Channel 4: "Armed Forces’ Involvement In Sectarian Rangers ‘Party’ Was A PR Disaster"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Sep 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. Jesus Christ.

We really have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot throwing our non-too-bright personnel into situations where they can royally **** up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. Ninja_Stoker

During my time in the mob, serving in Scotland in the late 80's/early 90's there seemed to be nearly more religious intolerance than there was intolerance of the English. Anything Celtic/Rangers still seems sure to stir-up more animosity than English atrocities committed a few centuries ago.

I'm not even sure Scotland has agreed to a ceasefire with Argentina, to be perfectly honest.

5. Can we be 100% sure the squaddies aren't just getting down to the feel of the event and having a bit of a boogie and a wave?

I can't understand a ****ing word of what is being sung, I'd wager at least some of those squaddies were dicked to do a little parade at the footy and thought: "Oooh look, everyone is cheering and singing, let's wave and dance along."

Once there, without a clue about the wider context of the songs or what was going on, they just cheering and dancing along with the crowd, innocently assuming it was all about football.

Of course some will know exactly what is going on, but that doesn't account for all.

Backwards Scottish ****s. The sooner they vote themselves out of this country the better.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Rest assured I don't think it a joke from either side of the divide. I think it's pathetic and about time the sectarianism was stamped out in schools in Scotland as well as at football matches & anywhere else much the same as racism in English football and schools.

7. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A lot of the guy's were wearing white hackles, therefore 2 SCOTS, recruited in Glasgow. If these guys had not been on a freebie in uniform, many would have been on the terraces.

• Like Like x 2
  8. All the more reason for someone with rank and a brain to say "Look fellas, enjoy yourselves but behave professionally as uniformed personnel in public and don't get involved in any of that bollocks."

9. If this is the SCOTS, then there is a decent chance they do that bollocks in uniform in barracks. The single worst thing about being based in Faslane is the sectarian bullshit you see day in, day out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You can't blame them, when you see what Celtic fans get up to it's sickening. I went to Dartmouth with a guy whose father was a policeman murdered by the IRA and the man who murdered him was later elected as their local MP! It's disgusting and when Celtic drop that sort of attitude then maybe we can condemn the Rangers fans. People talk of the Shamrock Awakening with the gradual rapproachment between Irish Nationalists and Unionists (inviting the Queen to visit, observing Rememberance Day etc) so if people complain about this we should challenge them "Ok then, have Celtic invite our servicemen to their game and see how they're treated?"

11. Small Ships Berths, there are some heads down by the fast food van, full of graffiti with a sectarian bent. Same same if you went into some of the workshops. And as an added bonus, "banter" over the latest "Old Firm" game.

12. You went to Dartmouth? How the hell did you get through AIB possessing that abysmally flawed argument by refraction mindset?

"You can't blame them". Lads will be lads eh?

13. Ninja_Stoker

The problem is perpetuated by students being taught about sectarianism in school from people who inherited their prejudices from their parents and pass them on as 'fact' to the next generation under the guise of history from a biased viewpoint.

For as long as intolerance is taught as a subject on the curriculum rather than actively stamped out as being criminal, behaviour such as this will continue on the terraces. For a nation I otherwise have the greatest respect & admiration, it saddens me that this behaviour is considered acceptable on both sides of a divide and has been for so long a blight.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Interesting to note the YouTube video (post #3) has been taken down by Channel 4.

15. Sure did, as a PWO. Did you? Were you the 'plate licker'? To care for the Irish Republicanism's victims is not wrong and to point out the bigotry and hypocrisy of Irish Nationalism is no crime. In fact it's a moral duty, we've let them away with too much for far too long
    Racist Celtic fans chant IRA - YouTube

When our guys can go to Celtic games and have the same rapturous welcome I'll find something wrong with Rangers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  16. Your logic is quite spectacularly flawed. You amuse me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yep, sure did and sailed through AIB with top marks thanks to my intelligence and reasoned discsussion. You can't blame then after all they have suffered at the hands of Irish Nationalism and the unfettered sectarianism of Celtic supporters;
    Google Image Result for http://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article897066.ece/ALTERNATES/s2197/ira-banner-man-493203902-897066.jpg

18. We're not ignorant, you don't have to keep posting Celtic links. Actions of one half doesn't excuse those of the other nor the behaviour of Forces personnel in public.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Last edited: Oct 1, 2013