Celebrating 70 years of RNAS Yeovilton - 10th July 2010

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All these took off from VL many moons ago :wink: Fairey Swordfish (pilot, Rear Admiral P. D. Gick; observer, Rear Admiral H. R.
    Janvrin; telegraphist/air gunner, Lt Cdr C. Topliss).
    Wasps of 829 Sqn (Lt Cdr K. Mitchell) and 771 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. R. J. Rutherford).
    12 Wessexes of 819 Sqn (Lt Cdr P. J. Lynn), 706 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. E. Kelly), 737 Sqn
    (Lt Cdr R. Leonard) and 829 Sqn.
    Gannets of 849 Sqn (Lt Cdr W. H. Barnard) and 831 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. G. Grindle).
    12 Hunters of 738 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. W. Beard) and 759 Sqn (LtCdrA. H. Milnes).
    12 Scimitars of 803 Sqn (Lt Cdr P. G. Newman) and 736 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. Worth).
    12 Sea Vixens of 899 Sqn (Cdr D. C. Matthews), 890 Sqn (Lt Cdr R. G. M.Campbell)
    and 766 Sqn (Lt Cdr G. P. Carne).
    12 Buccaneers of 800 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. C. Mather) and 809 Sqn (Lt Cdr J. F. H. C. De Winton) For the 50th Anniversary :) :)

2. You forgot me Scouse.

I took off from VL once!!!

Only once, never returned.

3. And it looks like it will all be handed over to the army soon enough!

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It would seem that Norman had a point in his complaints about Lt Cdr's if they are being used as Telegraphist/Air Gunners

5. Neggers mate, the logistics involved and money that it would cost.....2's up on rubber stamping that with a defence review on the horizon!!

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Gash buzz, shippers... :thumbleft:

7. I bloody hope so!

8. It was a fun day, the weather was almost perfect, not as many people as expected I think, but that's down to the useless civvies that run the show!

9. sgtpepperband

Concur. And a very impressive final display by the CHF assets though. Would be interesting to learn how much money was donated by the (civilian) organisers and pitch operators towards RN/RM charities, as a sign of gratitude to all the serving personnel who gave up their time - for free - to staff the event..? :? :roll:

10. Of course Sgt P the time wasn't given up, rather it was stolen from those serving. I remember hating air days when I was in and vowed never to go to another when I left. Twenty five years later I still haven't been to either an air day or navy day. :p

11. Same here .......when the hangar doors closed, they closed, some cant let it go

12. I was in the junglie Finale, afterwards at Jesters, Brigadier Noble described his utter disgust at how much the civvie company, not sure if it's okay to mention the name so I won't, make out of the air day, yet the service personnel who do give up a day get no benefit and can't even get there families on for free, the cheapest they can get on is £17, It doesn't seem like much but it makes a big difference if the people who live and work on the base actually want to be there! I think Slim may agree.

13. sgtpepperband

JK: And not forgetting the extortionate prices for food/drink - with no dispensation or discount for serving personnel. I mean, £4.50 for a burger or plate curry?! I'm led to believe that the MoD Police negotiated free meal cards, but bugger all was sorted out for Jack, Jenny or Royal... :oops:

14. Must admit that in my day families got in FREE! :p :p
    However at the end of Air Day they then had to wait an indeterminable length of time for a lift home (many lived off bus routes and second cars in those days were a luxury) while the air station was cleared. I would willingly have returned to do that on the Sunday to get my young kids home to their beds. :twisted: