Cash to tackle student drop-outs

slim

War Hero
Yes I know this will start another English/Scottish fracas but, who is supplying the extra funding? The Scottish universities are already undercutting the English Universities on tuition fees so why do they have high drop,out rates?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6477827.stm

Time for all British Universities to be put on an equal footing.

It's probably being funded by the Scottish Parliament.

No doubt Maxi will suggest that the English will be to blame for allowing it to happen and, to be honest, I can see his point!

Perhaps we should be asking why English Unis aren't doing this (and NHS prescriptions etc) rather than asking why Scottish institutions are?

In other words, start giving our MPs a good kicking - however, until we get rid of our "dyed in the wool" Labour/Tory supporter mentality and start looking at what individual MPs stand for, the system will never change.

I think to answer TDs question, "why aren't English Unis doing this?", I think the answer is quite simple.

We, the English tax payer, are subsidising the Scots so of course they can under cut us - we give them the bloody money to do it. If we kept it and ploughed it into our own (English) resources and let them have the devolvement they seek (therefore devolve the budgeting to them also) we would probably be a lot better off this side of the border.

moondog

War Hero
Anyone calls me a FRISP
You will hear from my Lawyers.

I was called that all my career ! (And proud of it)

Got to be a few bob in it for mental trauma !! and compensation.

F169

War Hero
A. What is a FRISP?

B. Slim, something else is that I think Scottish courses are 4 years long not like the thre in England and therefore they are getting free tuition fees for 4/3 mor time than the English pay them............

slim

War Hero
F169 said:
A. What is a FRISP?

B. Slim, something else is that I think Scottish courses are 4 years long not like the thre in England and therefore they are getting free tuition fees for 4/3 mor time than the English pay them............

A FRISP is F***ing Right IGnorant Scottish Pig.

A Scots mate of mine used to use it to describe himself all the time. Along with a Glaswegian expression Chuktah (peasant).

It seems that our government in its wisdom have given the Scots and Welsh a large pot of cash to use as they wish. What have they given to the English?
Congestion charges in London & Durham.

slim

War Hero
janner said:
slim said:
Congestion charges in London & Durham.

Are you sure about that Slim, wouldn't have thought enough people would have wanted to go the Durham to make it pay :shock:

The congestion charges are only in the city centre, and I believe only a certain area.
Durham great place lots of history, great architecture. I was born in teh county but now live in Berkshire. (wouldn't go back though)

dunkers

War Hero
Wheel-spanner said:
Indeed. The sooner Scotland gets independance, the better for all it would seem.

Or how about the opposite, abolish the Scottish Parliament and all "regional" governments in favour of a single UK government. Far cheaper & more rational.

Not at all Dunkers. Were always hearing the English moan that the Scots are a complete dead leg to them, so fine, lets have complete independance. A total severing of ties. Border controls, the lot.

That way, the English get what they want. As do the growing majority up here who are getting awfully sick of being labelled 'subsidy junkies' based on frankly skewed figures.

So lets have it. That way we all get what we want.

Deal?