CBFSAI Becomes a Lodger.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Passed-over_Loggie, Mar 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/29/falkland-islands-argentina-waters-rules-un-commission

"The UN commission on the limits of the continental shelf sided with Argentina, ratifying the country’s 2009 report fixing the limit of its territory at 200 to 350 miles from its coast".

It's always good to see what a joined-up Organisation the UN is and the value of being a Permanent Member of the UN Security Council. My puzzlement is what our FO "professionals" have been doing through all this.

2. Carving up chunks of the world can be interesting. From the dark recesses of my mind, a school memory surfaces to explain how Brazil came into being. When Spain and Portugal were doing their big land-grabs, the Church decided to keep the fight clean by decreeing that Spain could have the land to the west of a line down the middle of the Atlantic, whilst Portugal could have that to the east. Unfortunately, the Church cartographers failed to notice that a big bit of South America stuck out rather a long way to the right.........and Portugal was quick to spot the opportunity.

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Probably banging their heads in despair. The FCO have a very active programme of lobbying on the FI dispute and a lot goes on to support the UK position, but sadly some nations seem more determined to bang the colonial dispute drum and side with the poor opressed nation than take logic and reason into account.

4. As part of my job I do a lot of UNCLOS surveys determining the limits of a sovereign nations continental shelf, main purpose is to see how far out they can drill for oil. From all the work I have done it would appear that Argentina and the Falklands share a continental shelf and as they are both sovereign territories then it should come to a 50/50 split, just like UK/Norway. The whole UN decision appears to be political and not geological which is what UNCLOS should be.

5. The only reason that Argentina would want to extend their sovereignty on the continental shelf is to get at the oil reserves which are supposedly there for the taking. If it was found that the forecast oil wasn't there in sufficient quantity the islanders and their sheep would be safe.

6. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Argentine sabre-rattling over oil prospects has meant that the only companies that have gone drilling for oil plays have been those with no Argentine business bridges to burn like Premier and Rockhopper.

The sector is in the doldrums right now but when the oil price picks up they'll be laughing, and so will we because despite our pretty depleted military state we're well-resourced compared to the Argentine military. For all the sound and fury that the Malvinas generates over there, I don't think they have the will to try another head-on military challenge.

I'm mildly put out at the UN's decision, but in cases like this, they are a worthless, powerless talking shop. They can ratify away to their heart's content but it means, basically, hee haw.

7. On the "G" spot site there is a map which explains the new area. It is well North of the Falklands. Maybe the argies have jumped the gun?