Changing Trades when youve been allocated a date for Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Shippers89, May 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I currently have a start date for Raleigh in October.
    However im currently thinking of changing trades to MA.
    What would happen if I went ahead and changed trades?
    I have spoken to my CA and im just waiting for a email back but I just thought I would ask on here as my CA is away on holiday at the moment.
  2. I'd imagine you'd get postponed to a later date? What trade are you applying for at the moment?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you are eligible in all respects to join as an MA you'll be taken off the current branch entry date and join the queue to join as an MA. You'll also be required to gain Enhanced Disclosure (CRB).

Currently the wait for MA2, from test to entry into initial training is approx 12-14 months.

Courses are loaded about 9 months ahead, so all MA recruit classes joining over the next 9 months will be filled...but whilst you will not queue jump and displace anyone already allocated an entry date, if there's a cancellation, you should be allocated a place ahead of those awaiting an entry date, but not yet allocated a start date.

In other words, you will most likely put back your start date a few months, possibly joining as late as March next year, but hopefully sooner.
  4. thanks for the replies.
    when are the intakes usually for MA's?
    Would if help with the waiting time if i already had some form of health care qualifications?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think there's about an intake each term, there aren't gazillions of them.
    Unfortunately not. We won't ditch people who we have already been selected to join in that branch because someone has retrospectively decided they wish to switch branches.
  6. Allocation is based on date passed RT. Allocators usually do their best to honour this in the event of changes to BOP, however as has already been stated, you will need an Enhanced DBS and they take time. You will also need an 'update interview' with your CA.