Changes to navys surface fleet

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by danny, Dec 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe i actually did and i forgot. Was shocked all over again mind. Ooops
  2. Albion & Bulwark taking up the same spots as Fearless & Intrepid?

Bonus ball = Ocean?
  3. Poor old Ocean... and her ship's company. Built to cheap and cheerful commercial standards to last 20 years at most and already 15 years old.
  4. And cheap(er) to run and cheap on manpower - what was that about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing?
  5. A lesson not learned by Troglodyte Naval constructors. It's only in recent years that they seem to be using propulsion elements from merchant marine design. Old technology to them, now. I bet the accommodation was good

By the time we (taxpayer) have payed for new stuff, it has passed a sell by date. Maybe not the T45?
  6. FFS Largs Bay is only 4 years old!
  7. Bulwark takes over from Albion and Albion going into Mothball has been on the table for ages.

With that and the 4 22's going there is over 800 Guzz ratings looking to get on the remaining Guzz ships.
  8. New fleet tankers for the RFA !
  9. The British can defend themselves against anyone. Except themselves!!!!!!!
    The 800 Guzz rates will be ok. They can form various Naval Parties to deploy on the RFA's filling in for warships on deployments.
  10. Illustrious to go Ocean Stays

Why is beyond me though,

Navy News
  11. I dont get why they are getting rid of RFA Fort George. Surely youd get rid of one of the older fort rosalie or fort austin???

thinking of resale value rather than operational capability???

shame about the T22's. last decent frigates.
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The Fort George is designed primarily to support CVS nowadays, so the AOR requirement is massively diminished until the CVF arrives.
  13. Maybe its due a refit and upgrade compared to the others 2?
  14. Perhaps we should all form a conglomerate and buy ARK, LUST, Harriers, T22's et al from the MOD for a nominal value, say £1, and then rent out the ships when the PM, MP's and MOD realise that there aren't enough ships to do all the tasks they want. Oh, and there will be 5000 redundant sailors to man then too!
  15. I'm not manning any Sailors for no one.