Changes to eye sight standards?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mark_23, Jan 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I have read in a few places that the current tri service policy on laser eye surgery is or was under review does anyone know the out come off this? Has the policy changed much? if at all. Does any one have a copy of the up to date policy?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only recent change I'm aware of is that you must be 12 months clear of surgery & over age 22 before you can be passed fit.
  3. Fair few divers getting it done. Pusser will even pay in some circumstances. Far cry from a few years ago.
  4. thanks, what do you mean by ''Pusser will even pay for it''?

5. Oh dear! you don't know what 'pusser' is and your on an RN website. Research needed methinks!!!!!
  6. Not all types of corrective surgery are acceptable. In general terms, the more you spend the better the outcome will be. However, I have yet to meet an optician or ophthalmologist who has had their eyes "done".
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I've created a rough guide to the eyesight standards & the current service policy with regard firing laser beams into your eyeballs on the RM website: Eyesight - the facts about mince pies - Potential Royal Marines Course forum

Obviously the eyesight standards vary between branches but the generic official advice isthe same.