CDT-Second Hand Smoke

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by FixedRider, Jun 25, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (This is my first post so I am sorry if I've messed it up somehow)
    I am worrying about the CDT at the beginning of basic training as I am going to Amsterdam in August. I'm obviously not going to smoke there, but am worried about second hand smoke effecting my CDT results. Is it possible I'm just overthinking this all way too much?
    My start date is September 11th.
    Many thanks
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Put it this way, every warship visiting Amsterdam is pretty much guaranteed a visit by the drug testing team.

If you are keeping company with recreational drug users, whilst unlikely to test positive through genuine passive ingestion, the intelligent individual may like to consider minimising the risk to a career offering 12-20 years drug-free employment.

I've no doubt whatsoever that all those tested positive in this "news"* article either 'passively ingested' or were victims, having unwittingly consumed 'spiked drinks'. They were all completely innocent, I'm sure:

*OK, Daily Mail, not news.
  3. I'm only going with my girlfriend and neither of us are recreational users so I'm sure I'll be ok.
    Many thanks
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

The fact that there's liberal attitude to recreational drugs use in Amsterdam does not suggest for a nano-second that visitors to the region would remotely consider ingesting drugs unknowingly in sufficient quantities to test positive. Hence the reply.

5. 63 to fill a warship? That's some lean manning. SDSR 2020?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

In the article, they do admit they mean a Hunt Class MCMV :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ok, I just want to be clear on wether there will be a drug test (CDT) at the beginning of Raleigh?
    That way I'll know where to go and where not to when I go away
  8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I wonder what the chances are of a random CDT at Raleigh after 4 weeks summer leave...?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

There will be a CDT whilst you are at Raleigh.

There will be CDTs throughout your Naval career. If it was announced precisely when the CDT was, there would always be chancers unfortunately.
  10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

As has been said, you'll be tested at Raleigh and at random times during your time in the forces.

Go where you want to go, second hand smoke is a weak excuse for people caught. If you partake in smoking/snorting/injecting any substance, stop before you join. Traces will be detected in your urine depending on a lot of different factors, weight, how much you intake, length of use, etc etc.

Have a good time and enjoy yourself before you join. Once you join forget about drugs, it only ends in one way, dismissal. Apart from being a waste of time for the Navy, it makes you look like a ****.

Think carefully young Rider.
  11. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Cannabis? That's so 2013..... The drug of choice on most CDT failures now is Cocaine.

Ninja put it quite well I thought - time to grow up and stop hanging round Druggies.

Why not go 'window shopping' with your girlfriend or go to the Anne Frank Museum, which contains some of the most heart wrenching artefacts of any place I've seen in the world (including her Drum Kit).

Or there's world class Art Galleries.

You're going to one of the nicest cities in the world and you want to sit round eating space cakes and inhaling second hand smoke.

I remember back in the day, an associate of mine went to Amsters for a weekend and got the fear so bad he could not get back on the bus....:confused: