Cause of death

Curly

When introducing myself I sometimes like to say “My mother was a Dolphin†… it causes some odd reactions! It is true – Her father was Chief Cook W. Dolphin, and his father, my great grandfather, was Leading Stoker J. Dolphin.

My great grandfather served in the survey vessel HMS Sylvia on the China Station during 1874-1880. On the voyage back to Chatham to pay off and refit, Sylvia anchored in Simons Bay, South Africa. An entry in the deck log reads – “Wednesday 11 August 1880. At Anchor, Simons Bay, S.Africa. p.m. Discharged J.Dolphin, Lead. Stoker, to Hospital†– A day or so later the ship sailed, leaving J. Dolphin, where he died in hospital.Presumably this would have been the R.N.Hospital.

With the very kind assistance of the lady curator of Simonstown Museum, We have located and have photographs of his grave. He shares a grave and Headstone with a “Kroomanâ€. But we have not been able to find out his cause of death. The hospital records could not be found in the archives in London.

I remember as a very young child , sitting on my grandfathers knee while he told me stories of the exploits of his father. One story ended with J. Dolphin being injured in a fall from aloft – but would a Leading Stoker be required to go aloft? Another story was that the ship’s steam pinnace was inshore overnight and J.Dolphin drew the short straw and was the boat keeper while the rest of the boat crew went ashore. Some thieves boarded the pinnace and there was a fight. J.D. killed one with a blow with a heavy spanner and the others fled but leaving J.D. with unspecified injuries. Either of these two incidents might have resulted in his death at some future date, or of course he could have died of one of the fevers – malaria or worse. The stories may have been just fiction to entertain a young child!

I would be grateful if anyone could help us to find his cause of death

Robert

I think there are sites that record all personel pre world war 1, both ratings and commissioned, maybe one of the OTHER RR MEMBERS could shed more light .

Curly

Thanks RuggerBob. I have checked the records I could locate in the archives. They are marked DD (Discharged Dead). I was hoping someone might know if the RNHospital Simonstown records still exist somewhere.

Robert

Sorry Curly, (Or should it be short n curly) :D

I wish I could help you further, really not sure, hopefully on of the ex or serving medic type bod's, could poss point you in the right direction.

RB

Curly

Onions - the archives in Haslar sounds interesting. I'll have a try there. Do you happen to have a link?

Robert

onions

GCM
Curly, I have phoned Haslar and apparently they have no records going back that far. I also phone the RN Museum and blanked there. All I can offer now is The Public Records Office at Kew.

Keep Striving.

Curly

Onions - Thanks a lot for your help. I tried Google and Ask, and came up with all sorts of interesting stuff that I might take a look at, but nothing on records.

As you say, another try at Kew is is needed. It is some time since I last tried and the catalogue has probably expanded since then.

And I'll try again with the S.A.N. Museum.

Thanks again - Robert

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Cause for optimism on the future of British Steel MoD News 0
MG Maniac Cause for Concern Diamond Lil's 1
MaiBelle Off to Ghana...cause it's not hot enough here! Travel & The Great Outdoors 34
P Flat feet causing tight hamstrings, could this cause problems with my medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N At what point does a low BMI start to cause problems? Health & Fitness 8
soleil Navy News: "Men Of 45 Commando See 'Real Cause For Optimism' In Helmand" The Corps 0
soleil Guardian H4H A Worthy Cause But Spare Us The Moral Blackmail Current Affairs 3
Hitback One Common Cause Campaign Current Affairs 32
soleil Workmen cause £2,000,000 of damage to Faslane Submariners 6
O can you locate this trophy...for a good cause cheers History 0
Spartan RM tattoo - will it cause me any problems The Corps 60
steamy_stokes had to join cause wify already on here Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Possibly the real cause of the Iraq War... Current Affairs 10
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence confirms the death of Fusilier Sam Brownridge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement on the death of President Nkurunziza of Burundi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Daily death reporting now includes all positive COVID-19 deaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guarantee on death in service benefits for frontline health and care staff during pandemic MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence confirms the death of Lance Corporal Brodie Gillon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces first death of patient with COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence confirms the death of Private Joseph Berry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry launched into the death of Jermaine Baker MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM travels to Oman following the death of Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK flags to fly at half mast for the death of Sultan Qaboos of Oman MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement on the death of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said, Sultan of Oman MoD News 0
E Death of a Merchant Seaman: Leonard Gould Shannon History 3
MoD_RSS UK Government statement on death of Daesh’s leader MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42 - General Comment on the Question of the Death Penalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO statement following the death of Robert Mugabe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe & Americas statement on the death of the Ambassador of the Republic of Armenia to the United Kingdom MoD News 0
vauxhall Death in Service Benefits Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ministry of Defence confirms the death of Guardsman Mathew Talbot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Oral statement on the death of Lyra McKee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Man who stabbed acquaintance to death has sentence reviewed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Escaping the jaws of death: ensuring enough water in 2050 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Death by dangerous driving sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Otter death sparks appeal - report illegal fishing to protect wildlife MoD News 0
S Life insurance (death in service) Finance & Pensions 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary statement on the death of President George H W Bush MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK response to Saudi Arabia announcement of charges following the death of Jamal Khashoggi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of courageous World War 2 pilot has been rededicated 77 years after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of D-Day army medic rededicated 74 years after his death MoD News 0
E Loris Karius: Death threats to Liverpool goalkeeper looked into by police Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS News story: An unknown British World War 1 sailor's grave identified and rededicated a centrury after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fatality notice: MOD confirms the death of Corporal Steven Wainwright MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD confirms death of Lance Corporal George Partridge MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD confirms the death of Corporal Jonathan Bayliss, Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World war one Durham light infantry soldier finally given military burial a century after his death MoD News 0
A Masters death in service Finance & Pensions 16
MoD_RSS News story: WW2 fusilier's grave rededicated 74 years after his death MoD News 0
fishhead Jewish Death Notice Land Ops 0