Changing Basic Training Dates

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tufants, Feb 12, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. May seem like quite a silly question really. But my parents are really wanting me to join them on one final family holiday before I join up. They've booked it for early July but my basic is scheduled for 8th June.

How easy (if that's the word) would it be for me to push back the date by a couple of months, or would it be really difficult?

Thanks in advance for anything that is informative.
  2. Change the holiday to August and have it during summer leave, you'll still be at Raleigh but getting paid while you're on holiday.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

"One last holiday" sounds very melodramatic. As indicated above we've moved-on since the days of the press gang (sadly) and now give six weeks paid leave - all you have to do is match the holiday with your leave.

It's no problem deferring entry but if you're joining a branch that has a long wait and limited annual entry dates, then you could inadvertently put your entry date back a good few months. In the case of RM Musicians, Comms Techs etc., there's only one intake a year. In some branches, places are already being allocated for November/December start dates.

Speak to your AFCO to gain more accurate advice & good luck.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. I take it you haven't been waiting long for a start date then?
    • Like Like x 4
  5. ****ing hell. Your career, your life, free holidays!! And your mother wants you to go to some grotty all inclusive place in Spain for a week? I'd tell mine where'd to go
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Santiago De Compostela?
  7. Algeciras!
  8. You sound like someone, a relatively new joiner, I had the pleasure of 'rebriefing' recently. She couldn't understand why her 4 week holiday to the Far East wasn't a good idea when on short ntoice to deploy. Apparantly the Service was being unreasonable.

If you are asking these questions now then it will only lead to tears later on. Is the RN really for you?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Oh my ****ing god!
  10. Don't know why anyone would want to spend 4 weeks in the far east! Christ
  11. They might like it there.
  12. Never thought of that guzzler
  13. Because its the most amazing part of the world?
    Beautiful women,
    Nice weather,
    Nice people,
    Cheep beer.
    Why exactly would anyone want to spend 4 weeks in UK when this is an option?
  14. If you went you'd definitely come back with a Thai bride! (If you haven't already)
  15. Love you long time, Johnny sailor boy.
    • Like Like x 1