Change of branches before entry

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ANDY_224, Mar 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was down at my afco in belfast for a sort of acquaint day last month and heard the CO mention to someone you could resit the psychometric test after 3 years and re-pick your branch if desired with the time you've already waited still counting towards your new branch choice.
    I have been in the pipe-line waiting just over a year so far for my branch but now I have been told the waiting time is up to 46 months. I had no problem with with waiting 2-3 years I'm sure any of you would agree 4 years is a long time you could even have served and left the navy within that time! and as I'm getting on the sooner I can get a career going the better.
    Realising there will be a wait for whatever branch I choose can anyone tell me if I can re-sit the psychometric test now rather than after 3 years, re-pick my branch and have the year I've been waiting still count?
    cheers for any help!!!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The waiting time starts when you pass the recruiting test at the required level for that particular trade. A higher resit score cannot normally be retrospectively applied for a different trade, otherwise everyone would keep re-sitting the test during the waiting period.

The only exception to this is if having already passed the test for a particular trade, the test parameters are changed making the applicant ineligible in the interim period. If a later resit & pass at the higher level for the same trade is reached, the initial test date remains the starting point of the waiting period. Currently this only applies for Engineering Technicial trades. If the resit does not produce the new/higher required score, (or the applicant is over 30 years of age) an alternative trade can be selected, with the start date of the initial test results applied.

There we are, clear as mud. :toothy3:

Try facing East re-reading the above as you'llneed all the help you can get. I need a lie-down after trying to explain that one. If there's any doubt lingering, talk to your AFCO to see if they can explain it better & for entertainment value.
  3. What are you waiting 46 months for?

The fact that people are waiting 46 months to join the RN both bemuses me and awes me - there is no way I would have had that patience....
  4. Near went cross eyed readin that one but think I have the jist of it! Cheers Ninja
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the danger is that some choose to claim they are waiting for an entry date when in fact they have not passed selection, only the recruiting test, so technically they have applied for a job, but should not cease applying for other jobs or opt out of further education until they are in receipt of a provisional offer of service & a specific start date a couple of weeks away.

The RN is accepting applications in all trades, regardless of the long wait before there are actual training places available. This way, the applicant at least has a claimed place in the "queue" of applicants to be processed, unlike the Police, Fire service, RAF, Civil Service etc., who only permit applications for specific vacancies available at the time of the job enquiry.
  6. I've applied for Aircraft controller. The waiting time from when I first applied has jumped from: 4 months > 18 months > 24 months > 36 months > 48 months.
    Just an unfourtunate time to be joining up mixed with bad timing on my part! lol. Regardless weather I like it or not it's all part of the recruitment process these days.
  7. The trouble is the provisional offer of service isn't going to come until the end of the 46 months, or however long you're having to wait. I was pretty fortunate in that most of my tests/meds etc, came early on in the process so I knew it was just a waiting game & a case of keeping up the training. For others though, they are waiting months even for a medical so it's far more frustrating for them.

I agree that unlike the civil service, getting your foot in the door by joining a frustratingly long queue can give you more of a sense of security... perhaps falsely, as it is the Navy who say that the wait begins on the date of the RT- although it is always very clear that it's on the proviso that you pass all the required stages.

I have a full time job, and did so when I applied for the Navy. I think that's the best way to keep your feet on the ground throughout the application. It seems to be the younger ones without jobs, and the school-leavers, who are being the most impatient- certainly on this forum!! :(