Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chances of becoming lightning II pilot?

jsf-35

Midshipman
Hello i am 15 and considering becoming a fleet air arm pilot as a potential career. With the joint strike fighter coming into service in 2018, i was wondering whether the time period in which i join matters, or whether it is inconsequential

NormanB

Midshipman
If the F35 joins the fleet it will be with us until 2050 or thereabouts unless politicians decide otherwise.

Your biggest challenge will be jumping all the hurdles necessary to qualify as a jet jockey in either the RAF or FAA.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's achievable to those who have the drive and determination with regard academic eligibility, aptitude & leadership potential.

The biggest hurdles, after comfortably meeting the criteria we seek, is meeting the stringent medical standards for entry. Any history of asthma is an outright show-stopper, perfect eyesight is a must, etc.

As stated above, many hurdles stand between you and your aspiration, but it is not impossible. The earlier you apply -age 17 onwards, the better your chance of success. Good luck.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Someone did tell me once, and may be apocryphal, that for every person that ended up as a Harrier pilot, 2000 people walked into the AFCO and asked to be a Harrier pilot. I'm sure Ninja can affirm or debunk. :)

Don't ask, don't get, young man. You'll be kicking the tyres, soaring through the skies and ignoring your divisional work in no time LOL

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, the RAF used to reckon one fast jet pilot for every 35,000 AFCO 'walk-in' enquirers.

Presumably, if you walk-in and out a lot of times, it increases the odds :)

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yep, the RAF used to reckon one fast jet pilot for every 35,000 AFCO 'walk-in' enquirers.

Presumably, if you walk-in and out a lot of times, it increases the odds :)

More than believe it - the figure I was given was for SHAR for FAA.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
In fact, OP, study hard and get some good qualifications, because the likelihood is you'll be chopped Aircrew and end up as a Schoolie, like most of the Branch. Muggleblood, of course, not like us pure bred types....

jsf-35

Midshipman
Also guys is there any guarantee that after enlisting as a pilot I will actually become one? (Referencing trainer's advice)

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yes, my final piece of advice would remain Study and Try hard, but always have a plan B. Are you in the ATC or other cadets organisations? Militarisation is valuable and could help you a lot in the process.

Oh and don't listen to too much loud music......... keep your hearing good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TechFin The Chances of becoming an officer with only A-levels? The Fleet Air Arm 19
T Wreath Claim - Has Boris scuppered chances of becoming PM The Gash Barge 3
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS UK Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
C Chances of passing my medical?: previous mental health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Accelerated Apprentice Selection Chances Joining the Royal Navy 2
E AA ET/ME Recruitment chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Have I messed up my chances of joining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
John the Baptist Are the chances of getting taken on as a biomedical science trainee good or sheit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Onestep Chances of comando aricrew The Fleet Air Arm 36
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
southernbhoy96 Asthma chances need advice Health & Fitness 10
A Chances Of Selection Into BRNC for Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
C Medical chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B F-35 Pilot chances? The Fleet Air Arm 18
ISeeThreeShips Better Chances Of Getting Back In If You've Previously Served? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
I Chances of Getting Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
J Selection Interview Success !!! Realistic chances of a commission ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B What the chances? RFA 4
N Realistically - what are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
O Fleet Air Arm chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Ninja_Stoker How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Chances of changing from Warfare GS to Aircrew? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P So many Newbies..Whats our chances??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
trelawney126 New Blow to Bliars chances of becomming EU President Current Affairs 15
GuyC What are my chances!? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B could acute sciatica hinder my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
B What are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L leaving it late-what are my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
MoD_RSS Action to help prevent vulnerable young people from becoming homeless MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie on becoming the Pubs Code Adjudicator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Becoming an Innovation Nation: Driving up private investment into research and development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Regulator issues guide on becoming a registered provider MoD News 0
W Advice on Becoming a Doctor and Navy Officer - MO? UPO/Careers Office 6
N Interested in becoming Royal Marine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Becoming an officer with a degree Joining the Royal Navy 1
I Interested in becoming a Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Would you be interested in becoming a Trustee and Volunteer for the Sea Cadets in your local area? Charity 1
J Becoming a doctor with the navy! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Civvie plumber thinking of becoming and engineering technician marine engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
K Direct entry aircrewman becoming a pilot? Dream or potential reality? The Fleet Air Arm 8
lethal lady Becoming a PTI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S Becoming a homeowner whilst serving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
W If ever there was a natural candidate for becoming a PTI... Diamond Lil's 16
T Becoming a RMO through the RMR The Corps 2
The G BRNC to becoming a navigational officer and gaining PWO status Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Telegraph: "Head Of Armed Forces: Military Risks Becoming 'Hollow Force'" Current Affairs 21