Chances of becoming lightning II pilot?

Hello i am 15 and considering becoming a fleet air arm pilot as a potential career. With the joint strike fighter coming into service in 2018, i was wondering whether the time period in which i join matters, or whether it is inconsequential

NormanB

Midshipman
If the F35 joins the fleet it will be with us until 2050 or thereabouts unless politicians decide otherwise.

Your biggest challenge will be jumping all the hurdles necessary to qualify as a jet jockey in either the RAF or FAA.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's achievable to those who have the drive and determination with regard academic eligibility, aptitude & leadership potential.

The biggest hurdles, after comfortably meeting the criteria we seek, is meeting the stringent medical standards for entry. Any history of asthma is an outright show-stopper, perfect eyesight is a must, etc.

As stated above, many hurdles stand between you and your aspiration, but it is not impossible. The earlier you apply -age 17 onwards, the better your chance of success. Good luck.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Someone did tell me once, and may be apocryphal, that for every person that ended up as a Harrier pilot, 2000 people walked into the AFCO and asked to be a Harrier pilot. I'm sure Ninja can affirm or debunk. :)

Don't ask, don't get, young man. You'll be kicking the tyres, soaring through the skies and ignoring your divisional work in no time LOL

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, the RAF used to reckon one fast jet pilot for every 35,000 AFCO 'walk-in' enquirers.

Presumably, if you walk-in and out a lot of times, it increases the odds :)

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
In fact, OP, study hard and get some good qualifications, because the likelihood is you'll be chopped Aircrew and end up as a Schoolie, like most of the Branch. Muggleblood, of course, not like us pure bred types....

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yes, my final piece of advice would remain Study and Try hard, but always have a plan B. Are you in the ATC or other cadets organisations? Militarisation is valuable and could help you a lot in the process.

Oh and don't listen to too much loud music......... keep your hearing good.