Changing before Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rk7794, Feb 5, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am wondering if anyone knows the latest you can switch trades before going to Raleigh as I am jumping between AET and WE and I would like to know what time time I have to come to complete decision as both jobs have good and bad points
    Thanks in advance
  2. Why are you barking mad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Make your decision before passing the PJFT.

If you want to go to sea, go for WE. The other significant difference is AETs have portable "clicky-beds" on which to bronzy on the flightdeck, whereas ET(WE)'s tend to get their power-nap in their mess recreation space during the working day or in their bunk of a night-time, minus the UV element.

The wait for ET(WE) is a couple or four months less than AET but obviously they aren't going to displace ET(WE)'s already allocated to make room for a "floating voter". In other words, as Mike Reid used to say, "Runaround Now-aaah".
  4. Is it a massive problem if it's after my pjft and also is the sea time gap massive between AET and WE
  5. I did 11 years 11 months continuous without going on the "big blue wobbly thing what mermaids live in!"

Sign of good drafting. However in those 11 years I spent a lot of time in Europe on Det (during my Canberra days it was on average 2 weeks a month) and 3 six week trips to the Caribbean plus States trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you change branches after passing PJFT it just means you will already have joined the queue to be allocated an entry date in your original branch of preference. Not a biggie, but you'll just go to the back of the queue behind those who may have passed the recruiting test after you, but had an entry date requested in your new branch ahead of you.

ET(WE)'s are usually drafted straight to sea after passing training, AETs, depending on billets available may well spend up to 4 years with a shore-based squadron before actually going to sea with a frontline squadron. AETs generally get drafted to squadrons rather than ships but can be drafted to an Air Engineering Department on a large ship (usually a carrier). I've known a fair few AETs who have never served on a ship throughout their career, but zero fully trained ET(WE)'s.
  7. Can you give me a run down of the qualifications you can get with both jobs please I know the qualifications for aet will most likely be better but the experiences of travel are at the moment pushing towards changing to weapons
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Why not speak directly to your AFCO?
  9. This is a quicker source than ringing the afco and waiting for a call back and I need the info quite quick as my pjft is next Tuesday and ninja said its best to change before then
  10. That worked then. Lol.
    • Like Like x 2