Change to Bounty Requirement - Pass required at RNFT

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Purple_twiglet, Nov 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I understand that as of last month a PASS is now required at RNFT to achieve bounty. Failure to achieve this will not get an annual certificate of efficiency which means no salary increment, no bounty and no qualifying time to VRSM.

Personally I think its an excellent idea, but what do others think?

2. How can someone be signed off as having a satisfactory year in service when they neglect a very simple and mandatory requirement - fitness.

I would have thought this as standard.

3. Quite right.

4. Purple_twiglet

"How can someone be signed off as having a satisfactory year in service when they neglect a very simple and mandatory requirement - fitness"

totally agree - previously the RNR was counted as in date for fitness by attempting the test. Now they have to pass it.

I'd be curious to see if the regular RN adopts a similar approach to qualifying years for medal awards, and pay rises for not passing RNFT too?

5. I think it is long overdue - a very good initiative (and it is not like it is a bad thing from a personal perspective to be fit anyway)

Now, what about being able to provide evidence of dental fitness as well - annual check up confirmation or similar? In the early days of Mobilisation for TELIC one of the major reasons for failure was dental hygiene problems that couldn't be quickly or cheaply) fixed by the dentist at Whale Island

6. P-T; you can be denied an annual increment for not being date for fitness test, and you won't go before a Promotion Board either. As for GCBs/LSGC Medal, an interesting idea, probably now achievable on JPA.....

7. unbelieveable...

8. Purple_twiglet

"you can be denied an annual increment for not being date for fitness test, and you won't go before a Promotion Board either"

Surely now then, the RN should follow the RNRs lead and ensure that you replace 'in date for fitness test' with 'passed fitness test to required level'?

9. Purple_twiglet

The RNFT shows that you can attempt it, and this can be recorded as being 'in date' - even if you fail.

10. As soon as you fail the RNFT you are not 'in date', not eligible for promotion etc. SJRM is correct on this one.

11. Purple_twiglet

"As soon as you fail the RNFT you are not 'in date', not eligible for promotion etc. SJRM is correct on this one"

Okay - that makes more sense to me. The RNR has been running it that if you attempted it, then you counted as being in date, even if you didnt pass. Glad to see that is changing.

12. Purple_twiglet

I would suggest that the way the RNR record the RNFT is flawed. You can only be 'in date' if you have passed RNFT, it matters not how many times you have attempted it and this, to me, is fairly obvious and simple. "

Hence the RNR has managed to cock it up ;-)

13. You don't have to fail to be out of date - you just have to be >1 year since last pass. The RN hasn't been promoting out-of-date RNFTers for a few years now.

I think it's shocking that a mere attempt was ever counted as in-date by any branch of the Naval Service. It's a 10 minute run FFS.

14. Purple_twiglet

SJ - we're in violent agreement here. I think its a case of misunderstanding by parts of the RNR - there is no reason for it and I'm glad its been clarified.

15. You're confusing pass at RNFT with eligibility for bounty.
    "Attempt" is just that - if you fail then you fail BUT used to count for bounty purposes.

How many regulars dip out for £1,700 if they're out of date? RNR now have to be in date on 2 dates a year - CRD (or else report not boarded) and 31 Mar (else no bounty)

Forget that none of the units has a TEMERAIRE approved PTI or that remedial package doesn't exist. Not applying the same rules to both sides of the house.

16. None. They lose far more than that because they get kicked out.

So stop dripping you fat sea cadet, hobbyist commitment-phobe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just to offer a little perspective 'In date' = Pass in the RMR.

From the RN website:

Maritime Reserves

The Maritime Reserves is a unique and loyal group of people who train part time to become Royal Naval Reservists or Royal Marines Reservists, while keeping their civilian jobs and lives.
    Challenges don’t get much bigger than this and if you’re ready for it, this is where it starts. Just choose which Reservist you’d like to be.

How can one organisation have 2 standards?

Let me help:

Dear Colonel Bloggs

Please could I loan one of your PTI to thrash
    to within an inch of their lives the *% of my current SOC who are overweight, under exercised and spend every drill night dripping about the lack of any organised training. This request is driven by the vein hope that they will either:

1. Pass RNFT
    2. Leave and stop embarrassing those (few?) individuals who can pass a straight forward and reasonable physcial assessment.
    Yours aye

Fat Jac
    k

• Like Like x 2
  18. Regulars missing out on £1700 - The 2 in my last ship who had their Local Acting Leading Rate taken off of them when they went out of date lost more than that over the time the gaps remained. Also, the AB who would have been pretty much a dead cert for promotion if in date. The 3 I sent to INM for final review before discharge stood to loose more too. Those are examples I can personally cite. There were lots of people of all Ranks and Rates not presented to promotion boards. I can't understand it myself - but I suppose it increases the odds for me!

I also have to be in date on 2 occasions a year - CRD and the day the promotion board sits. Not a problem though as I actually have to be in date 365 days a year as it is my duty to be so. The RNFT has been with us for about 18 years now - I know we have only been taking it seriously for the last few, but surely it is time to just get with it and stay in date?

19. Purple_twiglet

See No Ships:
    The bounty argument is very dangerous and holds little water with me. Being able to put your feet in front of each other and move a certain distance in a short time is not challenging nor difficult.

Whinging that you have to ensure you do it twice a year is frankly fooking pathetic. This is the RNFT - it is the MINIMUM acceptable standard of fitness for membership of the Naval Service. If you are unable to achieve this very basic level of fitness at no notice, then what the hell are you doing in the armed forces?

As for the dripping about not having a PTI to do it for you - use some common sense and initiative. Ring up TEMERAIRE and ask them to send you a PTI. Go to any Naval base and do it there. Go to London and do it there. My own branch now has mandatory RNFT as the first evolution on every training weekend with compulsory participation. If you're that desperate then PM me and I'll tell you when we're next doing it so you can rock up and do it. I think its a marvellous idea - Sat AM go for a run, not sit there and mentally **** over how 'good' MCM10 was.

For gods sake, man up and stop dripping.

• Like Like x 5
  20. What's all this bollox about not having a PTI? How difficult can it be to go for a run near your own home once or twice a week (with a watch). And, as has already been said, the RNFT is a minimum standard and it is also a long way short of qualification for the Olympics.

If someone can't meet the (minimum) standard and maintain the (minimum) standard just how "committed" can someone be to serving in the RN/RNR?