Changing roles

I’m currently in the process of joining for MW Spec, I’m only 16 so I can’t go into clearance Diver yet, im debating wether to stay on at college for 2 years till I’m 18 but I don’t massively enjoy it, how easy is it to change roles once your in the service?

Changing branch once in service is particularly difficult. You will have signed on as that (specific) branch and as such are not entitled to change branch by right. Unless there is a significant reason (exam failure, medical proclivity from that branch once in service etc).

I know that clearance diver is becoming a full branch and as such the recruiting is limited (your AFCO will give you a more detailed breakdown).

I would do your research, chat to others on here and chat with your Careers Advisor about options based on your set of circumstances and choose a branch you will be happy with for your career and not a ‘quick route’ into another branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Concur with @crash_evans . The diving branch has about a two year wait to join at present. Sideways entry is a possibility but not a certainty...then again, you could wait two years and fail selection for direct entry - they only have about a 50% pass rate.

I’m currently in the process of joining for MW Spec, I’m only 16 so I can’t go into clearance Diver yet, im debating wether to stay on at college for 2 years till I’m 18 but I don’t massively enjoy it, how easy is it to change roles once your in the service?
I'm also 16 in process of joining MW Spec, what stage are you at ?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
WS(MW) is a shortage branch and because of it, a relatively swift branch to Join, but....although you'll only serve on mine hunters, same as Divers, there two things to consider:

Branches with a manpower shortage are less able to release personnel to transfer to other branches and in any event, once trained, there's a minimum 30 month return of service in the source branch.

Overseas travel on mine hunters tends to be limited to Northern Europe, occasionally the Mediterranean and often to the Persian Gulf. In other words trips to the US or Far East & Australasia are unlikely.

WS(MW)

Overseas travel on mine hunters tends to be limited to Northern Europe, occasionally the Mediterranean and often to the Persian Gulf. In other words trips to the US or Far East & Australasia are unlikely.
Also note I did 24 years not Minesweeper and I did not go to Fezz or Auzz? but did states a few time

So as with everything Navy, you make your choice and take your chances?

We don't call them sweepers anymore. They are all Mine Countermeasure Vessels (MCMV's), we haven't had any sweeping capability since 06/07.
I left in 98 so that's me sorted? :)
Do they detect mines and do you do a sweeping pattern to check out and area of interest?

I left in 98 so that's me sorted? :)
I think we had as many sweepers/MCMV's/Wood/GRP ships as we do FF/DD now...

Do they detect mines and do you do a sweeping pattern to check out and area of interest?
They have got some ninja remote controlled mini sub thingy, us skimmer Tazrats are still banging away with hull mounted SONAR through mine swept channels (just in case we need to set one off). Although sweeping patterns are still in use and have been since Capt Walker was Daddy ASW, if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

I think we had as many sweepers/MCMV's/Wood/GRP ships as we do FF/DD now...

They have got some ninja remote controlled mini sub thingy, us skimmer Tazrats are still banging away with hull mounted SONAR through mine swept channels (just in case we need to set one off). Although sweeping patterns are still in use and have been since Capt Walker was Daddy ASW, if it ain't broke - don't fix it.
for want of anther name or a good idea name change still mine sweeping? :D:rolleyes:;)