Carrier Roles and General Questions?

Hi there I'm 17 and leaving college soon and was looking into a career in the Navy or Army. I had briefly spoken to a navy recruiter (one came to my college and I had a 2 minute chat) and he said I could go in as an officer. I decided I want to try and go for a pilot, I like the idea of flying a plane or helicopter, but if that doesn't work I would still like to work with planes or helicopters. My main question is that in the American navy they have on the deck all those people with different coloured shirts, will the royal navy be doing that and if so where or how do I apply for a job on the aircraft carrier deck? Also a few follow up questions, I'm allergic to penicillin can I still join? I'm 6ft 4 will I be to tall for the corridors on the boats as I don't want to have to hunch all the time? Do you get to travel a lot in the navy or do you just stay on the boat? Finally what are the officers rooms like compared to a ratings room on a boat. Thank you for any help and have a good day.
Hi could someone answere my question about beig penicillin and I can not seem to find the information on their website?

Last edited:
Serious answer, all woo's will work on a flight deck and, yes, they all wear pretty coloured jackets.

Try googling Fleet Air Arm and go to images.

@LateToTheParty I don't know what a wafu is? Are you calling me arrogant good for nothing or wafu's arrogant good for nothing?
Not you personally, WAFU is a nickname for members of the fleet air arm.

There’s no carrier specific roles, you have to just join and hope that you get a CVT draft after you finish phase 2 for the role you apply for. If you want to work on the flight deck you’ll probably want to look at aircraft handler.

My eldest son was an AET ( he's got a good job with Flybe Engineering now thanks to the RN's training) and spent most of his time on the flightdeck when he was afloat. Unless you go SE or Phot, the flightdeck is your home.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Naval Airmen (NA) is the branch that will enable the flight deck fire crews, aircraft movers, fuelers etc. ET(AE) is the branch for Air Engineering.

That should make accessing the website easier.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I hope the only reason you want to be a Wafu isn't for the coloured surcoat.
I can see the CAs face with an answer like that as to why you want to join and the FAA in particular.

Hi there I'm 17 and leaving college soon and was looking into a career in the Navy or Army. I had briefly spoken to a navy recruiter (one came to my college and I had a 2 minute chat) and he said I could go in as an officer. I decided I want to try and go for a pilot
What are you likely to have in the way of qualifications when you leave college?

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
@Lord Thotslayer Sounds like you want to go AET as they look after the aircraft on deck and fix them when the pilots break them.
Aircraft handlers push the aircraft around the deck and wave at them for take off and landing (larger ships only as on frigates and destroyers it could be any trade, reggy, steward etc)

You do get flight deck officers but they are promoted from the ranks so yo cannot join as an FDO

Last edited: