Changing entry type

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by skippy, Aug 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, was wondering if anyone could give me a few words of advice/abuse before I phone my ACLO tomorrow morning?
    Passed the AIB March 2008 for weapons engineerng officer and I was due to complete university then go in, but I've now decided that I don't want to go to uni. Instead, I'd like to go straight in for warfare at the nearest entry date allowed, and I was wondering if this was possible, or would I have to resit the AIB :pukel:?
    Cheers for any advice
  2. Do you mean instead of going in as WEO you'd be going in as Warfare officer?
  3. yes spot on. I just looked back and realised how much waffle was in that post...
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Occifer candidate, you say? You'll go a long way... :wink:
  5. :thumright:

But back to the point, is it possible?
  6. Why would anyone with the brains and capability to become a WEO possibly want to sell his birthright to become a warfare occifer?
  7. 4 years at university is a lot've time and I'd much rather get on with the navy now?
  8. Four years is a short time considering a working life of 40 years plus.
    A good degree consolidated by time spent as a Naval Engineering occifer will pay dividends when re entering civilian life.
    Though I suppose someone must want ex warfare occifers.
  9. hhhhmmmmm no-one has answered the questin yet still, is it possible?!
  10. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

You may struggle as entry standards for Warfare is harder than Engineer. It will depend on what your AIB score is, what the manning requirement for Warfare is (that is how many they need at the moment) and if you want to go Surface or Subs.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's entirely possible, but selection depends entirely on how well you scored in relation to all other warfare candidates. There is also the little matter of a drop of 14k starting income as a non-grad officer.
  12. Listen to your Uncle's Ninja and Slim.
    Go to uni and enjoy the experience. Do your best to get into as little debt as possible while still having a good time (my daughter worked in a bar for three years) and still got a good degree with no debt (however that was in the 90s).
    If you don't go to Uni now you probably never will, wish I had been given the opportunity. :thumright:
  13. Theoretically you can get a degree later, either through the RN or off your own back when you come out, plus as a mature student you wouldn't pay tuition fees.

I know that everyone says that you should get a degree, and it's true that there is less pay as a non-grad officer. However, university is not for everyone. I thought I wanted to go to university, came, and 5 years later finishing (should have been 4 years) and possibly not even getting a degree, just a diploma in higher education, results depending. I don't regret my time at uni at all, I had a great time and that was in fact the problem. I spent too much time enjoying life and doing other stuff that I let it get in the way of my academics and come the end I couldn't even be bothered with it anymore, just wanted to get it out of the way.

So, to distill the waffle, do what you want to do. If you think uni is not for you, then fair enough, you don't HAVE to go. It's better to do something you want to do, rather than doing something because everyone says you should. I do feel I need to make one last point realise that as WEO you get to blow stuff up, whereas Warfare Officer, despite the name, is actually in charge of driving the ship?! ;)
  14. Theoretically you can get a degree at any time of your life. Perhaps I should do mine now, 63 years of age, no mortgage, kids off my hand, no other worries. When I left the RN at age 40 I would have loved to have gone to Uni and studied Electrical Engineering, however with two kids aged 13 and 15 and a great big mortgage it would have been a little difficult. I did have a couple of friends who left the RN and did their degrees, however their wives did have to work to support them during this time.
    no the chances of a degree in later life are slim, do it while you can.
  15. Ok fair one, but my sister never went to uni at first, went she was 25, and my mother never went to uni and then got an MSc at 48, did it distance learning whilst having a job. But I do get your point.

I suppose that I am in the fortunate position of knowing what I want to do, and all my main and back-ups do not require a degree. In retrospect I should have jacked it in a year ago after I failed 3rd year, but I was happy and in a stable relationship at the time, didn't expect her to break up with me 2 weeks before exams! Kinda threw a spanner in the works...
  16. Cheers for the help guys, I think I'll try the first year of uni and see how it goes.
  17. No worries, best of luck, hope you have more success than I did! One last piece of advice - avoid monday morning chemistry labs with a hangover, not a good combination!
  18. I wil attempt to become teetotaller before going to avoid skintness/ the hangovers
  19. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Have you come across the concept of freshers' week?!
  20. key word - 'attempt'