Changes to Titles

Jimbo3188

Badgeman
Why the feck do the RN insist on changing the titles of people and branches?

I've been in the RNR for only 6 years, and even I cant keep up with the changes and am always confused. SR's still refer to everything as it was decades ago (which is often easier), things on paper are different, and the people themselves dont have a clue.

What is even funnier - is its not like the Army are doing the same.

We are getting rid of Regulators, Supply Branch, Writers etc.

The Army still calls its soldiers Kingsmen, Bombardiers, Forresters, Lancers, Sappers etc etc

Why is it the RN that has to change?????

Jimbo
 
It's in the spirit of Jointery. As the Senior Service, the Navy has to make the most changes, particularly as the Army is so hard pressed at the moment and needs the chance to catch up. It should also be noted that the Army, and to a lesser extent, the Air Force, become insecure when wearing anything other than DPM CS95. As a consequence, removing the Navy's identity will make it less of a blow when DPM is mandated as the standard working rig.

It's the future, today.
 

stirling2

Banned
Passed-over_Loggie said:
It's in the spirit of Jointery. As the Senior Service, the Navy has to make the most changes, particularly as the Army is so hard pressed at the moment and needs the chance to catch up. It should also be noted that the Army, and to a lesser extent, the Air Force, become insecure when wearing anything other than DPM CS95. As a consequence, removing the Navy's identity will make it less of a blow when DPM is mandated as the standard working rig.

It's the future, today.
Erm..sorry to appear an ignoramus but WTF is DPM ( I left the mob in 75 and some of the new terminology is lost on me) and while I am here JPR ??
 

andym

War Hero
stirling said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
It's in the spirit of Jointery. As the Senior Service, the Navy has to make the most changes, particularly as the Army is so hard pressed at the moment and needs the chance to catch up. It should also be noted that the Army, and to a lesser extent, the Air Force, become insecure when wearing anything other than DPM CS95. As a consequence, removing the Navy's identity will make it less of a blow when DPM is mandated as the standard working rig.

It's the future, today.
Erm..sorry to appear an ignoramus but WTF is DPM ( I left the mob in 75 and some of the new terminology is lost on me) and while I am here JPR ??
Disruptive Pattern Material,Cammo gear. :lol: :lol:
 

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Apologies stirling - I neglected to answer your question because of the shock of hearing about this for the first time.

SF
 

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Jimbo3188 said:
Why the feck do the RN insist on changing the titles of people and branches? Jimbo
Keep up! Changing branch names saves money! You can't have a hard-copy diary unless you buy your own, but we'll pay for the design and production of new branch badges 'til the cows come home.

It comes from the same think tank that invented Topmast and other routes to an OBE. Or dancing to the government's tune, if you prefer.

B**ger history - it teaches some of us nothing.
 
Silver Fox

The writings on the bulkhead. Last time I served with BFFI, I was frowned on for wearing OG rig. At least DPM is useful when not feeling on form; designed to look like a bag of poo tied up with string!
 
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Silver Fox

The writings on the bulkhead. Last time I served with BFFI, I was frowned on for wearing OG rig. At least DPM is useful when not feeling on form; designed to look like a bag of poo tied up with string!
...AND FOR THE BENEFIT OF STIRLING the following link will explain:

BFFI

the rivet
XX
 
andym said:
stirling said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
It's in the spirit of Jointery. As the Senior Service, the Navy has to make the most changes, particularly as the Army is so hard pressed at the moment and needs the chance to catch up. It should also be noted that the Army, and to a lesser extent, the Air Force, become insecure when wearing anything other than DPM CS95. As a consequence, removing the Navy's identity will make it less of a blow when DPM is mandated as the standard working rig.

It's the future, today.
Erm..sorry to appear an ignoramus but WTF is DPM ( I left the mob in 75 and some of the new terminology is lost on me) and while I am here JPR ??


Perhaps I am exceedingly thick instead of just thick but why would you require brown/khaki/greenish camouflage clothing on a grey warships set in grey/blue/white sea and sky or even on a black submarine on which for 99% of the time you are inside. If you have a shore job in some sandy and hot place or hot and wet place, Borneo in my case, you are issued with the gear for then period you are there. Why do matelots need it in a UK Dockyard or walking about the upper deck of a grey warship where it would make them more visible than No4's/8ts.

Confused of Tumwells Bridge

Nutty
 
Dear Confused of Turnwells Bridge
(where the h*ll is that)

It is part of a new cost saving programme where the RN will be able to save shed loads of cash by buying all it's uniforms from the aemy surplus sales instead of having to buy new stuff from the manufacturere. The cash saved will allow each Jimmy to be able to paint ship at least once every 5 years.

Yours

Your frozen aunty in the north
 

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
Nutty asked

Perhaps I am exceedingly thick instead of just thick but why would you require brown/khaki/greenish camouflage clothing on a grey warships set in grey/blue/white sea and sky or even on a black submarine on which for 99% of the time you are inside.
I have seen DPM being worn by WAFUs IIRC mid Atlantic (nothing to do with boarding). It satisfies, as a shipmate (a cynic not the guilty party) told me, a matelot's inner Andy McNab. Stranger still is (more than one ) officer in DPM and cap, white cover, Flag Officers, for the use of.

