Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charges dropped against Squaddie who deserted.

I reckon that the big knob thinks he will get public sympathy for claiming opposition to the war in Afghanistan, whereas in reality he's just a worthless [email protected] who deserted two years ago because he hated hard work and was unlucky enough to get caught. He doesn't look like the cream of the armed services and the sooner he's in Colchester and out of uniform the better for all concerned. No doubt Liberty or some such group will try to make him into a victim. :pukeright: :pukeright:
 
From the BBC report:

<<An MoD spokesman said: "Two charges of disobeying a lawful command were dropped.

"As the matter is subject to court martial proceedings, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage." >>


Have to see what AARSE has to offer.....Zips to Lipz?
 

alacrity174

War Hero
BOOTW

Mate, the charges have been dropped, ergo they are not part of the Court Martial so we can all discuss this part, just not the remaining charge of Desertion.

I would think that being issued an order to deploy and then not deploying with your unit without a very good and legitimate reason is an easy charge to prove, but then again was never a reggie so what would I know.
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
alacrity174 said:
I would think that being issued an order to deploy and then not deploying with your unit without a very good and legitimate reason is an easy charge to prove, but then again was never a reggie so what would I know.

These weren't the orders that the dropped charges related to.
BBC Story said:
L/Cpl Glenton had faced charges of disobeying a lawful command, which was not to speak to the media, but these will no longer be pursued.

Probably a political decision to drop these charges to remove any potential for the media to make a thing about free-speech and Glenton being "gagged".
 
alacrity174 said:
BOOTW

Mate, the charges have been dropped, ergo they are not part of the Court Martial so we can all discuss this part, just not the remaining charge of Desertion.

I would think that being issued an order to deploy and then not deploying with your unit without a very good and legitimate reason is an easy charge to prove, but then again was never a reggie so what would I know.

A 174 - Yes I do see that part.

And, from what he has already said on record, it is unlikely that there will be much public sympathy for him, especially having been an alleged deserter for two years already. Let justice be done.
 

Karma

War Hero
FlagWagger said:
Probably a political decision to drop these charges to remove any potential for the media to make a thing about free-speech and Glenton being "gagged".

The rules, and Cabinet Office guidelines, have changed recently and it becomes a much more difficult issue to debate legally. It depends on how the ''lawful order'' was given, was it explicit or was it just the extant rules?

I note the distinction between what is, and is not, acceptable in RR has already been highlighted.
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
FlagWagger said:
BBC Story said:
L/Cpl Glenton had faced charges of disobeying a lawful command, which was not to speak to the media, but these will no longer be pursued.

Probably a political decision to drop these charges to remove any potential for the media to make a thing about free-speech and Glenton being "gagged".
Or is it that they do not think that they can show that to be a lawful order?
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Quote - An MoD spokesman said: "Two charges of disobeying a lawful command were dropped.

"As the matter is subject to court martial proceedings, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."




I see, good one, where you born a tube!
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Joe_Crow said:
FlagWagger said:
BBC Story said:
L/Cpl Glenton had faced charges of disobeying a lawful command, which was not to speak to the media, but these will no longer be pursued.

Probably a political decision to drop these charges to remove any potential for the media to make a thing about free-speech and Glenton being "gagged".
Or is it that they do not think that they can show that to be a lawful order?

Fair point - I was just trying to illustrate that the automatic assumption that the disobeyed order was his movement order to Afghanistan was incorrect and that this case is a potential media minefield.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The lawful command in this case had nothing to do with GLENTON's Assignment Order to deploy to Afghanistan (regardless of the legality of that campaign), but rather the specific instructions he was issued to not discuss his case with anyone other than his CO or the Investigators - this included the media, which he quite clearly did in the build up to his Court Martial. All suspects are informed of this, as it can contaminate any witness statements that may still need to be obtained, or could influence the suspect's own account when he is subsequently interviewed under caution (during which, one of the first things a Policeman will ask him/her is "...has anything been said or done prior to this interview which may influence your answers to my questions?"). The ideal answer is "No", of course. But after having his face plastered all over the TV and in the newspapers, it is quite apparent that GLENTON contravened the lawful command.

For further information, this is the text of the letter handed into Downing Street by GLENTON on 30 Jul 09:

"Dear Mr Brown,

I am writing to you as a serving soldier in the British Army to express my views and concerns on the current conflict in Afghanistan.

It is my primary concern that the courage and tenacity of my fellow soldiers has become a tool of American foreign policy.

I believe this unethical short-changing of such proud men and women has caused immeasurable suffering not only to families of British service personnel who have been killed and injured, but also to the noble people of Afghanistan.

I have seen qualities in the Afghan people which have also been for so long apparent and admired in the British soldier. Qualities of robustness, humour, utter determination and unwillingness to take a step backwards.

However, it is these qualities, on both sides, which I fear will continue to cause a state of attrition. These will only lead to more heartbreak within both our societies.

