changing surname and best time to do it

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scuba Boris, Sep 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

As the title suggests I am considering changing my surname and I am hoping to start at BRNC in November. Given the amount of paperwork I am assuming there is to fill out is it better to change the name now at the earliest opportunity? And will this affect my security clearance which I already have?
  2. If it were Scuba Boris I'd change it, otherwise i'd leave well alone. Why not marry someone with a surname you like and change to it when married. Minimal paperwork
  3. That'd work if your a girl!! As a guy I want to change it for myself.
  4. Double barrell it ..... Midshipman Forbes - Wobinson
  5. Alas I already know the surname I want to use, I was just looking for some useful answers on here to my original questions!!! :p
  6. You may think you know the surname you wish to use, however if you are wishing to enter the occifer class then double barrelled is the way to go.

A couple of sugestions:

No doubt other RR members will give loads more.
    My final question is why would anyone wish to change their surname?
  7. To be quite honest I think you may be very unwise to do this at the moment as you may find you are setting yourself up for a whole load of 'administrative' problems, which may even affect your pay amongst other things.

I don't know if it is specifically the transition from new-entry to 'live' or just good old JPA, but I think it would throw something of a spanner in the works of a pretty flawed administration system, unless things have changed greatly over the last couple of years.

I stress that I do not know the reasons for this and am neither apportioning blame nor condoning, I am merely commenting from experience. If it can wait, I would strongley suggest that you leave it until BRNC etc. is out of the way.

Edit to add: Of course your AFCO or the AFCO personnel on here should be able to give you more up-to-date info.
  8. The best time to change it is when she tells you she's preggers, cover your tracks early.

9. What's wrong with your current surname?

Personally I find double barrelled names ostentatious bullshit, as these days they impress nobody.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  10. Baden mole-strangler
    Percy long toggle.
  11. I think you've got your quotes mixed up and whats wrong with Farquason-Smythe-Ringbolt, triple barreled is the way ahead,
  12. My surname at present is that of my father. I have no time or respect for him for various reasons. My grandfather was a much greater role model and was there through all my formative years and as a young man served in the army at the tail end of WW2. When he got cancer he was given 6 months, 7 years of fighting later we sat with him as he peacefully passed away in 2009. Its his name I wish to carry into my naval career out of love and respect.

But as previously suggested I may wait till after BRNC so ask to make it an easier process for the navy administration processes.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It's actually better to change your name after thew plastic surgery.
    I did and they have never found me.
    Finger prints are the only pitfall
  14. Good for you. Sentiments I can, to a lesser degree, relate to. Good luck.
  15. I changed my surname as my original was so hard to pronounce, They did try bless but Able seaman Tsabxenduvela gangway is hard.
    I took a much classier name to suit my personality and anyway think smith is catchy
  16. Winston bigpickle is my real name but got called sharkey cos of the size of my shonk
  17. Orficer Percy pig Grunter would be ok.
  18. In my Liverpool slum, In my Liverpool slum
    The place is depressing a real filthy hole,
    Where most of the locals are fiddlin the dole ,
    And those not in prison are out on parole,
    In my Liverpool slum.

In my Liverpool slum,In my Liverpool slum,
    The streets are disgusting, a sense of despair,
    There's shit and there's filth and its everywhere,
    You've got to cathedrals we don't fuckin care,
    In my Liverpool slum,In my Liverpool slum,
    • Like Like x 1
  19. While your sentiments are genuine, I think it would be a poor decision to change your surname. You are just inviting unnecessary problems for the rest of your life, even with trivia such as passport applications etc and that's once you've changed everything over; bank account, driving licence, service documents etc. A name is just that and does not define who you are (despite the dubious suggestions of the sage who is Finknottle). Spend less time thinking about your name tag and more time about what you're going to do with your life, including BRNC.

PS: If you insist on such a course of action then I'd advise doing it before you join the RN. If you think there's a lot to change now then it's going to get a lot worse when your service docs need amending. I'm just glad I didn't have to answer the additional questions you're going to end up answering if you get PV.
  20. Things are only as important as we choose to make them. For ****'s sake grow up, whatever is in your past, let it go. A change of name will not change who you are, who your father was, or who your grandfather was. It will not affect your lineage.

And for anybody else to give a shit, you'd have to tell them. And guess what, they still won't give a shit.
    • Like Like x 1