Carter: Bush 'worst president ever'

Jimmy Carter, the former US president, has called George Bush's presidency as "the worst in history" while also condemning Tony Blair, the out-going British prime minister, for his close support for Bush's policies.

Carter's comments made in a series of interviews with US and international media which appeared on Saturday.

"I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history," Carter told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story that appeared in the newspaper's Saturday editions.

"The overt reversal of America's basic values as expressed by previous administrations, including those of George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon and others, has been the most disturbing to me."

He also said that Bush has taken a "radical departure from all previous administration policies" with the Iraq war.
"We now have endorsed the concept of pre-emptive war where we go to war with another nation militarily, even though our own security is not directly threatened, if we want to change the regime there or if we fear that some time in the future our security might be endangered."

Blair blasted

In a separate interview the BBC, the British state broadcasting service, Carter also criticised Blair, the British prime minister.

Asked how he would judge Blair's support of Bush, the former president said: "Abominable. Loyal. Blind. Apparently subservient."

"And I think the almost undeviating support by Great Britain for the ill-advised policies of President Bush in Iraq have been a major tragedy for the world."

Carter was speaking to publicise his new audiobook series, Sunday Mornings in Plains, a collection of weekly Bible lessons from his Georgia hometown.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/83158325-ED20-44D1-AFF8-B4F0CE376F3D.htm

I expect the usual, "Carter was crap" statements from the GOP clones here , but is there anything in 'Bomber King' Carter's quoted remarks that is actually wrong?

Bush's popularity usually ranks as the lowest in US history...

That said, i hardly think Carter has anything to talk about, having let the Columbians murder DEA agents at will with no recourse and a bunch of Arabs taunt and make a mockery of the US for over a year with only 1 rescue attempt even planned. Should have just written them off and turned Iran into a parking lot.

Jarhead said:
Bush's popularity usually ranks as the lowest in US history...

That said, i hardly think Carter has anything to talk about, having let the Columbians murder DEA agents at will with no recourse and a bunch of Arabs taunt and make a mockery of the US for over a year with only 1 rescue attempt even planned. Should have just written them off and turned Iran into a parking lot.[/quote
]

Whoa Jarhead....those weren't Arabs they were Iranians and they were pissed at you guys for giving Saddam Hussein [remember him] chemical and biological weapons and tageting information. The Iranians lost a million people to Saddam Hussein's unprovoked but US instigated attack.

Blowback is a bitch but payback really hurts :lol: :lol:

The Iranians manipulated Carter out of office remember??

RM

issue isn't about why it happened, it was that carter failed to realize diplomacy was not going to work to get our people back.

Jarhead, he tried, it failed spectacularly. The appetite for another go at it was lost, diplomacy resumed.

He did try. At least he didn't launch an operation against a foreign power under the flimsiest of false pretences

that is very true ptpongo.

Bush consistently has the lowest approval rating of any US president ever, including the south's approval rating of Lincoln (there were comparisons to Satan made of him by southern politicians btw) before the civil war.

Jarhead said:
that is very true ptpongo.

Bush consistently has the lowest approval rating of any US president ever, including the south's approval rating of Lincoln (there were comparisons to Satan made of him by southern politicians btw) before the civil war.
Diplomacy did work in the freeing of the US hostages. After 444 days they were released just minutes after Ronaldus Maximus was inaugurated. The problem with the diplomacy was that Iran [in it's inimicable way] used it entirely to Iran's own advantage.

Back to Bush; we will not know whether Bush will be judged as one of the worst presidents in US history until he is out of office and some disinfecting sunlight has been shone on the dark recesses of what he and his cronies have been up to. Certainly his approval ratings are the lowest ever seen for a US president and the harm that he has done to the United States in general and the GOP in particular is spectacular.

RM