Change of watch

The yanks have a totally different watchkeeping ethos. I was talking to my wrecker counterpart on a yank boat and he said his 6 hours on watch were 6 hours on the panel, needing someone to take over if he needed the heads.

He was amazed when I said my 6 on was a couple of hours on the panel and the rest of the watch doing defects, maintenance etc (OK, on watch movies :) ).

It must be totally knackering to do 12 hours on and 6 off, it was bad enough on the rare occasions when I had to stay up off watch to repair something!

fails_as_is

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Don't understand why they haven't gone with 6 on 6 off before, (although that is the routine fwd in an SSN), it appears to be more driven by the nuclear watchkeeping patterns, which is the whole one and only thing that drives a lot of their submarine operations. I suppose it's all to do with their history, where Rickover was held in higher esteem than God himself, and so everything revolved around the nuclear aspects rather than the fact this submersible reactor was intended as a warship.

I'm not a submariner, but there must be something wrong with either my brain or my eyes. The last three posters are talking about 6 hour watches. I read the article and I'm sure it says that they are extending the 6 hour watches to 8.

Is it me?

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm not a submariner, but there must be something wrong with either my brain or my eyes. The last three posters are talking about 6 hour watches. I read the article and I'm sure it says that they are extending the 6 hour watches to 8.

Is it me?
Nope, I've read it as 8 8 and 8 over 24 hours instead of 6 6 & 6 over 18.

Is it me?
What the septics were doing was basically 12 on 6 off (6 on watch, 6 turned to, 6 racked out) so sleep deprivation was a biggy. Fwd on UK SSN's is 6 on watch, 6 off, so you could get a total of 12 hours off per day so sleep deprivation didn't really come into it.

What the septics were doing was basically 12 on 6 off (6 on watch, 6 turned to, 6 racked out) so sleep deprivation was a biggy. Fwd on UK SSN's is 6 on watch, 6 off, so you could get a total of 12 hours off per day so sleep deprivation didn't really come into it.

As opposed to 6 on, 6 turned too, 6 on and 6 off. Life is a bitch with snaggs or CSSTs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
Tartan_Terrier SCC and URNU 15
J History 52