Changes

clanky

War Hero
OK fellas, its come to my notice that theres been some debate on this site reference the subject of change. The purpose of this thread is to give us all a chance to suggest 1 change to the RN.
It can be a social or technical change. It can be a minor tweak or a major overhaul.
Lets hear it!

PompeySailor

Lantern Swinger
Simple change? The ability to get rid of deadwood without the protracted, drawn out routine where DSRs and DOs can change, drafts can take place, and serious personality traits are hidden, disguised or covered up or action is not taken simply because inaction is easier and it will become someone else's problem. Applicable to all, bottom to top.

That and a return to "all of one company" pay banding, the removal of the x-factor for non-seagoers (ie dental nurses where there is virtually no seagoing liability but they all volunteered to be seagoing!), and the removal of having to jump through hoops for civilian masters just to get our job done and to get our just financial compensation!

chieftiff

War Hero
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm! How about the treasury not treating the RN like a company, we are not in the business of profit making.

Oh and when the National Audit Office carry out a government funded study and make a statement to the effect that the RN has been underfunded to such an extent that it is no longer capable of carrying out it's core business, wouldn't it be nice for the Defence Secretary to release a thought out, logical counter-argument backed by statistical and analytical data, supported by the CinC to say otherwise .............or would it just be better if he were to say :I disagree with the NAO ?

Not bitter, just hate being bullshi**ed to.

Jones265R

Badgeman
I left the mob due to the lack of shore billets for junior rates in my branch and because if any junior rate was lucky enough to get a shore billet he was grabbed by the dreaded smerp system. So my suggestion would be a fairer sea time to shore time ratio, I relaise you koin the navy to go to sea but when you do have a family there needs to be a little more harmony.

One change eh?

How about making sure that when we get rid of one destroyer, there is one destroyer there to replace it. Or when we scrap an aircraft carrier we replace it with one etc., see where I'm going with that one?

We need to fund the Navy much better than what we are, I don't understand why all goverments see the Armed Forces as something they can reduce funding for, when their first remit is to defend the British people.

flynavy

Lantern Swinger
how about all junior rates being treated like adults?

when someone knows about a change in the programme/kit/duration everyone gets told!!

PompeySailor

Lantern Swinger
flynavy said:
how about all junior rates being treated like adults?

when someone knows about a change in the programme/kit/duration everyone gets told!!

Close - how about everyone behaving like adults - knowing when to stop drinking, knowing when to Rx instead of Tx, knowing that they have responsibilities to themselves and others - and this applies across the board, not just at the supposed "junior" rates!

mariner

What about the divisional system?

LHs, DSRs and DOs being able to instill discipline. So many "Trouble" guys get pushed from pillar to post and get away with blue murder.

How many times have LHs and DSR tried to discipline someone and then told to "just to have a word and see how it goes".

Just wind that clock back 20 years when the mob was still a formidable force and those in command did so with balls and earned respect instead of this faggoty political correctness and the shackles of dreaded health and safety.
Hearts of oak..

MightyCrash

Badgeman
How about adding the letter plc after the name Royal Navy, or better still selling shares! We are pretty much a civvy company now anyway! The worst thing is they'll be some top brass reading this and thinking "Wow, give this lad a Herbett Lott, what a great idea for the coffers!"

PompeySailor

Lantern Swinger
Get real. Some Lt Cdr will pick it up and stick it through for a GEMS - more money that way! Herbert Lott - bloody £25 book token for an idea which saves (in my case) £40K....bloody insult.

clanky

War Hero
MightyCrash said:
How about adding the letter plc after the name Royal Navy, or better still selling shares! We are pretty much a civvy company now anyway! The worst thing is they'll be some top brass reading this and thinking "Wow, give this lad a Herbett Lott, what a great idea for the coffers!"

Even better, shirt sponsorship, it works in football!!!!!!!!