Carriers

Myself and an Ex Chief of 22 years were having a chat today on the way home from work and we swopped a few dits but then he threw me a question which we dont know the answer to.

F stands for Frigate, D for Destroyer etc etc but what does the R on a Carrier stand for ???

I think it's something to do with the initials already being 'used up' for want of a better word. 'A' is, I believe, Auxiliary so therefore could not be used for carriers, but how it's got as far as R I do not know.

No doubt a history boffin will turn up - though if he or she does I'd still like an answer to my question about the naming of ships during the Commonwealth!

Guzzler said:
I think it's something to do with the initials already being 'used up' for want of a better word. 'A' is, I believe, Auxiliary so therefore could not be used for carriers, but how it's got as far as R I do not know.

No doubt a history boffin will turn up - though if he or she does I'd still like an answer to my question about the naming of ships during the Commonwealth!
I'm no history boffin but I agree with your answer. In fact, as soon a I read the quesiton I was ready to post the answer, but you beat me to it.

:money: :w00t:

Could the letter R on carrier codes be a throwback from airship days?, eg. R101 etc, I do believe the R on airships denoted "rigid" but then a carrier is pretty rigid, even more so than an airship.

RNFLUNKY

Lantern Swinger
Reconacence. That what i was told a few years back. I was talking to the Snr E the other night and i mentioned above. He never battered an eye lid, so i take it it maybe right. Then again i was on flat tops for over ten years.

seafarer1939 said:
I served on MTB's and the no. began with a P! never could figure that out unless it was for Patrol.
crickey not the dreaded Droxford :rambo: :rambo: ST Vincent sea training boat !!!! was it P1127 ??? :pukel: :thumright:

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
The_Jimmy said:
My two bobs worth

I reckon it was R from carrieR as they couldnt use C as it was for Crusier....
Closest to what I was told years ago...

CARRIER..

C=Cruiser
A=Auxiliary
R=Carrier
R
I
E
R

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I seem to remember from above 40 years ago (perhaps while swanning round Norway and the North Atlantic in STANAVFORLANT) a NATO publication listing all the pendant numbers of NATO warships. This could imply some post-war rationalisation of the index letters.

Incidentally Triumph retained her R number as Cadet Training Carrier but lost it for an A when she became a Heavy Repair Ship.

Served C57, D57, C20, M1130, M1123, D16, F15 and others I can't remember the numbers of as I haven't any photos, including two weeks in a naval-manned tug which was A something.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mechanicnog The Fleet Air Arm 100
chockhead819 The Fleet Air Arm 33
ronalder The Fleet Air Arm 17