I am not a general nor am I a politician and I cannot claim any mastery of strategy. However, I am a soldier who has served in Afghanistan, which has given me some small insight.

I believe that when British military personnel submit themselves to the service of the nation and put their bodies into harm's way, the government that sends them into battle is obliged to ensure that the cause is just and right, i.e. for the protection of life and liberty.

The war in Afghanistan is not reducing the terrorist risk, far from improving Afghan lives it is bringing death and devastation to their country. Britain has no business there.

I do not believe that our cause in Afghanistan is just or right. I implore you, Sir, to bring our soldiers home."

Yours sincerely,

Joe Glenton

Lance/Corporal, Royal Logistics Corps."
 
sgtpepperband said:
"Dear Mr Brown,

I am writing to you as a serving soldier in the British Army to express my views and concerns on the current conflict in Afghanistan.

It is my primary concern that the courage and tenacity of my fellow soldiers has become a tool of American foreign policy.

I believe this unethical short-changing of such proud men and women has caused immeasurable suffering not only to families of British service personnel who have been killed and injured, but also to the noble people of Afghanistan.

I have seen qualities in the Afghan people which have also been for so long apparent and admired in the British soldier. Qualities of robustness, humour, utter determination and unwillingness to take a step backwards.

However, it is these qualities, on both sides, which I fear will continue to cause a state of attrition. These will only lead to more heartbreak within both our societies.

I am not a general nor am I a politician and I cannot claim any mastery of strategy. However, I am a soldier who has served in Afghanistan, which has given me some small insight.

I believe that when British military personnel submit themselves to the service of the nation and put their bodies into harm's way, the government that sends them into battle is obliged to ensure that the cause is just and right, i.e. for the protection of life and liberty.

The war in Afghanistan is not reducing the terrorist risk, far from improving Afghan lives it is bringing death and devastation to their country. Britain has no business there.

I do not believe that our cause in Afghanistan is just or right. I implore you, Sir, to bring our soldiers home."

Yours sincerely,

Joe Glenton

Lance/Corporal, Royal Logistics Corps."

A very well worded letter with admirable sentiments. Why am I doubtful that L/Cpl Glenton wrote it all on his own? :?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Charges dropped against 'Veteren', now he seeks damages Current Affairs 35
MoD_RSS Milton Keynes District Council joins HM Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local land charges searches made simpler and more accessible MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA final decision on air traffic control charges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS East Lindsey District Council joins HM Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Data charges removed for websites supporting victims of crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Carlisle City Council becomes latest local authority to join central Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
G Depth Charges Submariners 34
MoD_RSS UK airlines to save millions as navigation charges deferred MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA review of air traffic control charges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mobile networks remove data charges for online NHS coronavirus advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS prescription charges from 1 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local Land Charges searches for Peterborough City Council are now available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local land charges searches for Peterborough City Council are unavailable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Watford Borough Council becomes latest local authority to join Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New online vehicle checker to help drivers prepare for clean air zones with charges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Peterborough City Council joins HM Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lambeth Council joins HM Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local land charges searches for Norwich are now available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Norwich City Council joins HM Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local Land Charges searches for Warwick District Council are now available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Home Office to scrap 101 non-emergency number charges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: NHS prescription charges from April 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Isles of Scilly joins HM Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sellafield commuter bus charges announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: CMA tackles loyalty penalty charges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sellafield commuter bus charges announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Blackpool Council joins HM Land Registry’s digital Local Land Charges Register MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK response to Saudi Arabia announcement of charges following the death of Jamal Khashoggi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Environment Agency announces increases to charges for boaters MoD News 0
P Food and accommodation charges before or after tax? Joining the Royal Navy 11
S New Housing Charges The Quarterdeck 2
R Accommodation Charges UPO 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO statement on charges against Sheikh Ali Salman of Al Wefaq MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Excess baggage charges! Diamond Lil's 0
scouse Dave C s mates face more charges Diamond Lil's 7
P Accommodation Charges whilst married ??? UPO 2
soleil Birmingham Mail: " Fury As City Council Charges Navy To Use Victoria Square" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
L dentist charges Health & Fitness 3
T Venables To Escape Charges Over Child Porn Current Affairs 51
O Rememberance Day Charges Current Affairs 19
tommo How not to claim bank charges back Diamond Lil's 2
P Criminal charges over Tireless explosion Current Affairs 1
sgtpepperband Four face charges over Rhys death Current Affairs 7
NotmeChief Bin charges are coming Current Affairs 0
sgtpepperband Donorgate police 'to press criminal charges' Current Affairs 12
wet_blobby Israel minister..war crimes charges? Current Affairs 42
R Food Charges and PAYD Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 97
whitemouse No charges...? Current Affairs 10
Bergen Guantanamo Bay - USN Captains Dismiss Charges Diamond Lil's 1
Similar threads


















































New Posts

Top