Chances Of Selection Into BRNC for Pilot

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Aprilia-Riley, Jul 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I've recently passed my AIB and my final aircrew medical examination. I would like to get anyone's opinion on my chances of selection into the November entry.
    As far as I'm aware (and they have been very vague in telling me the results), my FAT score was around the 120 mark, and my AIB pass slightly above average.
    Any thoughts/information or past experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be inclined to go off the advice briefed following the AIB pass tbh as they will know how many aircrew passes are in the pipeline versus the amount of vacancies in November and the average scores achieved. Your ACLO should also have given you an AIB de-brief and the likelihood of being selected for aircrew with the scores achieved.

A while back, aircrew needed a well above average AIB pass as well as the FATs pass at pilot level. If you were low on FATs but high enough on AIB, Observer or ATCO would have been discussed as an option to consider.

More recently the AIB pass score has been lowered and the recruiting test pass score has been lowered but the FATs pass score & Aircrew medical have remained stringently applied. If you were "above average" on the original AIB scoring, then the prospects look reasonable - unless all the places are already filled by higher achievers (I doubt).

Give your ACLO a call to ask if there's any more news - it's what they are paid for!

Best of luck, whatever the outcome.
  3. Thanks for the reply,
    The only issue is that the brief following the AIB pass was extremely vague as to how many numbers there are available and my chances of selection, similarly my debrief from my ACLO was equally vague about my chances giving very little away.
    However I did receive a letter following my AIB pass from HMS Sultan saying based on my scores and historical trends that I should be reasonably optimistic about my chances of selection, is this a standard letter or should I take what they say literally?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

AIB are usually rather "non-commital" but that's as close as you're going to get to a "Woo-hoo, you've got yourself a job!".

You should be optimistic, literally. :wink:
  5. Well that sounds like good news! Cheers for your help
  6. What was the outcome AP?
    I received the same letter after AIB so fingers crossed. I'll be going for the Feb 2015 entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. I was not selected for November entry. Unless the AIB letter tells you to be confident of a place at BRNC then you should not expect selection. I am now being considered for February entry also, however I am going to write a letter to the AIB asking for the chance to retake my tests .
  8. Ah okay, not the reply I was hoping for aha. Good luck with the future intakes. Did you get a letter to say you weren't selected or did you just not hear from them?

9. I had an email saying I had passed my medical but I had not been selected for November entry
  10. Ah okay well at least you hear from them rather than being left hanging. Sorry again to hear you weren't selected and good luck for all future selection boards.

11. Has anybody going for the February entry for Aircrew Officer heard anything yet?
  12. No not yet. Meant to hear any day now though.

13. No I haven't heard anything yet either, the board sat on Friday so I guess if we haven't heard anything by tomorrow we haven't been selected
  14. They sat on Thursday.

15. I was told the board sits on the 7th
  16. I'm pretty sure whoever told you that was wrong. When I had my AIB I was told by the president of the board that they sat on the 6th of November and that was backed up by another user on here ringing AIB to find out.

17. I expect the people who have been selected have already been told then
  18. Surely if they had been told then everyone that hadn't been selected would get told that as well? I have a couple of friends that were told that they were almost definitely going to be selected and they haven't heard either yet so forgive me if I don't share your pessimism.

19. When I was not selected first time around I was not told I had been unsuccessful until at least 2 weeks after the successful candidates had received their joining instructions
    I hope you're right though!
  20. If after a week we haven't heard then it's probably more realistic that we weren't selected but until then I'm not giving up hope aha.