Changing role after successful selection interview

Hi, I recently passed my AET selection interview. Is it too late to change roles? I learned that I would likely spend years at a Naval Air Station rather than on a ship and it's given me second thoughts about the job.

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Speak to your Careers Advisor sooner rather than later.

I’m sure some WAFU’s will be along shortly to tell you what ratio you would work on ship versus on Squadron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
What role do you intend to change to?

As a Wafu your pt2b training is spent at a shore base whereas general service trades mostly spend theirs on a ship.

Unless you are drafted to a ship as AED you will join the ship as a flight or squadron as the ship deploys and leave when she gets back as it is pointless leaving an aircraft on a ship whilst tied up in Pompey or Guzz.

If you end up on a CHF squadron you could find yourself in a field on exercise with the booties or pongoes or in other places not normally associated with where the general public would expect a matelot to be.
7 weeks in a Jordanian desert being one of the different places I have been.

Wafus have been involved in the last lot of unpleasantries deploying on land well away from any water or ship.

I cannot give how much time you would be on board against another trade as it varies greatly depending on the ship and programme.

BreechSpike

Hi, I recently passed my AET selection interview. Is it too late to change roles? I learned that I would likely spend years at a Naval Air Station rather than on a ship and it's given me second thoughts about the job.
AFCOs really don't like you changing them -----and mine said blatantly no... because by then you had all the time and information to make a decision and learn about your role.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Safety in numbers.

With only one clicky bed on deck you might not know we are onboard. ;)

Waspie

War Hero
Every time I went on a 'boat'! It was to remove someone quite poorly!!!
Length of stay - very short.

Be aware that with the return of the Carrier Navy, the FAA will be spending significantly more time at sea.

Both the pinger and junglie community will have a squadron per aircraft carrier near permanently embarked. Likewise QE and POW will have permanent AE departments as well.

You’ll go to sea, don’t worry!

After being on board with (on) RAF Squadrons, it will be embark at the last possible opportunity and get off as soon as Marham is in range.
I distinctly remember Wings telling SPLOT 801 that none of his aircraft were to call Pan when returning to the UK after a short deployment; and even if one were to, under no circumstances were the other three aircraft "to accompany for safety"...

You can guess the rest of the dit.