Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 4: "Armed Forces’ Involvement In Sectarian Rangers ‘Party’ Was A PR Disaster"

soleil

War Hero
Last edited:
G

guestm

Jesus Christ.

We really have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot throwing our non-too-bright personnel into situations where they can royally **** up.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
During my time in the mob, serving in Scotland in the late 80's/early 90's there seemed to be nearly more religious intolerance than there was intolerance of the English. Anything Celtic/Rangers still seems sure to stir-up more animosity than English atrocities committed a few centuries ago.

I'm not even sure Scotland has agreed to a ceasefire with Argentina, to be perfectly honest.

soleil

War Hero

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Can we be 100% sure the squaddies aren't just getting down to the feel of the event and having a bit of a boogie and a wave?

I can't understand a ****ing word of what is being sung, I'd wager at least some of those squaddies were dicked to do a little parade at the footy and thought: "Oooh look, everyone is cheering and singing, let's wave and dance along."

Once there, without a clue about the wider context of the songs or what was going on, they just cheering and dancing along with the crowd, innocently assuming it was all about football.

Of course some will know exactly what is going on, but that doesn't account for all.

Backwards Scottish ****s. The sooner they vote themselves out of this country the better.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst you might think its a joke NS, some of those who were there might want this to disappear quickly. For a while now this law has been convicting one or two.
Rest assured I don't think it a joke from either side of the divide. I think it's pathetic and about time the sectarianism was stamped out in schools in Scotland as well as at football matches & anywhere else much the same as racism in English football and schools.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
A lot of the guy's were wearing white hackles, therefore 2 SCOTS, recruited in Glasgow. If these guys had not been on a freebie in uniform, many would have been on the terraces.

G

guestm

Of course some will know exactly what is going on, but that doesn't account for all.

All the more reason for someone with rank and a brain to say "Look fellas, enjoy yourselves but behave professionally as uniformed personnel in public and don't get involved in any of that bollocks."

All the more reason for someone with rank and a brain to say "Look fellas, enjoy yourselves but behave professionally as uniformed personnel in public and don't get involved in any of that bollocks."

If this is the SCOTS, then there is a decent chance they do that bollocks in uniform in barracks. The single worst thing about being based in Faslane is the sectarian bullshit you see day in, day out.

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
You can't blame them, when you see what Celtic fans get up to it's sickening. I went to Dartmouth with a guy whose father was a policeman murdered by the IRA and the man who murdered him was later elected as their local MP! It's disgusting and when Celtic drop that sort of attitude then maybe we can condemn the Rangers fans. People talk of the Shamrock Awakening with the gradual rapproachment between Irish Nationalists and Unionists (inviting the Queen to visit, observing Rememberance Day etc) so if people complain about this we should challenge them "Ok then, have Celtic invite our servicemen to their game and see how they're treated?"

I must have walked around Faslane with my eyes shut because I can honestly say I never seen any. And I'm normally very good at spotting the early signs of that shite.

Small Ships Berths, there are some heads down by the fast food van, full of graffiti with a sectarian bent. Same same if you went into some of the workshops. And as an added bonus, "banter" over the latest "Old Firm" game.

G

guestm

You can't blame them, when you see what Celtic fans get up to it's sickening. I went to Dartmouth with a guy whose father was a policeman murdered by the IRA and the man who murdered him was later elected as their local MP! It's disgusting and when Celtic drop that sort of attitude then maybe we can condemn the Rangers fans. People talk of the Shamrock Awakening with the gradual rapproachment between Irish Nationalists and Unionists (inviting the Queen to visit, observing Rememberance Day etc) so if people complain about this we should challenge them "Ok then, have Celtic invite our servicemen to their game and see how they're treated?"

You went to Dartmouth? How the hell did you get through AIB possessing that abysmally flawed argument by refraction mindset?

"You can't blame them". Lads will be lads eh?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If you mean there should be a greater effort to education youngsters at school about the problem I fully agree.
The problem is perpetuated by students being taught about sectarianism in school from people who inherited their prejudices from their parents and pass them on as 'fact' to the next generation under the guise of history from a biased viewpoint.

For as long as intolerance is taught as a subject on the curriculum rather than actively stamped out as being criminal, behaviour such as this will continue on the terraces. For a nation I otherwise have the greatest respect & admiration, it saddens me that this behaviour is considered acceptable on both sides of a divide and has been for so long a blight.

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
And we have another winner folks, 'whataboutery' at its finest.

You honestly went to Dartmouth, were you the plate licker?

Sure did, as a PWO. Did you? Were you the 'plate licker'? To care for the Irish Republicanism's victims is not wrong and to point out the bigotry and hypocrisy of Irish Nationalism is no crime. In fact it's a moral duty, we've let them away with too much for far too long
Racist Celtic fans chant IRA - YouTube

When our guys can go to Celtic games and have the same rapturous welcome I'll find something wrong with Rangers

Last edited:

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
You went to Dartmouth? How the hell did you get through AIB possessing that abysmally flawed argument by refraction mindset?

