Carriers in Portsmouth

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Roco, Aug 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First thing, it looks (on google earth, 50°48'30.99"N 1° 5'46.22"W) as if the RN are trying to do away with the FAA altogether, fitting the first of many props directly to the deck of their ships to provide sea/air capability. :wink:

Second thing, I'm guessing the only way into the dock is through one of the dry docks? If so it looks like a very tight squeeze for the carriers/RFA etc. How much work will need to be done there to accomodate the CVF?
  2. You have to remember that you are viewing the ships from above, i.e. you are looking at the fattest part.

The width of the ship at the waterline, i.e. where it is going to pass through the gate / drydock etc. is a lot thinner.

Edited to add: The props you see on Google Earth are the new UAV helicopters. They are usually piloted by members of the STC branch. This phot was obviously taken during the trials and development stage a while back. The reason for their strange shape is to provide added stability for aerial photography and weapon deployment.
  3. Roger on both counts!