Changing Roles

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MrF, Mar 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrF

MrF Midshipman

Hi, just looking for some advice. After getting back from my PRNC and talking to someone about my chosen role of AET, I'm doubting if I have made the right choice. I realise now that as an AET I would rarely get to go to sea or travel, and travelling is one of the main reasons I am joining up. I understand that it is easier to change roles now before I am due to start at Raleigh on the 5th June. Can any body recommend other roles that would involve travelling and would be worth while for civvy street? And does anyone know would changing roles push my join date back?
  2. If you want to change to God's chosen branch, you'll be in uniform before you can even blink.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

AETs do travel, but admittedly don't serve at sea as often as ET ME or WE, which are both still technical branches. WE is about a 16 month wait to entry. ME about 3. Chef - what are you doing this Sunday?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MrF

MrF Midshipman

Thanks for coming back, I rang AFCO and was reasurred by the phone conversation, so I'm glad to be going through with AET. One thing that is concerning me though, is doubting whether my maths is up to scratch. I understand that the tuition in phase 2 does start at an elementary level, but is it worth getting any study material prior to phase 2? And if so what's recommended? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Sounds like you've changed your mind about AET three or four times since Monday, have a further couple of months to deliberate, but have now focussed your doubts on the academic aspect of training...:)

Everyone has doubts before they join, but there's no need to take it to the extreme sport level.

Basically it depends how long you've been out of education. A bit of GCSE bitesize maths & physics prior to joining will do no harm, but you need to complete the physical & mental rigours of Initial Naval Training at Raleigh for ten weeks prior to that. No good being ace at maths but shit at ironing or unable to crack the swimming test or fitness test.

Chill back, the recruit test score indicates you have the intellectual capacity to complete AET branch training - if adequately motivated.

Good luck.
  6. MrF

MrF Midshipman

Yes Ninja you're reading me well. I think my biggest problem is I have an awful lot riding on this and don't want to screw it up. Thanks as always for your sound advice.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

I enjoyed my time as a Marine Engineering Mechanic (Technician in new money, but same recruit test score, same job). We kept watches (shifts), live on ships at sea and in harbour (unlike most AETs). You don't pay food or accommodation charges when living on a ship (you do living on an air station or shore base). As an Air Engineering technician, because of the vulnerability of aircraft, every job you do is painstakingly checked, double-checked and signed-off and logged. If it goes wrong & you were the last person working on it, they look at the log first. ET(ME)'s, on the other hand, usually work largely unsupervised.

AETs, when they first join are usually disappointed initially, when they learn they may not serve on a ship. After a few years, those who haven't served on a ship are usually fairly content with their lot and have few regrets in choosing the Fleet Air Arm.

My thoughts are that each branch has positives & negatives but my advice is go for the job that first appealed to you. If aircraft interest you, go AET or you will always wonder 'what if?'.
  8. OP I have a degree in maths and I will be embarking on a PHD soon.I tutor maths a fair bit from GCSE to degree level. If you're worried about your maths. I'd suggest you get a GCSE maths textbook as NS has stated. But its important not just to read it but practice doing loads of questions.
  9. Honest question NS: With the advent of the new carriers will not the sea drafts for AET's rise out of all proportion shortly?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Was about to ask the same thing, also obviously you don't always get first choice but which aircraft would give the best chance at sea drafts on the new carriers? As far as I know new recruits aren't able to go straight to the F35s?
  11. I recentley found out as AH I would not be at sea . They said i would get some sea time maybe when the QE comes into service ! I was wondering would that be the only chance I ever get to be at sea ??
  12. Ninja_Stoker

The Aircraft Handler branch manager has more recently been trying to get AB's out of the habit of assuming they will spend their entire career as part of Trumpton Fire Brigade based exclusively on an air station.

More recently Handlers have been drafted to frigates and destroyers with flights embarked. Why the hell this was never done previously with the dependence on SMAC trained ratings from other branches to fulfil the role of lashing numbers and aircraft firefighters is completely beyond comprehension but at last AB Handlers are beginning to get sea drafts besides just on Carriers & Amphibious Assault ships.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

There will obviously be an increase in AETs afloat once the carrier squadrons embark, but in the near distant future the biggest uplift of seagoing AETs will be those drafted to the Carrier(s) once they start undertaking sea trials. Once they are a seagoing entity, there will initially be a requirement for AETs drafted as Ships Company to fulfil the role of the ships' Air Engineering Department (AED) as the ship begins deck landing trials. Presumably this will initially be rotary wing Woos, followed by Zoomies once the F-35 trials initially commence, and they begin flying in earnest.

My guess is it'll be a few years yet before the Carriers experience the joys of fully embarked squadrons and mahoosive scran queues :)
  14. I would stick with AET. Consider that the RN is currently extremely short of WE and ME both GS and SM. AE on the other hand are plentiful to the point of them starting to be employed in ME and WE jobs.

If, in a few years, you're not happy as an AET you'll find it a lot easier to branch transfer to ME or WE than the other way (note, branch transfers are never a certainty)

On a completely different tack, why are AETs AET and not ET(AE)?
  15. Ninja_Stoker

We're not short of ET(WE) GS at the mo' - 16 month wait to join.
    Probably because they chose it first, changing from AEA/AEM to AET.

MET could be confused with Met and WET is a damp squib.

Either way, you can be reasonably sure an SO1 got an OBE out of it ;)
  16. Thanks for that
    But why the "Braindead"? :(
  17. That's got me wondering - why is the word 'engineering' used twice in the abbreviations ET(WE) & ET(ME), and only once in AET?
    How about:

There. That's nice and neat. Now where's my OBE? :D
  18. TWEE ..
    T 'ME , T'U
    TAE....NATO Standard. ;)
  19. Okay thanks ninja !! So it's looking like there will be more opportunity for us then after all !
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Fat fingers. Me, not you.

My sincere apologies.