Chances of becoming lightning II pilot?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jsf-35, Feb 7, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello i am 15 and considering becoming a fleet air arm pilot as a potential career. With the joint strike fighter coming into service in 2018, i was wondering whether the time period in which i join matters, or whether it is inconsequential

2. If the F35 joins the fleet it will be with us until 2050 or thereabouts unless politicians decide otherwise.

Your biggest challenge will be jumping all the hurdles necessary to qualify as a jet jockey in either the RAF or FAA.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you!:)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's achievable to those who have the drive and determination with regard academic eligibility, aptitude & leadership potential.

The biggest hurdles, after comfortably meeting the criteria we seek, is meeting the stringent medical standards for entry. Any history of asthma is an outright show-stopper, perfect eyesight is a must, etc.

As stated above, many hurdles stand between you and your aspiration, but it is not impossible. The earlier you apply -age 17 onwards, the better your chance of success. Good luck.

5. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Someone did tell me once, and may be apocryphal, that for every person that ended up as a Harrier pilot, 2000 people walked into the AFCO and asked to be a Harrier pilot. I'm sure Ninja can affirm or debunk. :)

Don't ask, don't get, young man. You'll be kicking the tyres, soaring through the skies and ignoring your divisional work in no time LOL

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, the RAF used to reckon one fast jet pilot for every 35,000 AFCO 'walk-in' enquirers.

Presumably, if you walk-in and out a lot of times, it increases the odds :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Trainer

More than believe it - the figure I was given was for SHAR for FAA.

9. Just join as a wafu and mix with the rest of the fully qualified Hanger Pilots.

10. In fact any trade when it comes to Ships Open To Visitors ;)

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Hanger? Tsk!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Trainer

'Leading Chef "Smudger" Smith, Harrier Pilot, Shore Call, Gangway....'

13. Trainer

In fact, OP, study hard and get some good qualifications, because the likelihood is you'll be chopped Aircrew and end up as a Schoolie, like most of the Branch. Muggleblood, of course, not like us pure bred types....

14. Thanks for all the advice!

15. Also guys is there any guarantee that after enlisting as a pilot I will actually become one? (Referencing trainer's advice)

16. They won't change you to anything else if you pass. Trainer was referring to those who fail the course and end up doing something else.

Obviously passing is not guaranteed or there would be no observers or ATC :)

Regarding fixed or rotary wing streaming, please see here. It's a bit dated but I don't think things will change too much:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/pilot-streams.78663/

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thanks for the help :)

18. Trainer

Yes, my final piece of advice would remain Study and Try hard, but always have a plan B. Are you in the ATC or other cadets organisations? Militarisation is valuable and could help you a lot in the process.

Oh and don't listen to too much loud music......... keep your hearing good.

19. Recently I have been considering joining the ATC and I probably will now that you have recommended

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Don't confuse Air Traffic Controller (ATC) with Air Training Corps (ATC).

The latter may well help gild the path, the former, as @Montigny-La-Palisse will hopefully affirm, may not..