Changing my application?

So I've just sent off an appeal for my medical. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I'm hopeful. However, because the process has so far taken over a year to sort out, my circumstances have changed slightly and I need to think about my future.
I know I want to go into the navy if my appeal gets through, but my current application is for the reserves (because at the time, I had over two years of university left) now I only have one year left.
Basically, what is the procedure for changing from reserves to regulars? Would it be worth me having a year in reserves, and if so how long would it take to change in the future? Are you bound to the reserves for a certain amount of time?
OR
Should I talk to my AFCO about changing my application completely and going for regular - is it possible to defer entry for a while (until I have completed my MA) and go straight to regular once I have finished?
Obviously, I would like to be in the reserves until then, but I know I still have some part of the application process to go after the medical and I'm wondering if it will only make things complicated at a later date (and when I almost certainly have exams/dissertation deadlines)
Any advice would be appreciated!

- E

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Basically, what is the procedure for changing from reserves to regulars? Would it be worth me having a year in reserves, and if so how long would it take to change in the future? Are you bound to the reserves for a certain amount of time?
OR
Should I talk to my AFCO about changing my application completely and going for regular - is it possible to defer entry for a while (until I have completed my MA) and go straight to regular once I have finished?
You've pretty much answered your own query.

The procedure is simply call you careers adviser - it involves the click of a virtual button to change an application from Reserves to Regular or vice-versa before you actually join. After joining it's a bit more involved.

Not much point joining the RNR for experience, particularly if not intending joining for less time than it takes to complete training...BUT, you may decide you like it and want to stay in the Reserves whilst taking-up a better paid civilian full time post.

If you complete your training as a Reservist you can seamlessly transfer into the regular service, if still serving and transferring to exactly the same role, within about a month. If you complete training but want to transfer to a different role, it is sometimes possible to skip phase one training and transfer straight into phase two branch training in the regular service but the wait for a place will be the same as any other person wanting to join in that role.

My advice is get the medical cracked first...THEN speak to your AFCO about options.

Good luck.

Thanks for pinging me.

My Lord Ninja has, as ever, spread much intelligence here and hits the nail on the head. Whilst the RNR is actively recruiting ( we have targets to hit, both by unit and nationally) I suspect CMR is getting a bit board with being used as a lily-pad for regular service. Fine if you are staying RNR for (say) five years, less helpful for twelve months.

My first questions are as always - where at you at university? Is there an URNU? Which RNR unit are you engaging with?

Remember that the RNR recruiting process is somewhat more fluid. Whilst the interviews, medicals et al are on a par we don't expect you to choose a branch for some months after entry, and Raleigh/BRNC is a "Confirmation Course" rather than a start-gate in itself.

You ask if you are bound to the RNR for a period of time; the short answer is no. Write a resignation letter, pause for a few days, hand in ID card. This is a point we constantly make to x-regulars, who fear that Project Firefly is tying them to another 22 years.

I second, whole-heartedly, @Ninja_Stoker 's advice - get the medical dealt with. By all means then call us back (use PM if you wish) and further advice can be launched.

As an aside - did you read @photface 's rather good thread about medical appeals?

Thanks for your replies. I was successful with my appeal, my medical is all sorted and I have my fitness test in a few weeks (it came through surprisingly quickly and everything is moving very fast now!)
I have decided to stick with the RNR, as I want to look into other career options for after university that would allow me to continue with the reserves. I suspect even if I do decide to go in full time I will give myself a year or so to work and get some money behind me and sort out other business.
@Branch-Hopper In answer to your question (though now a moot point) I actually initially applied for the URNU, but because I was already in my final year (and unsure about doing an MA at the same university) and they wanted two years commitment, it was them who put me in touch with my local RNR unit (in this case, HMS Cambria)

Thanks for your advice, all.
- E