Channel 4: March 15th: 2100: "Heston's Mission Impossible"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Heston's final challenge is to shake up the stodgy menu on a Navy submarine. With sailors lacking in energy and nutrients, Heston cooks up some brain fuel and brings a Michelin-standard storage technique to the ship's kitchen. But will his menu be granted a seat at the Captain's table?"

About Heston's Mission Impossible - Channel4 - 4Food
  2. I've always had quality scran on every boat I've had, certainly not stodgy, dunno about the nutrients bit though.
  3. With the dreggs of the cold/coolroom and the dry stores in the last couple of days of a thirteen weeker?
  4. I'd like to see Heston do something outstanding with that.
  5. He is renowned for his innovative cooking methods - let's see what he does with hydraulic fluid!!!
  6. it was filmed on Turbs..and Heston did little or actually NO cooking whilst on Turbs...
    he brought his scran down from home and served it onboard...
  7. This chap's all over the telly at the moment. It's no longer all quiet on the Heston front...
  8. Ouch.......... :p
  9. Hopefully if nothing else it will give Joe public some idea of how little money the chefs and logs guys have to work with
  10. I think someone in the documentary about Manchester's Windies deployment said the victualling allowance was currently £2.34 per head per day but I could have misheard. The larger the ship's company, the smaller the amount.
  11. N_G, you are either right, or damn close to it. I saw that too in the windies programme. Quite amazing realy. I heard Prisons have more to spend than that but I aint seen an article on it anywhere so might be hearsay
  12. A mate of mine who was on there at the time said "His scran was shit!".
  13. I hope he didn't offer any of that "snail porridge" he does, I really don't like the sound of that.
  14. More chemist than chef.
  15. It looks like Army-style Rat Packs or US MREs (Meals-Ready-to-Eat... although other words are frequently used!) could be on the menu in future. I'm not sure how this would go down (geddit?) but look forward to watching the programme.
  16. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

That's pretty close AFAIK. Hospital patients have £2.80 per head per day, prisoners get on average £4.50 per head per day. I won't say what I think as it will probably end up in a warning or a ban :(