Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Nicks, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Myself and an Ex Chief of 22 years were having a chat today on the way home from work and we swopped a few dits but then he threw me a question which we dont know the answer to.

F stands for Frigate, D for Destroyer etc etc but what does the R on a Carrier stand for ???
  2. I think it's something to do with the initials already being 'used up' for want of a better word. 'A' is, I believe, Auxiliary so therefore could not be used for carriers, but how it's got as far as R I do not know.

No doubt a history boffin will turn up - though if he or she does I'd still like an answer to my question about the naming of ships during the Commonwealth!
  3. I'm no history boffin but I agree with your answer. In fact, as soon a I read the quesiton I was ready to post the answer, but you beat me to it.

:money: :w00t:
  4. Could the letter R on carrier codes be a throwback from airship days?, eg. R101 etc, I do believe the R on airships denoted "rigid" but then a carrier is pretty rigid, even more so than an airship.
  5. My two bobs worth

I reckon it was R from carrieR as they couldnt use C as it was for Crusier....
  6. R stands for Runway. Got that from the harbour tour at Portsmouth a few years Back.

7. How come the new Ark changed her pennant number from RO9 to RO7 ??? :thumright:
  8. Cos they are different ships Opportune changed from G80 to S20. No doubt many others out there no doubt.

9. According to a WAFU apparently it is due to the fact that; "A" was already taken for Auxiliaries, "I" could be confused with "1", whilst "R" was not taken and fairly clear.
  10. I served on MTB's and the no. began with a P! never could figure that out unless it was for Patrol.
  11. Reconacence. That what i was told a few years back. I was talking to the Snr E the other night and i mentioned above. He never battered an eye lid, so i take it it maybe right. Then again i was on flat tops for over ten years.
  12. crickey not the dreaded Droxford :rambo: :rambo: ST Vincent sea training boat !!!! was it P1127 ??? :pukel: :thumright:
  13. Closest to what I was told years ago...

14. Not likely it was: P1012 HMS Brave Swordsman and what a ride she was! fastest warship in the world at that time.
    Still don't know why it wasn't MGB1012 though.
  15. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I seem to remember from above 40 years ago (perhaps while swanning round Norway and the North Atlantic in STANAVFORLANT) a NATO publication listing all the pendant numbers of NATO warships. This could imply some post-war rationalisation of the index letters.

Incidentally Triumph retained her R number as Cadet Training Carrier but lost it for an A when she became a Heavy Repair Ship.

Served C57, D57, C20, M1130, M1123, D16, F15 and others I can't remember the numbers of as I haven't any photos, including two weeks in a naval-manned tug which was A something.