Charges dropped against Squaddie who deserted.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by alacrity174, Sep 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I reckon that the big knob thinks he will get public sympathy for claiming opposition to the war in Afghanistan, whereas in reality he's just a worthless [email protected] who deserted two years ago because he hated hard work and was unlucky enough to get caught. He doesn't look like the cream of the armed services and the sooner he's in Colchester and out of uniform the better for all concerned. No doubt Liberty or some such group will try to make him into a victim. :pukeright: :pukeright:

2. From the BBC report:

<<An MoD spokesman said: "Two charges of disobeying a lawful command were dropped.

"As the matter is subject to court martial proceedings, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage." >>

Have to see what AARSE has to offer.....Zips to Lipz?

3. BOOTW

Mate, the charges have been dropped, ergo they are not part of the Court Martial so we can all discuss this part, just not the remaining charge of Desertion.

I would think that being issued an order to deploy and then not deploying with your unit without a very good and legitimate reason is an easy charge to prove, but then again was never a reggie so what would I know.

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

These weren't the orders that the dropped charges related to.
    Probably a political decision to drop these charges to remove any potential for the media to make a thing about free-speech and Glenton being "gagged".

5. A 174 - Yes I do see that part.

And, from what he has already said on record, it is unlikely that there will be much public sympathy for him, especially having been an alleged deserter for two years already. Let justice be done.

6. The rules, and Cabinet Office guidelines, have changed recently and it becomes a much more difficult issue to debate legally. It depends on how the ''lawful order'' was given, was it explicit or was it just the extant rules?

I note the distinction between what is, and is not, acceptable in RR has already been highlighted.

7. Or is it that they do not think that they can show that to be a lawful order?

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Quote - An MoD spokesman said: "Two charges of disobeying a lawful command were dropped.

"As the matter is subject to court martial proceedings, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

I see, good one, where you born a tube!

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Fair point - I was just trying to illustrate that the automatic assumption that the disobeyed order was his movement order to Afghanistan was incorrect and that this case is a potential media minefield.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The lawful command in this case had nothing to do with GLENTON's Assignment Order to deploy to Afghanistan (regardless of the legality of that campaign), but rather the specific instructions he was issued to not discuss his case with anyone other than his CO or the Investigators - this included the media, which he quite clearly did in the build up to his Court Martial. All suspects are informed of this, as it can contaminate any witness statements that may still need to be obtained, or could influence the suspect's own account when he is subsequently interviewed under caution (during which, one of the first things a Policeman will ask him/her is "...has anything been said or done prior to this interview which may influence your answers to my questions?"). The ideal answer is "No", of course. But after having his face plastered all over the TV and in the newspapers, it is quite apparent that GLENTON contravened the lawful command.

For further information, this is the text of the letter handed into Downing Street by GLENTON on 30 Jul 09:

"Dear Mr Brown,

I am writing to you as a serving soldier in the British Army to express my views and concerns on the current conflict in Afghanistan.

It is my primary concern that the courage and tenacity of my fellow soldiers has become a tool of American foreign policy.

I believe this unethical short-changing of such proud men and women has caused immeasurable suffering not only to families of British service personnel who have been killed and injured, but also to the noble people of Afghanistan.

I have seen qualities in the Afghan people which have also been for so long apparent and admired in the British soldier. Qualities of robustness, humour, utter determination and unwillingness to take a step backwards.

However, it is these qualities, on both sides, which I fear will continue to cause a state of attrition. These will only lead to more heartbreak within both our societies.

I am not a general nor am I a politician and I cannot claim any mastery of strategy. However, I am a soldier who has served in Afghanistan, which has given me some small insight.

I believe that when British military personnel submit themselves to the service of the nation and put their bodies into harm's way, the government that sends them into battle is obliged to ensure that the cause is just and right, i.e. for the protection of life and liberty.

The war in Afghanistan is not reducing the terrorist risk, far from improving Afghan lives it is bringing death and devastation to their country. Britain has no business there.

I do not believe that our cause in Afghanistan is just or right. I implore you, Sir, to bring our soldiers home."

Yours sincerely,

Joe Glenton

Lance/Corporal, Royal Logistics Corps."

11. A very well worded letter with admirable sentiments. Why am I doubtful that L/Cpl Glenton wrote it all on his own? :?