Carrier skippers?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by oberon, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been reading up on the US Navy recently and was surprised to find out that the CO of their carriers MUST be a aviator - it is in fact Federal law and has been since the 1930s. Do we have such rules?
  2. Simple answer is 'No'. Capt (now Cdre) Chick was CO of ILLUSTRIOUS from 07 to early 09 and was not an aviator.
  3. You always have seaman captain .Then commander air or something like that the wafu,s will tell you better :D
  4. I know the current Commander Air on the Ocean is a Observer however he was my Skipper (and a good one) on my last ship before I left the mob (It wasn't a carrier though)
  5. The skipper of my old Carrier, Hms Victorious, was a very very Famous submariner :D :D Vice-Admiral Sir Ian McIntosh KBE, CB, DSO, DSC
  6. The skipper of the old Bulwark was a Wafu when I was on it in '74-'77. Capt Johnston IIRC
  7. And if you remember Scouse, Capt Davenport was the skipper before him, McIntosh relieved him in Honky fid 65-67. As one of the ships rover drivers i found davenport a gent.
  8. Found this on the Vic Web page Fred :wink: Robert Davenport Herefordshire My father served on Victorious 1964-66 and I guess some of you may remember him as your skipper - happy memories I trust : )

Pa died in 1990, but I know he would be delighted to know that your association is in rude health, and that he would support it with his characteristic enthusiasm if he was still with us.

I have an album of good quality b/w pictures from his time on the ship, plus a video copy of the Panorama report by Robin Day on the Malaysia crisis that includes a piece on Victorious. If you can email me some contact details I will get the pics scanned to CD and the video copied to DVD and post them off to you for editing and inclusion on the website if you wish.

Great site - best of luck with your activities.
  9. Was Capt Ray Lygo an aviator? Ark Royal
  10. :wink: :wink: front man in pic
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Read all about it: 'Collision Course' by Admiral Sir Raymond Lygo, Lewes : Book Guild, 2001.
  12. I was only wondering as I was the bosuns mate on the bridge when he tried to land the Ark on the Kotlin class ( at least I think it was a Kotlin class (open to correction) :roll:
  13. Correct the press called it sad Sam at the time :cry: ( as in Sam Kotlin) Think Gilbert and Sullivan were script writers at your inquiry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: