Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Test

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A significant number of candidates fail the PRMC because they are unable to complete the three mile run at the very beginning of the course, within the required timings. (75% or PRMC fails occur on the 3 mile run)

As it amounts to considerable waste, RM candidates will in future complete a three mile run, as their Pre Joining Fitness Test.

New RM PJFT

In order to ensure that RM candidates are able to complete the three mile run, an RM candidate PJFT is being introduced on 01 Sept 08.

This will consist of 2x2.4km runs; the first run to be completed within 12m 30s, the second run, to be a best effort, but within 10m 30, with a minutes rest in between the two runs. The runs are to be conducted on a 2 degree inclination on the running machine.

The new RM PJFT will be introduced on 01 Sep 08. Any candidate who has been informed by letter before 31 Aug 08, that the PJFT consists of only the one 2.4 km run, is to continue with that standard and may attend the PRMC (provided they meet the required timing).

The new RM PJFT letter will be sent on/after 01 Sep 08.

PJFT

RM New PJFT Standard Timings

First part a steady 2.4kms in time allowed 12m30s

Second part a 2.4kms timed best effort 10m30s

(Both parts must be completed within the allotted time)

For RM, the running machine is to be set to 2 degree inclination, throughout the test.

The candidate is to have a thorough warm up and stretch, prior to commencing the test.

The candidate is to control all settings on the running machine, speeding up and slowing down as required.

The time when the distance on the running machine reaches 2.4km is to be recorded, to the nearest whole second

For RM, there is to be a 1min wind-down/break before the second timed run. Again the time when the distance on the running machine reaches 2.4km is to be recorded, to the nearest whole second.

2. Ninja,
    do they still have to do pull ups? apon entering the Careers office?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Not anymore, mind you I wouldn't be surprised if the odd Royal Marine recruiter suggests the applicant may like to demonstrate their ability, particularly if he's dubious. The training team from CTC do visit the major cities and conduct Royal Marines Acquaint Days (RMAD) which is like a mini PRMC (3 mile run, Bleep Test & RMFA) for potential Royals and helps them gain a good insight as to what is expected).

Whether the RMADs will continue after the introduction of the 3 mile PJFT remains to be seen.

4. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Thanks for the update Ninja_Stoker, I'm applying for RMR and will be doing it next month some time.

I went to the gym today and did the new test and I think it will definately sort the wheat out from the chaff. My last time on the old PJFT (done last week) was 9.18 and today I did the new one in 9.53. I was running at the same pace today as I did last week but had to slow down a tad near the end because I was starting to hang out. I put this down to running up hill (all be it on a 2% incline).

IMHO the old PJFT is a lot easier than the new one because 1. It is just 1.5 miles and 2. It's on a 0% gradient. I can see why the powers that be want a harder test to filter out those who are likely to fail the 3 miler at the PRMC and this will certainly give anyone preparing to go an insight into what standard of fitness is required.

5. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

I did this for my pjft about a month ago, apparently I was the first guinea pig. Fair enough like because of all the wasted time and money on failings.

6. This change can only be a good thing I reckon. Even if it only serves as an eye opener for the lads who rock up thinking they are ready to start training since they can run a mile and a half.

7. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Especially putting the incline on there, a significant difference to just running flat.

Can I just ask, what level of incline should it be on? My gym only goes up in levels, and in mph as well.

8. Ninja_Stoker

"For RM, the running machine is to be set to 2 degree inclination, throughout the test."

9. Bloody hell their not even in and Pussers got em going uphill!!

10. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Yeah, but I'm on some crazy foreign model that goes up in levels, level 1, level 2, specifically not degrees!

I think they should add 30lbs of kit to the treadmill run, thus saving money and putting recruitment at an all time low. And they have to do bicep curls while running. :thumright:

11. Ninja_Stoker

Hmmn, not knowing which crazy foreign machine is at your gym it's rather difficult to advise.

Perhaps this may help: :thumright:

[​IMG]

12. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Why all this talk of treadmills? I did mine on the road, supposedly for insurance reasons. Treadmills are easier to run on than the road so maybe they should ditch the treadmill altogether an get out on the road.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, but how could the fitness assessor read his paper, drink his tea and monitor you simultaneously if it was conducted as a road run?

14. No wander I found the 90 degree setting hard...

But I was told doing treadmill is a lot easier, so as rule always put it on incline to get as close as you can to running on a pavement.

15. It was a road that looped, so the instructor got to stand on one spot and hope I don't cheat along the course. A treadmill on 2 degrees is supposed to equal a flat road but nothing compares to being out in the air dodging potholes.

16. Ninja_Stoker

You are quite correct- all applicants are advised to conduct mainly road runs rather than only treadmill runs after they have completed PJFT.

17. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Too right, back in the day, the idea of doing a run on a treadmill would have been laughable. Ah well, I gues that progress for you.

18. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Surely doing it on the running machine is a lot easier then doing it on the road. No smutty comments please

19. Re: Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Te

Other than the friction burn ;)

Seriously though, treadmill running is easier than road running. You dont have the random changes in elevation on a treadmill, nor are you required to do anything more than hop on the spot, whereas with running you are required to propell yourself. Also missing is the wind... unless someone farts in the gym.

20. Ninja_Stoker

The introduction of the 3 mile RM PJFT has been put back to October at the earliest.