Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chances Of Selection Into BRNC for Pilot

Aprilia-Riley

Midshipman
Hi,
I've recently passed my AIB and my final aircrew medical examination. I would like to get anyone's opinion on my chances of selection into the November entry.
As far as I'm aware (and they have been very vague in telling me the results), my FAT score was around the 120 mark, and my AIB pass slightly above average.
Any thoughts/information or past experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'd be inclined to go off the advice briefed following the AIB pass tbh as they will know how many aircrew passes are in the pipeline versus the amount of vacancies in November and the average scores achieved. Your ACLO should also have given you an AIB de-brief and the likelihood of being selected for aircrew with the scores achieved.

A while back, aircrew needed a well above average AIB pass as well as the FATs pass at pilot level. If you were low on FATs but high enough on AIB, Observer or ATCO would have been discussed as an option to consider.

More recently the AIB pass score has been lowered and the recruiting test pass score has been lowered but the FATs pass score & Aircrew medical have remained stringently applied. If you were "above average" on the original AIB scoring, then the prospects look reasonable - unless all the places are already filled by higher achievers (I doubt).

Give your ACLO a call to ask if there's any more news - it's what they are paid for!

Best of luck, whatever the outcome.

Aprilia-Riley

Midshipman
I'd be inclined to go off the advice briefed following the AIB pass tbh as they will know how many aircrew passes are in the pipeline versus the amount of vacancies in November and the average scores achieved. Your ACLO should also have given you an AIB de-brief and the likelihood of being selected for aircrew with the scores achieved.

A while back, aircrew needed a well above average AIB pass as well as the FATs pass at pilot level. If you were low on FATs but high enough on AIB, Observer or ATCO would have been discussed as an option to consider.

More recently the AIB pass score has been lowered and the recruiting test pass score has been lowered but the FATs pass score & Aircrew medical have remained stringently applied. If you were "above average" on the original AIB scoring, then the prospects look reasonable - unless all the places are already filled by higher achievers (I doubt).

Give your ACLO a call to ask if there's any more news - it's what they are paid for!

Best of luck, whatever the outcome.

Thanks for the reply,
The only issue is that the brief following the AIB pass was extremely vague as to how many numbers there are available and my chances of selection, similarly my debrief from my ACLO was equally vague about my chances giving very little away.
However I did receive a letter following my AIB pass from HMS Sultan saying based on my scores and historical trends that I should be reasonably optimistic about my chances of selection, is this a standard letter or should I take what they say literally?
Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks for the reply,
The only issue is that the brief following the AIB pass was extremely vague as to how many numbers there are available and my chances of selection, similarly my debrief from my ACLO was equally vague about my chances giving very little away.
However I did receive a letter following my AIB pass from HMS Sultan saying based on my scores and historical trends that I should be reasonably optimistic about my chances of selection, is this a standard letter or should I take what they say literally?
Thanks

AIB are usually rather "non-commital" but that's as close as you're going to get to a "Woo-hoo, you've got yourself a job!".

You should be optimistic, literally. :wink:

Booner123

War Hero
What was the outcome AP?
I received the same letter after AIB so fingers crossed. I'll be going for the Feb 2015 entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aprilia-Riley

Midshipman
I was not selected for November entry. Unless the AIB letter tells you to be confident of a place at BRNC then you should not expect selection. I am now being considered for February entry also, however I am going to write a letter to the AIB asking for the chance to retake my tests .

Booner123

War Hero
Ah okay, not the reply I was hoping for aha. Good luck with the future intakes. Did you get a letter to say you weren't selected or did you just not hear from them?

Booner123

War Hero
Ah okay well at least you hear from them rather than being left hanging. Sorry again to hear you weren't selected and good luck for all future selection boards.

Aprilia-Riley

Midshipman
No I haven't heard anything yet either, the board sat on Friday so I guess if we haven't heard anything by tomorrow we haven't been selected

Booner123

War Hero
I'm pretty sure whoever told you that was wrong. When I had my AIB I was told by the president of the board that they sat on the 6th of November and that was backed up by another user on here ringing AIB to find out.

Booner123

War Hero
Surely if they had been told then everyone that hadn't been selected would get told that as well? I have a couple of friends that were told that they were almost definitely going to be selected and they haven't heard either yet so forgive me if I don't share your pessimism.

Aprilia-Riley

Midshipman
When I was not selected first time around I was not told I had been unsuccessful until at least 2 weeks after the successful candidates had received their joining instructions
I hope you're right though!

Booner123

War Hero
If after a week we haven't heard then it's probably more realistic that we weren't selected but until then I'm not giving up hope aha.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Accelerated Apprentice Selection Chances Joining the Royal Navy 2
J Selection Interview Success !!! Realistic chances of a commission ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS UK Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
C Chances of passing my medical?: previous mental health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
E AA ET/ME Recruitment chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Have I messed up my chances of joining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
TechFin The Chances of becoming an officer with only A-levels? The Fleet Air Arm 19
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
John the Baptist Are the chances of getting taken on as a biomedical science trainee good or sheit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Onestep Chances of comando aricrew The Fleet Air Arm 36
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
J Chances of becoming lightning II pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
southernbhoy96 Asthma chances need advice Health & Fitness 10
C Medical chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B F-35 Pilot chances? The Fleet Air Arm 18
ISeeThreeShips Better Chances Of Getting Back In If You've Previously Served? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
I Chances of Getting Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
B What the chances? RFA 4
N Realistically - what are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
O Fleet Air Arm chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Ninja_Stoker How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Chances of changing from Warfare GS to Aircrew? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P So many Newbies..Whats our chances??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
trelawney126 New Blow to Bliars chances of becomming EU President Current Affairs 15
T Wreath Claim - Has Boris scuppered chances of becoming PM The Gash Barge 3
GuyC What are my chances!? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B could acute sciatica hinder my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
B What are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L leaving it late-what are my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO General Council: DG Selection Process MoD News 0
B AA AE selection Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO General Council on the Director General Selection Process MoD News 0
B SELECTION BOARD FOR NURSING Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Selection after AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1
F Naval nurse selection process Joining the Royal Navy 6
F Student Nurse Selection Board!! Anyone else have there dates?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
F Royal Navy Student Nurse selection board Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS UK teams complete space weather mission study ahead of selection decision in November MoD News 0
A Changing role after successful selection interview Joining the Royal Navy 16
J Weapons engineer advanced apprentice Scheme Selection 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
9 Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C September selection (BRNC) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
C Selection Interview for AET Joining the Royal Navy 15
S Officer selection for ratings after initial training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
LeedsBornLeedsBred My Royal Navy selection interview experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Ghost29 Rating selection interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Ghost29 Selection interview for ET(WE) Joining the Royal Navy 4