CCF cadet hearing injury claim - who is responsible?

MightyWhitey123

Midshipman
I was a CCF cadet and had a provable injury pre 2005 on board a RN ship at sea - permanent loss of hearing in the left ear, ( NIHL - noise induced hearing loss ) due to a fog horn blast. I'd just turned 15 years old.

Who handles this in terms of eligibility for compensation, as a cadet, and is this covered by the WPS if the authority and care is provided by the RAN

Salty-Dog

War Hero
According to:
and
You have to have served in the Armed Forces.
You mention the R A N, as this is an Unofficial Royal Navy site, not sure if anyone can help.
Have you tried the CCF unit?
Edited to add not sure if @vauxhall can help ?

MightyWhitey123

Midshipman
According to:
and
You have to have served in the Armed Forces.
You mention the R A N, as this is an Unofficial Royal Navy site, not sure if anyone can help.
Have you tried the CCF unit?
Edited to add not sure if @vauxhall can help ?

Yeah re RAN, my mistake as I'm in Australia now i got mixed up. Should have been RN.

It looks like CCF insurance came into place. I guess the RN had to cover a grey area of liability for themselves

I've sent a message to the school / CCF unit, but i expect they'll deflect my enquiry and to be honest I'm confused.

As you say, I suspect this does not cover it:

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
CCF?
Would not initial liability lie with the school? I'd suggest that you start with the Head Master/Mistress. Let the school Governors then fob it off to the RN in due course.

MightyWhitey123

Midshipman
CCF?
Would not initial liability lie with the school? I'd suggest that you start with the Head Master/Mistress. Let the school Governors then fob it off to the RN in due course.
Yeah, i don't know. The accident was on RN property under RN's supervision, so i guess it was RN's responsibility.

I have contacted the school, but expect them to deflect it to the RN.

I also suspect that CCF insurance is designed for activity under school's responsibility, but that wouldn't absolve the RN from theirs. Just my view.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
CCF is a school activity, the primary duty of care remains with them.
If the responsibility can be sloped to the RN, then that's for the school to sort, IMHO.

huwshpis

War Hero
Different limitation period and the court exercising a discretion to allow claims out of time. Also, doesn’t apply to criminal cases.

huwshpis

War Hero
If the action has only been begun now, it is likely to be out of time - usually, a claimant has six years in which to begin legal action (from when the injury became apparent). There is some discretion on the court's part, but you would be advised to take legal advice.

For the record, this is not legal advice.
In England and Wales, the limitation period is 3 years from when the victim became aware that he or she had a cause of action. Where the victim is under 18, the 3 years start running from the 18th birthday. That is legal advice (I’m a practising barrister).

slim

War Hero
In England and Wales, the limitation period is 3 years from when the victim became aware that he or she had a cause of action. Where the victim is under 18, the 3 years start running from the 18th birthday. That is legal advice (I’m a practising barrister).
And he makes the bestest coffee you will ever taste :)

Latest Threads