Change of watch

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Dredd, May 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't see any change, instead of 6 on 6 off 6 on 6 off it will be 6 on 6 off 6 on the first day and 6 off 6 on 6 off the next day. Not a lot of difference as far as I can see,any way it was an American article.

2. The yanks have a totally different watchkeeping ethos. I was talking to my wrecker counterpart on a yank boat and he said his 6 hours on watch were 6 hours on the panel, needing someone to take over if he needed the heads.

He was amazed when I said my 6 on was a couple of hours on the panel and the rest of the watch doing defects, maintenance etc (OK, on watch movies :) ).

It must be totally knackering to do 12 hours on and 6 off, it was bad enough on the rare occasions when I had to stay up off watch to repair something!

3. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

Don't understand why they haven't gone with 6 on 6 off before, (although that is the routine fwd in an SSN), it appears to be more driven by the nuclear watchkeeping patterns, which is the whole one and only thing that drives a lot of their submarine operations. I suppose it's all to do with their history, where Rickover was held in higher esteem than God himself, and so everything revolved around the nuclear aspects rather than the fact this submersible reactor was intended as a warship.

4. I'm not a submariner, but there must be something wrong with either my brain or my eyes. The last three posters are talking about 6 hour watches. I read the article and I'm sure it says that they are extending the 6 hour watches to 8.

Is it me?

• Like Like x 1
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nope, I've read it as 8 8 and 8 over 24 hours instead of 6 6 & 6 over 18.

6. As long as you get 1 to 7 off (RHIP!) I can't see a problem.

7. fails_as_is

There's three watches on a submarine, first watch, second watch and the other watch

8. What the septics were doing was basically 12 on 6 off (6 on watch, 6 turned to, 6 racked out) so sleep deprivation was a biggy. Fwd on UK SSN's is 6 on watch, 6 off, so you could get a total of 12 hours off per day so sleep deprivation didn't really come into it.

9. No fourth watch, but there is a 5th watch.......

10. fails_as_is

Blackwatch and proud!

11. And Black Watch.

12. As opposed to 6 on, 6 turned too, 6 on and 6 off. Life is a bitch with snaggs or CSSTs.

13. I do 6 on 12 off! It's the only perk of being a sws fag

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

14. Or being a Part 3 bastard.