Chance of continuing my sport once in the Navy

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by GuyC, Jul 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and the Navy, just got my start date confirmed this morning, starting in January 2010! So happy got that sorted!

My question today is, I compete and am semi-pro sailor. I've represented GBR several times and competed in several international events.

I'm being flown out to Thailand in November to complete in Kings Cup Phuket Regatta crewing on a TP52.

Once in the Navy will I be able to continue this (deployment pending) or would I be able to represent the RN!? Or am I destined to only fair the seas under motor from now on?
    Is this something AFCO would be able to help me out with, or should I wait till I'm at Raleigh?

Thanks in advance

2. GuyC,Your going out to ferkin Thailand and all ya thinking about is sailing,ferk me sideways young man,first things first,get ya self shaged by one of those little thai nimphs and then get ratarsed on cheap grog then go sailing,as for the original question ,sorry but i dont know :lol: :D
  3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Hmmmmmm Thai, hmmmmmm. :D

Yes, there is sailing clubs.
  4. I would love to do all that, and maybe on the last night i may get chance... but I'm being paid to go out there, i'm there to work. its not a holiday its a professional competition.
  5. Love the Ostentacity [sic] of the sig :lol:

If you love sailing on the surface, how come you're going in for subs??
  6. [quote="R077]
    If you love sailing on the surface, how come you're going in for subs??[/quote]

Don't you mean 'boats'?
  7. Don't you mean 'boats'?[/quote]

I'll spare the jargy bargy til I'm actually in ;)

But yes Sir, I mean boats. Just give me your address and a list of your deepest fears and I shall deliver your pedant-hat :p :p
  8. I think the reason I'm going for subs is because i would feel wrong being on the surface not under wind power!
    My mate has got a small power boat/fishing vessel, and even then i resented being there - as it felt wrong being there under motor!
    I'm born sailor, but i live for the wind!

I'm probably crazy, but its my mentality
  9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Crazy like a fox! :roll: :roll: 8O
  10. If i could have Megan Fox i'd be happy to be crazy ALL day long! LOL
  11. I know a POMA (O) who was also a born sailor crewed for the Americas Cup whilst serving when Peter De Savry ran the team, or footed the expense. There was also a CPOMEM who did the Fastnet when they had the bad weather and many came to grief, his damage, he boasts, was a broken plate. They were both allowed to represent GB whilst in service.
  12. I was part of the chase boat for the GBR AC in 2003, didn't get to compete in the event, but helped the guys in training, was still awesome experience!

Done Commodores Cup a few times, along with Fastnet and Sydney-Hobart.

I'm not expecting to keep that level of competition once in the RN but would still like to be able to continue racing when i can.
  13. Is the Raleigh sailing and rowing centre at Jupiter Point still on the go ?.
  14. Cheers Wreck.