Cdr Ian Coulton

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by asst_dep_to_dep_asst, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I apologise if this is not in the right forum, but Ian Coulton, latterly of Fort Blockhouse, died this weekend. Those who knew him will know that he had been very ill.

Ian was a member of the Medical Services Branch (Pink Mafia) and is survived by his wife Gill and 2 children, Alice and Laurence.

2. Yes, Ian was a lovely man who did things well and in a great manner.

Knew him personally, good man.

Sympathies to his wife and 2 children.

It will be a service funeral and he will be interred in the Haslar cemetery - dates to be announced soon.

God bless

3. A sad loss of a good man - he will be missed.

4. Oh no, that is so sad, I worked with Ian in my first job in the mob when he was at RNH Haslar. He was a top bloke, a real gent and a good laugh. My thoughts are with his family.

5. Just want to keep this "in view" until we know the funeral arrangements

6. Bump again for above reason.

7. I knew Ian well; a great man who will be sadly missed. RIP.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Dunno if it's relevant, but Mrs. Pepperband told me there was a gun salute in Pompey today. Was it anything to do with Cdr Coulton? I apologise if not... :?

9. I suspect not as funeral arrangements have not been confirmed yet

10. Ian you may not now be here

you have just stepped into another room ,

You will always be in my heart,until we meet again

You were the inspiration of my life, we went through so much, and Achieved alot , im the most proudest person to be your Brother,rest in peace titch ,i will miss you love you lots
    Brendan Coultonxxx

11. you and your family are in our thoughts,x

12. A name from the past to an avatar.

Brendan, I'm sure that all Ian's old colleagues and friends would join me in passing on our condolences to you and your family.

13. Ian was the best! cheerful, positive and always called a spade a spade. He was robbed of his guaranteed Captain status by his illness.WHY?? Stuck in dead end jobs at INM - least he totally shone in his last job as CO.

The world and RN have lost a great (although stubborn!) man.
    Funeral St Marys Alverstoke 1200 Tues 19th Feb.
    Gill,Laurence,Alice,Brendan (and other family)..he will never be forgotten. He epitomised what an officer should be - normal, but gained respect, trust and lifelong friends by his personality and attitude to life.
    He will be so sadly missed.

14. Nice post Doris and thank you for the funeral timings. I wonder if Ian knew just how loved and respected he was.

I'm not overly religious but I think the verse below is appropriate:

A ship sails and I stand watching till she fades on the horizon and someone at my side says
    She is gone.

Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all.
    She is just as large now as when I last saw her.
    Her diminished size and total loss from my sight is in me, not in her.

And just at that moment, when someone at my side says she is gone, there are others who are watching her coming over their horizon and other voices take up a glad shout -
    There she comes!

That is what dying is.
    An horizon and just the limit of our sight.

Lift us up O Lord, that we may see further.

15. Ian was educated at st Marys Infant School and St Marys Junior School, he was a dedicated Altar boy at St Marys Church in Leyland until he was fired ,for drinking the altar wine, He took his first holy Comunion in St Marys , and was comfirmed there , not sure if he did his first confession there , i doubt it , he would be still be saying it now

He came from a large family 8 Brothers,and 2 Sisters who all had one ambition,to be successfull,he joined the Royal Navy as a JMA2,and not only was my brother but my brother in arms during 82
    He would not look at disspiontments he would just over come them ,he was stubborn ,thats because , he wanted his family never to suffer what my family sufferred,

I am very proud of Ian Coulton, he gave is life for his Country,a Falklands Veteran, Im just very Proud Brothers in Arms

Rest in peace
    xxx

16. RIP Shipmate.
    Brendan, my father's family all came from Leyland Lane, near Earnshaw Bridge. Still have realtives in Kingsway, Lostock Hall and in Preston.

17. Justifiably proud. Learning more about him makes me honoured to have met him 9 yrs ago through the medical branch. Even when he was poorly, despite knowing the effect it would have on his career, and indeed lifespan, he just smiled and planned ahead, as always caring about others before himself.
    I do hope you, and all the family are bearing up at this awful time.I know myself and colleagues will be there on the 19th to bear homage to the memory of your dear b xrother

18. Thanks Dodo its much appriciated

19. I had the very great pleasure to work for the good Commander last year and it was probably the best time I've had in the Mob; lots of good memories. A tragic loss for his family (my sincere condolences to you all) and a real loss for anyone who knew him.

20. its confirmed the funeral will be at st mary Alverstoke at 1200 19 febuary