Carriers win F35 RAF Battle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Paddingtonbear, Nov 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And when the next Defence Secretary gets in it will all change again. Not holding my breath!

2. Well thats that then.

Why do i see a fly banging into a window, banging into a window, banging into a window ? But it is using its full weight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. One thing for sure, the Crabs will continue to kick and scream against any notion of FJ and their aircrews (FAA or RAF) going to sea for a standard shakedown and work-up followed by a 6-8 month deployment in actual and potential hotspots around the world instead of sitting cosily at some airbase in the UK waiting for the next Battle of Britain to start. It tends to show them up too much. ;-P

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I dislike crabs, but NG, you really seem to hate them!

5. Not all of them. Just those who seem determined to denigrate the FAA and prevent our ships ever re-acquiring organic air cover wherever in the world it may be required despite being unable to provide it themselves (let alone acknowledge their inability to provide it).

• Like Like x 7
  6. I detest the RAF as an organisation, purely because they have systematically and selfishly enhanced their role at the cost of our nation's ability to project influence in the form of a carrier group. The extremely talented lobbying of the RAF has reduced this nation's military ability to meet the dangers of an uncertain future and emerging threats. When sole nuclear deterrent of this nation went to the RN the writing should've been on the wall for the RAF as a separate entity, but amazingly we find ourselves at this predicament. Surely the Admiralty and Land Command also have to take a portion of blame for this, as the Crabs certainly stole a march on them. The madness is that the RAF probably lost its most important asset to national defence in SDSR, independent and world leading MPA.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Agreed. Self-serving whinging between the various services, supposedly intelligent, reasoned, considered or otherwise, by suggesting the nation's Armed Forces "don't need" ....[insert single service asset here]... completely undermines the overall capability.

The RAF withdrew the Harrier rather than the Tornado from a frontline operational role in Afghanistan for no other reason than to remove RN fixed wing currency. They continue attempting to scupper the carriers by suggesting air ops in Libya were a doddle conducted from Italy. A brief Google of what the Libyans make of the RAF "successes" in their country makes for eye-watering reading.

8. Whitehall = divide + rule

Get the RN in-fighting with the RAF, and we can get cuts through all over.

9. \

Angry Mac:

"I detest the RAF as an organisation, purely because they have systematically and selfishly enhanced their role at the cost of our nation's ability to project influence in the form of a carrier group. The extremely talented lobbying of the RAF has reduced this nation's military ability to meet the dangers of an uncertain future and emerging threats. When sole nuclear deterrent of this nation went to the RN the writing should've been on the wall for the RAF as a separate entity, but amazingly we find ourselves at this predicament. Surely the Admiralty and Land Command also have to take a portion of blame for this, as the Crabs certainly stole a march on them. The madness is that the RAF probably lost its most important asset to national defence in SDSR, independent and world leading MPA."

Shipmates you have hit the nail on it's proverbial head! Not all of them are bad, ignorant of the truth maybe, but what they achieved in the SDSR was not good for defence, but very good for the Crabs. Sometimes you can't help but admire their own self belief in what they do? But if the crabs were as good as THEY and the Joe Public believe them to be, (at being an Air Force), we would never have had the HCR! As I say, individually some of them aren't bad, but put them together...

10. Whoops forgot to add onto the end and thus keep it relevant; so although it's good to hear SofS say such a thing, the battle is far from over, and I hope that this time with an incoming Woo as replacement for for current 1SL, we may keep in the fight for longer and ensure that this statement remains policy, as a minimum, until such time as the point has been proven. The crabs won't/don't like idea and will try to counter it with every conceivable wpn in their armoury.

Oh look, apparently RAF typhoons are deploying to the ME, using HNS, potentially as a response to Iranian sabre rattling. Except, they do this 'deployment' regularly, something that hasn't been picked up on by, or briefed to, the journos, (it's called the ATLC and has been going on for years). Ding-ding seconds out, round one....

11. Served in Eagle during the Beira patrols in the 60's, all the credit went to the crabs including piccies in papers showing RN aircraft and aircrew captioned as crabs. Bit much to swallow even then , but not a lot changes.

12. Just reading "Lions Donkeys and Dinosaurs", Chapter 6 which was written in 2004 again hits the nail on the head. Again in fighting leads to a poorer service all round.