Ask hammockhead, titles have been changing, added, taken away since Long John Silver had an egg on his shoulder. Post Captain anyone? Fleet Chief, Lieutenant Commander, Chief Petty Officer, Second Class PO,
Leading Cook - Leading Chef-Leading Seaman (Scran), Old Warrant Officer, New Warrant Officer, Charge Chief-WO2, ET, Mechanician, ERA, Artificer 5, 4, 3, 2, 1st Class, Stoker, Stoker Mechanic, MEM, other EMs, MEM with brackets, OEM, OM. Okay a lot of it is recent but it isn't done on a whim. Doesn't mean I approve in every case and yes, it is hard keeping up. Keeps the seamstresses busy though.
 

stirling2

Banned
golden_rivet said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Silver Fox

The writings on the bulkhead. Last time I served with BFFI, I was frowned on for wearing OG rig. At least DPM is useful when not feeling on form; designed to look like a bag of poo tied up with string!
...AND FOR THE BENEFIT OF STIRLING the following link will explain:

BFFI

the rivet
XX
Cheers rivet :)
 

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
Perhaps I am exceedingly thick instead of just thick but why would you require brown/khaki/greenish camouflage clothing on a grey warships set in grey/blue/white sea and sky or even on a black submarine on which for 99% of the time you are inside. If you have a shore job in some sandy and hot place or hot and wet place, Borneo in my case, you are issued with the gear for then period you are there. Why do matelots need it in a UK Dockyard or walking about the upper deck of a grey warship where it would make them more visible than No4's/8ts.

Confused of Tumwells Bridge

Nutty
Damn, sent the thing before writing anything.

Dear Confused

sadly, some of our RN colleagues just love posing in someone else's kit! One positive thing about DPM is that you don't need to buy in pot plants to keep the workplace decorated.

As far as I remember, Tumwells Bridge is not too far from that country lane that goes round London, eh, what?
 
andym said:
Maybe the answer is for each new recruit to supply their own uniform????
What like in Queen Victorias RN & Army Regiments when the CO decided on the Colours, Material & cut & paid for the Uniform (or not so Uniform as it would become.
Would not need Cap Tallies...............ahh look the Ships Company of 'Lusty', all in Pink, 'how nice' The Edinburgh crew in Tartan, Montrose sponsored by Virgin all in Red.
Perhaps it could lead to sponsored Ships as well, The HMS Lidl, Tesco & Aldi.
What a sad slippery slope we are accelerating down.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Joint statement of the international maritime virtual summit on crew changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Latest ESFA senior staff changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government plan new changes to criminal records disclosure regime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary fee changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leicestershire coronavirus lockdown: areas and changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major changes to insolvency law come into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): ministerial direction for changes to the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS) MoD News 0
I Changes to the British Nationality Act 1981 refernce Republic of Ireland Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS Changes to exemptions from the Veterinary Medicines Regulations (VMR) for small pet animals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to identity verification and signing deeds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Covid-19: Temporary changes to the Statutory Residence Test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterinary surgeons: temporary changes to the retail supply of veterinary medicines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Temporary changes to Subject Access Request guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus - Temporary changes to how we process fishing vessel licence applicatons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government confirms the biggest changes to building safety in a generation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary changes to right to rent and right to work checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Corona virus (COVID-19) - Updates and changes to services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: Changes to UKSV Services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator responds to Coronavirus impacts with changes to regulatory approach MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the law in Northern Ireland: updated information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Changes to DBS ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus – Changes to Veterans UK Services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Changes to standard and enhanced ID checking guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield permit changes issued MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Get ready for changes to Capital Gains Tax payment for UK property sales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory test changes: 14 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to licensing of the lethal control of herring gull and lesser black-backed gull MoD News 0
MoD_RSS No changes expected for UK nationals in Russia following Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted consults on changes to inspection framework for teacher training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pneumococcal vaccination: infant schedule changes from January 2020 letter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the IMS hours of operation in December 2019 - January 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: eligibility changes for separated migrant children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minor changes to the appearance of physical DBS certificates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the currency of UK State Pension and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit paid into Yemeni bank accounts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Have your say on Sellafield permit changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fee changes for DBS checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to shared ownership to help more people get on the property ladder MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University of Liverpool changes student debt penalty policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to Pearson changes to BTEC grading criteria 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS pensions for senior clinicians: new changes announced to improve care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Qualifications regulators consult on changes to rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Upcoming changes to the enhanced disclosure application process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: changes to speed up payments and new guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to NHS pensions for senior clinicians: have your say MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: changes to crime contract because of new parole rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the professional skills test for teachers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to our late filing penalties manual MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smoother journey through Highways England contract changes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK changes travel advice to Iran MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top