Chances of comando aricrew

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Onestep, May 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just passed my recruit test as an aircrewman.
    My ideal roll would be in the comando aircrew, otherwise I think I'd take the route of light cavalry in the army.

I asked the AFCO after the exam howich choice I'm given between aircrew rolls, and he implied that it's generally people who have been in for years and that very few end up there.
    The anti subarmine roll doesnt apeal to me if I'm honest in concerned I'll end up in a roll I won't enjoy.

So what are the chances of someone ending up in the comando aircrew who is just signing up now? And what can one do go increase their chances of being picked for comando?
  2. Commando

Maybe spelling is not your strong point?

I believe all Aircrew go down the ASW route first and some are streamed to the Junglie circuit? I don't think you can guarantee what route you go down prior to joining?
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Having spoken with the branch manager on this very issue, they prefer Royal Marine aircrewmen in the Commando Aircrewman role. It's a simple fact.

That said, even qualified door gunners who've passed FATs can wait a couple of years to get a place on course. Training places are scarce.

At risk of being a prophet of doom, but in order to be honest & give a realistic overview, it's worth being aware from the outset that direct entry aircrewman applicants have about a 10% pass rate on FATs. In addition, direct entrants have about a 50% success rate at the initial aviation medical examination (this is after passing the recruit test, selection interview, medical examination, pre-joining fitness test). Any history of asthma? Forget it.

All that said, it's a cracking job if you are good enough and are prepared to bide your time.

4. Don't worry about JFH and spelling correctly.
    When the pilot gives the order to abandon the aircraft he normally does not have the time to spell it out:)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Typing on a phone there, sorry!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. You'll need to go above and beyond, Onestep.
  7. Just as an update:

My AFCO took me aside and explained that he's of the opinion I'm "under selling" myself and we have changed my application to observer.

Very exciting, both an chance to be an officer and to get up there in a very exiting role, I couldn't be happier.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Best o'luck. Why not Pilot?
  9. I think observer jut appealed to me more.
    I liked the idea of "fighting" the helicopter rather than flying it.
    I imagine that may limit me in civvy street, it's something I need to research this week.
    Spending all my downtime trying to prepare for the FAT of which im told there is no way to prepare!!
  10. Being a pilot you can go all Maverick and not Goose ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Each to their own. Lancaster tail-gunners probably thought the same.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I never knew that the Merlin had a tail gunner? Every day's a school day. :)
    Best he keeps his head down :cool:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Getting to be aircrew, in any role is not easy.
    However, if you choose to wear underwear or not is hardly an issue for the selector.

Have I missed something?
  14. You've missed something. According to the thread title he's going aricrew, not aircrew.

I never knew Ari's had a crew, they just sit on the plate waiting to be eaten.
  15. I always liked the idea of being an Observer until I was sent to Boats. Sod all to observe. No windows;)
  16. Perhaps you could transfer to the local dogging area and use your observation skills to some advantage
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I never got to fly a Merlin :D
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I remember that we did the first DLTs for the Merlin when I was on Argyll. They asked if I wanted to have a go, as I have a lot of experience that they could draw on, but I was busy doing tea for the lads. ;)
    • Like Like x 1