't hold a candle to the British for literature.
    We were the best,Swift /Thackeray, I'm beginning to read them all now
    Enjoy our British authors when you can.
    Except Hank Janson books in the early fifties? the original dirty book.
    Who remembers them?
    "He reached out and brushed her breasts"us kids went wild with lust and anyone in the vicinity was liable to be killed from exploding fly buttons!
    Happy memories! sex was a mystery then that needed to be explored,not now.
    It's in your face all the time!is that a cliche or a metaphor?

2. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the younkers:

seafarer1939 - "Do you like Dickens?"

Essex Girl - "Dunno, I've never been to one."

3. Buffer to crew: 'At 15.00 hrs the Captain will deliver a lecture on Keats in the hangar. And i dont suppose one of you ignorant bastards knows what a Keat is.' :)

4. Couldn't agree more seafarer, Dickens was both an outstanding author and a great social commentator on mid-Victorian England. The pictures his words paint in my mind set my imagination racing and I feel like I am actually there at times when I read his work. My GP is aware of this.

I do see your point regarding British authors, but we should remember that we recognise the tales because we can relate to them culturally (and, of course, linguistically) more than foreign ones. To Kill a Mockingbird and Anna Karenina (in translation!) are examples of foreign classics I have enjoyed immensely. Not to mention Tintin.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  5. He was excellent at making a point in his works about the time he lived in. The plotlines and characters are developed, well thought out and really do come alive. Sometimes his work is a little difficult to get into though

I also liked Tintin, and I've got several of them, one a souvenir from Belgium in Flemish. Asterix and Obelix is the other foreign comic book I liked. I have many happy memories of reading those, and, when I was older, reading them to my younger siblings & cousins. I still have them, for nostalgia.

Of Mice and Men is a modern classic, and I would never had read that literary gem if it wasn't for GCSE English Lit.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. Agree with you on both points S39. I have always been a great fan of Dickens. When I researched my family history I found four generations in Southwark (Bankside, Park Street, Clink Sreet, St.Margarets Court, etc.) all within spitting distance of the scenes that he described, and bracketing his lifetime, so I guess that they lived similar lives, in similar surroundings. Another offshoot of the family were Thames watermen in Deptford, and lived in the romantically named Slaughterhouse Lane, (sounds like fun!), so when I've been rersearching in that area, scenes from his stories have always come to mind, particularly after dark.
    The Hank Janson period started around 1949 I think (I was 13/14), and lasted (for me) until I joined up in '52. Our local "not very nice" paper shop used to sell them, and he would keep a copy of each new title for me as they came out.
    Happy days!

2BM

• Like Like x 1
  7. Have a few of his books on the shelf at home although "A Tale of Two Cities" is my favourite.

8. ================================================================

================================================================

I always considered this line rather appropriate for arriving at COLLINGWOOD to commence Mechs course:

'Get me a file and vittles or I'll have your heart and liver out.'

Magwitch to Pip, Great Expectations* (Film version - David Lean, 1946)

[​IMG]

*BBC1 Tues 27th Dec 2100. Great Expectations - New dramatisation in 3 parts

Ray Winstone reprises the Magwitch role in this production. A born screen 'villain' so he should make a good fist of it.

( Mech 37R. '66 - '68 )

9. Pray tell what the fcuk has "Tin Tin" got to do with Charles Dickens??? One (Herge') is a comic strip author and the other is a literary genius! Or do you prefer to look at pictures instead of exercising the grey matter and reading???????? Jezzzzzzzzzz!

10. MG,

Admiralty-Scruffkins is just as entitled to offer his opinions as anyone else registering at RR.

Just console yourself by remembering that his are of no value.:evil2:

11. Dickens was a genius. His books painted Britain for what it was in those times. Unlike that toss pot Shakespeare. At least a book by Dickens was readable.

And Tintin evokes such happy memories of childhood unlike Magwich who to be honest as a child watching Great Expectations for the first time scared the living crap out of me!!!!!! Put me off playing in the churchyard for years!!!!

12. Quite agree ... Great Expectations was the set book when I was doing my O Levels back in the dark ages and Dickens does paint a very "dark" picture. Mind ... they wheel out "A Christmas Carol" every year (and must admit it is one of my all time favorites) and the description of the "Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come" is enough to scare the holy crap out of most kids!

13. lol! yeah I know ... was just [​IMG]

14. ==============================================================

==============================================================

How about nominating some RR members for roles as Dicken's Characters?

ie Blackrat for Bill Sykes - Magda for his Nancy - Finks for Ebenezer Scrooge - Guzzler for the Artful Dodger - Welchyy for Uriah Heap - SeaDog as Daniel Quilp - Admiralty-Scruffy - as Smike - Purple Twiglet as Bumble the Beadle - Soliel as Clara Peggoty etc.

Refresh your memories here! Dickens' Characters Page

15. Ahh ... but who are you going to cast Monty as???????????????

16. For some reason Martin Chuzzlewit springs to mind, but there again so does Mr Pecksniff.

17. Uriah Heep ??????????

18. Scheming he may be, but "ever so 'umble" !!!!!!!

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Awesome cider is that dickens.

Just ask any bird if she fancys one.

Dickens Cider.... :)

• Like Like x 1

20. Reminds me of another:

BOOTWU - Do you like Dorking?

Any girl - Don't know, I've never dorked.