CDR JEFF J TALL

Deeps

War Hero
Just been watching salvage squad on sky .They had just rebulit a German WW2 mini-sub(Biber) . The show hosted by Suggs brings along old
Jeff Tall curator of the Submarine museum at Gosport . I know the programme is a few years old .I was just wondering is old JJ still the curator at Gosport ?

He was my skipper on the Repulse and what a top man he was . He had the nickname of ''Thumper'' because of the way he used to tap his foot when we were at action stations(torpedo) . Also when I was after trot sentry and Greenpeace tried to get on board via their RIBS , I raised the alarm and help ''repel boarders''(with the help of a casing spanner) . JJ put me on ''skippers'' table and gave me a twenty quid book token .

If anyone has any contact with him please invite him on to Rum ration and pass on my regards . No doubt he will be on TV again soon as he seems to be the medias submarine affairs correspondant .
 

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
99% certain than JJ is still the Curator. About 10 years ago, when 'informative' CD-ROMs were the Next Big Thing, I visited the Museum and later suggested that they could make a few quid by making itself one for sale in the Museum shop - at least I got a sensible written reply from the man himself - it was a bit of a non-starter at the time as it more or less couldn't be done on the cheap. It still hasn't been done, though I'm sure it would make a profit. Anyway, I made a website on my own instead.
 
Geoff_Wessex said:
99% certain than JJ is still the Curator. About 10 years ago, when 'informative' CD-ROMs were the Next Big Thing, I visited the Museum and later suggested that they could make a few quid by making itself one for sale in the Museum shop - at least I got a sensible written reply from the man himself - it was a bit of a non-starter at the time as it more or less couldn't be done on the cheap. It still hasn't been done, though I'm sure it would make a profit. Anyway, I made a website on my own instead.

Geoff

Would that be by any chance:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/chalcraft/sm/ww2sm2.html

Cut and paste to make a connection, great site for WW2 Submarine history.

Nutty xxxx
 

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
That's it! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mind you, it may disappear for while until I've got it hosted in Canada - depends how long it takes that ISP to get around to wiping me off. Will probably pay for hosting next time and have a more sensible URL, perhaps from late June.
 

spearfish

War Hero
I have a dvd from the submarine museum.It is a bit basic and old and appears in small screen format but nevertheless it contains some nice stuff.Cmdr Tall is still at the helm in Gosport.I heard that he is on a film that comes with a computer naval simulation called Dangerous Waters.The game devisers were down there recently doing a press launch for it and in the picture I saw you can see Thumper in the background!
 

Arcadain

Badgeman
Deeps said:
Also when I was after trot sentry and Greenpeace tried to get on board via their RIBS , I raised the alarm and help ''repel boarders''(with the help of a casing spanner) . .

HAHAHAHA, ROFL, lol, sorry, but I jsut couldn't help but laugh at that :lol: . Do you know why Greenpeace where trying to get on board? And how many nuts did you screw with that spanner? :lol: :twisted:
 

Deeps

War Hero
It was when Rolls Royce were working on the ''trouserleg'' dramas . Repulse was on 2 berth and Revenge was on 1 berth . They had a go
at us on Repulse first , it was at 0800 so watch change was going on , hence double the blokes on the casing . We ''repelled'' the said hippies with a few wrapped knuckles using the casing spanner as they tried to get on the missile casing . Then they fecked off and climbed on the ducks arrse of the Revenge . with a few banners. Old JJ TALL was chuffed to bits that they didnt get on Repulse , of course he had ''bragging rights '' over the skipper of the Revenge . We got on TV as well .
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
spearfish said:
I have a dvd from the submarine museum.It is a bit basic and old and appears in small screen format but nevertheless it contains some nice stuff.Cmdr Tall is still at the helm in Gosport.I heard that he is on a film that comes with a computer naval simulation called Dangerous Waters.The game devisers were down there recently doing a press launch for it and in the picture I saw you can see Thumper in the background!

Have a look here for the interview and game details. The video link is near the bottom marked Um! Video.

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/dangerous_waters/dangwater_blackbean.htm
 

sidon55

Lantern Swinger
Wasn't the German mini sub in Nelson Hall at Ganges a Biber ? There was also a 2 man torpedo. Wonder what became of them ?
 

fido

MIA
sidon55 said:
Wasn't the German mini sub in Nelson Hall at Ganges a Biber ? There was also a 2 man torpedo. Wonder what became of them ?

I remember them well in the Drill Shed at Ganges (1957). I think that they went to the Maritime Museum at Greewich.

fido
 

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
fido said:
I remember them well in the Drill Shed at Ganges (1957). I think that they went to the Maritime Museum at Greewich.

fido

Maybe, but there's one at the RN Submarine Museum - perhaps another one.
 

fido

MIA
Deeps said:
Just been watching salvage squad on sky .They had just rebulit a German WW2 mini-sub(Biber) . The show hosted by Suggs brings along old
Jeff Tall curator of the Submarine museum at Gosport . I know the programme is a few years old .I was just wondering is old JJ still the curator at Gosport ?

He was my skipper on the Repulse and what a top man he was . He had the nickname of ''Thumper'' because of the way he used to tap his foot when we were at action stations(torpedo) . Also when I was after trot sentry and Greenpeace tried to get on board via their RIBS , I raised the alarm and help ''repel boarders''(with the help of a casing spanner) . JJ put me on ''skippers'' table and gave me a twenty quid book token .

If anyone has any contact with him please invite him on to Rum ration and pass on my regards . No doubt he will be on TV again soon as he seems to be the medias submarine affairs correspondant .

Is this the same Jeff Tall I knew when I was Jimmy of Defiance circa 1990?

fido
 

Latest Threads

Top