Carve up of UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hobbit, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The International Express newspaper, not available in UK, reports on a carve up of the Old Country with new borders to fit in with various parts of Europe. It appears there is no consideration of the people or elected government and it's all happening without a murmer from the population it seems. This is not even stealth from what I read, simply bulldozing without any consultation. I just cannot believe the people are letting this take place although, bearing in mind some of the doubtful quality of reporting, is it true?

:roll:

2. Hobbs it was in one newspaper last week and another this week. An area that takes in Kent, Sussex,Berks and part of Hampshire, and of course some of northern France, becomes the Trans Manche Region, they even have a Frenchman as its governor! I must have been asleep that day, cos I can't remember voting for that...........................
    Come to think of it, I can't remember voting for the East of England Regional Assembly based at Cambridge either.
    Unless people wake up and lose their tribal beliefs in one or other of the two main parties, England is a gonna.
    We have been betrayed by a succesion of snout in the trough politicians.
    RoofRat

I'm surprised this thread hasn't provoked more responses 11:45 :cry:

3. In the North-East, you may remember that there was a referendum on whether to have an "Elected North-East Assembly". This propoosition was turned down flat!

It still didn't stop them from forming an unelected North-East Assembly, which is yet another tier of local governing body, answerable only to Bliar and the Crazy Bunch!

OSD

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I think you'll find that there was already an unelected regional assembly - if you do a quick Google search you'll find that England already has unelected regional assemblies that take are being integrated into the existing local government processes. The following text is taken from the East Midland Assembly web site - I imagine the other seven regions have similar statements and objectives.

The East Midlands Regional Assembly is one of eight established in England (outside London). It is responsible for scrutinisng the development and delivery, by the region's economic development agency (emda) of a successful economic strategy for the East Midlands.

As the regional planning body, the Assembly advises the Government on strategic land use planning and transport issues and has responsibility for the preparation and review of regional planning guidance, taking into account the views of local authorities, organisations and residents.

The East Midlands Regional Assembly makes a determined effort to ensure the full and active participation of representatives of all the region's citizens, especially those often under-represented in public life, including women, ethnic minorities, young people and disabled people.

It plays a leading role in ensuring that the East Midlands is positively engaged with the European Union, building mutually beneficial relations with the bodies and regions of the EU and ensuring maximum benefit for the economy, environment and social fabric of the East Midlands.

5. Sez it all does'nt it Flags ? :cry:

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Sadly yes - this is one of the rmany easons I'm now posting from this side of the pond rather than yours. :(

7. Flags, you know the sad thing is, nobody seems to care :?

8. This absolutely amazes me with what I know of the bulldog spirit, great country, great people. Where and how will it end?

:cry:

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I was going to answer but I couldn't be bothered :)

My thoughts are that the UK political system is in terminal decline; a large proportion of the population has become disconnected from "our lords and masters" in Westminster - there's so many obvious iniquities in society and the only time the pollies recognise these are at election time when empty promises are made for votes. What I'd like to see is the demise of the career politician and the return of the "conviction politician" (and I don't mean Jeffery Archer or Jonathan Aitken!), someone who wants to enter parliament for the betterment of society rather than their own personal ego-stroking power-trip. What I'd really like to see is a large proportion of independent non-partisan MPs elected, but realistically, I don't think this will ever happen - too many people in the UK are died-in-the-wool party electors who would never consider voting otherwise :(

I think "poodle spirit" is perhaps more appropriate today, with Teflon Tony being "Bush's poodle" and also the influence from our Gallic masters.