Changing Roles

SJB98

I'm currently an Apprentice Steward however, after having a serious think and just come off my first appointment on ship, I feel like being a Deckie would be much better suited to me.

Does anyone know if this is possible and how I would go about that? Would I need to leave an reapply, or could I transfer internally, and how would I do that?

Thanks

Batfink

RFA at HMS Raleigh, just wondering whether you have an info on this? I'm currently a steward but have a deckhand background (went for the wrong job in the RFA) no-one seems to know the process of changing and have been waiting for some info from hq for the past 3 months. Thank you

goosefromryhope

Lantern Swinger
Hi.

Does anyone know of the procedure for changing roles?

Eg. transfer from Comms to Leading Hand Supply Chain?

Many thanks,

Goose.

There is a process, but it depends if they are looking to take any LH(SC) at the moment. I understand that the role is quite healthy at the moment due to the absorbtion of ex STON and the fact the solid support ships are not up and running.
If you want to pm me I can make enquiries in the office tomorrow as am in HQ for a meeting.

Sumo

War Hero
Goose

4 years in, surely you are better placed to answer questions than ask them.
Um 4 years in I was just coming out of my OD phase and thinking should I look at my future, I would not have known much about the jobs process, but sure I could of found a chief who did, no internet in them days.

Ballistic

War Hero
Um 4 years in I was just coming out of my OD phase and thinking should I look at my future, I would not have known much about the jobs process, but sure I could of found a chief who did, no internet in them days.
So... how long did you do in the RFA Sumo?

Hi,
Does anyone have anymore info on changing roles. I really don’t enjoy my job as a deckie but think I’d be more suited to comms. Is there a way to transfer,,or am I stuck.
I have given it a fair go to see if I like it but still not enjoying it and on my 3rd ship now. I do like the RFA in general just my role doesn’t suit.

Seadog

War Hero
Assuming you get a chance to change branch and the second choice doesn’t suit either, then what? Branch Bingo?

Was just after some advice.
Don’t think I worded it right I meant the role didn’t suit me. People do transfer and change roles in general not just the RFA.

Thanks I’m advance for any helpful comments.

Lingo

Deckie here, I tried to transfer to comms. I had to go through the whole application process again as in apply online, go to interview, then you do a new medical and security clearance. You have to hand your notice in after you get your offer for them to transfer your records across. After I got my provisional offer I got rejected due to having a medical restriction for being overweight. So currently still a deckie!