Changes to SMQ

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
First I've heard. The Swifture Pt 3's were a disaster so hopefully this is a dit.
I did my Part 3 on Swiftsure and I've always been a disaster! Not saying they were short of bodies, but did a combined Pt3 and Panel board, then immediately double banked on the panel!

pompeyexpat

War Hero
My oppo’s an SMQ Instructor, he hasn’t mentioned it, and my boy’s doing his SMQ now and he’s not said anything. I’ll ask Monday.

LateToTheParty

Lantern Swinger
It’s not going to affect me doing it but just seems a bit of a strange rumour to have come about without any evidence

Last edited:
It’s not going to effect me doing it but just seems a bit of a strange rumour to have come about without any evidence
Strange rumours = Good buzzes (Which are/were never accompanied by 'evidence')

From a distance I'd suggest you've been had and the originator must be chortling up his foulie sleeves to learn that his latest buzz has been offered up in all innocence to the wisest of RR for authentication.:rolleyes:

Once qualified you'll have learned that the best way to deal with suchlike 'strange rumours' is to pass them along (with minor embellishments and an oblique reference to a genuine-sounding source) whilst keeping a straight face.

Sorry to burst the bubble but 'tis the weird way of the world, Grasshopper: Apply a bandage to the bite, zip and chill. :cool:

Meanwhile. compare & contrast <<effect vs. affect>>

etsandy

Midshipman
Unfortunately this is not a dit. The course will be lengthened (flexible at the moment so as to work out ideal timings.) It is forcast for Q3 2018. The intention being to qualify a greater number of Submariners. How this is to implemented as of yet is not fully clear as their is a number of plans banding around. The intention looks to be that the rating get his/her SM pay and kissing-kippers O/C of the course that looks to remove the need to dive/sail on a S/M. (Don't shoot the messenger...)

fishhead

War Hero
I expect the RN wannabee pilots will soon be doing something similar if this is a success. Six months theory, get their wings and wait for the F35s to turn up;)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Wreckage, can you explain what happened regarding the Swiftsure Part 3s, as I don't know this (sad) tale. When was it?

WreckerL

War Hero
In 1979 Swifture went in to dock in Guzz for refit, I can't remember the reason but there was an industrial dispute and the boat was boycotted by the dockyard. She was stuck in dock for nearly 18 months before any work was done.

Some bright spark thought it a good idea to use it for training Part 3's, excellent idea so far, but they extended the idea to qualify them and give them their dolphins without them going to sea and actually operating live systems..

I was on Sovereign at the time and a few joined us after getting qualified that way. We basically had start training them again, which was a pain for both parties.

rhun

Midshipman
They need to make some serious changes to make this work. From a MESM perspective when lads join us from SMQ they're a long way off the standard required to hold a shutdown or lower-level watch.

Last edited:

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Unfortunately this is not a dit. The course will be lengthened (flexible at the moment so as to work out ideal timings.) It is forcast for Q3 2018. The intention being to qualify a greater number of Submariners. How this is to implemented as of yet is not fully clear as their is a number of plans banding around. The intention looks to be that the rating get his/her SM pay and kissing-kippers O/C of the course that looks to remove the need to dive/sail on a S/M. (Don't shoot the messenger...)
Yep, seems to be. My oppo confirmed changes were happening, although I’ve not had the chance to talk details with him.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
In 1979 Swifture went in to dock in Guzz for refit, I can't remember the reason but there was an industrial dispute and the boat was boycotted by the dockyard. She was stuck in dock for nearly 18 months before any work was done.

Some bright spark thought it a good idea to use it for training Part 3's, excellent idea so far, but they extended the idea to qualify them and give them their dolphins without them going to sea and actually operating live systems..

I was on Sovereign at the time and a few joined us after getting qualified that way. We basically had start training them again, which was a pain for both parties.
Thanks for that - interesting, and I can see what 'they' were trying to achieve. But surely going to another boat would have meant doing a BSQ on that boat?

WreckerL

War Hero
Thanks for that - interesting, and I can see what 'they' were trying to achieve. But surely going to another boat would have meant doing a BSQ on that boat?
It did SB, but as you know, you're expected to do it quicker. I was a TCPO on Sovereign and was sea dad ('cos I was the killick) to a Swiftsure Pt 3 and we basically had to start from the beginning, his (and the others that joined us) system knowledge was diabolical.

It was almost as if inboard had waved a magic wand to clear their books (as if:rolleyes:)

Latest Threads