"You can't blame them". Lads will be lads eh?

Yep, sure did and sailed through AIB with top marks thanks to my intelligence and reasoned discsussion. You can't blame then after all they have suffered at the hands of Irish Nationalism and the unfettered sectarianism of Celtic supporters;
Google Image Result for http://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article897066.ece/ALTERNATES/s2197/ira-banner-man-493203902-897066.jpg

G

guestm

Yep, sure did and sailed through AIB with top marks thanks to my intelligence and reasoned discsussion. You can't blame then after all they have suffered at the hands of Irish Nationalism and the unfettered sectarianism of Celtic supporters;
Google Image Result for http://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article897066.ece/ALTERNATES/s2197/ira-banner-man-493203902-897066.jpg

We're not ignorant, you don't have to keep posting Celtic links. Actions of one half doesn't excuse those of the other nor the behaviour of Forces personnel in public.

jaggers

Lantern Swinger
Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Channel 5: On Board Britain's Nuclear Submarine: Trident - Wednesday, November 4th 2020 - 9 PM Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Commission seeks new trustees at Sikh Channel charity MoD News 0
guns1969 Channel Security Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS P-8 Poseidon aircraft to support Border Force operations in the Channel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eleven arrested linked with illegally facilitating Channel crossings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Priti Patel and new French Interior Minister agree action on Channel crossings MoD News 0
higthepig Channel 5 The Quarterdeck 8
soleil D. Star: "Royal Navy Warship Intercepts Four Russian Vessels In English Channel" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS New Charity Inquiry: Sikh Channel Community Broadcasting Company Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s independent seat at WTO to include Channel Islands MoD News 0
S Is HMS Raleigh like the Channel 4 programme makes it out to be? Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS News story: Undulate Ray by-catch allowance in the English Channel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Navy vessel to be sent to the Channel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Home Secretary visits channel operations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Home Secretary bolsters Border Force fleet in the Channel MoD News 0
Ballistic HMS Belfast on Channel 5 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 9
MoD_RSS News story: Four fishermen rescued after vessel capsized in English channel MoD News 0
WannabeAdmiral Royal Navy YouTube channel has kit guides now Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS News story: UK and France increase security cooperation in the Channel MoD News 0
Ninja_Stoker Warship Channel 4 Documentary Series Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 94
BillyNoMates Coming to a channel near you soon. Current Affairs 55
M Channel 4 Series - Could you be a spy? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
Ballistic Quest TV channel: Devonport Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 36
soleil HMS Flying Fox - Channel 5 - Monday, April 14th 2014 - Gadget Show - 19:00 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
soleil Channel 5: "Big, Bigger, Biggest" - Thursday, Oct 10th 2013 - 1900 Submariners 3
F Channel 4 Ramadan broadcasts Current Affairs 4
Good CO Get your tattoos removed on TV - Channel 4 The Quarterdeck 0
Bad CO Discovery Channel Series - FUTURE FIREPOWER Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
janner Channel Four TV Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Military History Channel - 23rd October 2012 - "Officers And Gentlemen" Bases / Shore Est 22
Naval_Gazer Royal Navy to pay tribute to Channel Dash heroes Current Affairs 0
soleil Channel 5 - Tuesday, 05 June 2012 - 19:00 - War Hero In My Family The Corps 0
C Channel 5 needs you and your diy disasters The Quarterdeck 10
soleil Channel 4: "Falklands' Most Daring Raid" - Sunday, March 18th 2012 History 20
soleil Channel 5: "The Great Falklands Gamble" - Tuesday, March 13th 2012 - 20:00 History 3
sgtpepperband Channel 4 - 10 O'Clock Live: "Charlie Brooker's Rant About 'The Sun' Newspaper" The Internet - Best and Worst 8
S Royals on Channel 5 Current Affairs 15
finknottle Programme of Interest starting 30th Jan 2012 on Channel 5 @ 2100 The Corps 2
soleil Nelson’s Navy: Back From The Dead - Channel 4 - Sunday - September 04 2011 - 2000 History 21
SEP86 Charity Long Cycle and Channel Swim Charity 0
A Channel 5 - Royal Navy Submarine Mission - 5th September 2011 - 2000 - HMS Turbulent Submariners 139
soleil Channel 5 - 'Submarine School' - Tuesday 21 June 2011 - 20:00 Submariners 26
Scouse_Castaway Dambusters: Building the Bouncing Bomb, Channel 4 Monday History 1
soleil "How To Command A Nuclear Submarine" - w/c 14/03 - Military History Channel Submariners 26
trelawney126 HMS ARK ROYAL Discovery TV Channel Current Affairs 7
soleil Channel 4: March 15th: 2100: "Heston's Mission Impossible" Submariners 39
Kev73 HMS Ark Royal on Discovery Channel The Fleet 1
trelawney126 LastVoices of World War 1 Sky Military Channel History 2
soleil Channel 5: February 7th 2011: "Royal Navy Caribbean Patrol - HMS Manchester" The Fleet 17
J Royal Navy Caribbean Patrol, Channel 5 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1