Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrier Queens, how pathetic

scouse

War Hero
YouAreHavingALaugh said:
The initial point of my post was not that they had only been away for 6 weeks.

The point being made was;

Yes it is only six weeks so WHY do they want a flypast, 6 months fair enough.

It fits in with the we are a through deck cruiser and we are very special.

I and many others have encountered ex carrier ratings joining a FF or DD and then finding out what the real navy is really like without lots of manpower and stores.

I also know many that have joined carriers after many years of FF/DD and found out how easy it is on one.

I could go on and on.

But, carrier queens. Ha Ha they do not know what the real navy is.[/quote :thanks: :pukel: Carrier Queens in the 60/70s had daily flypasts of some 50 aircraft :thumright: It was called "Hands to Flying Stations" :w00t: :thumright:

Nostrinian

Badgeman
Plenty of good old internet banter on here.Ive been on plenty of six and seven monthers on CVS and LPH and a 7 monther on FIPV and your right they are all diffrent, totally. Still think of them all the daily grind of those early to mid 1990s deployments on RO5 to Adriatic were the worst time Ive had in the mob. Small Navy work hard in some ways, wouldnt say it was harder than some of the pure aviation jobs I did way back when. Yea your right Carriers are a bit self important. As are normally the Skippers on them. To me though the whoole story is just a non starter, move on.
6 or 7 weeks work then back alongside seems reasonable, that ship is no spring chicken anymore, the cost of keeping it at sea must be massive.

scouse

War Hero
Nostrinian said:
Plenty of good old internet banter on here.Ive been on plenty of six and seven monthers on CVS and LPH and a 7 monther on FIPV and your right they are all diffrent, totally. Still think of them all the daily grind of those early to mid 1990s deployments on RO5 to Adriatic were the worst time Ive had in the mob. Small Navy work hard in some ways, wouldnt say it was harder than some of the pure aviation jobs I did way back when. Yea your right Carriers are a bit self important. As are normally the Skippers on them. To me though the whoole story is just a non starter, move on.
6 or 7 weeks work then back alongside seems reasonable, that ship is no spring chicken anymore, the cost of keeping it at sea must be massive.
The age of a Carrier should be no problem :thumright: As long as she is correctly maintained. Ours was 32 years young :w00t: :thumright: Like other carriers of the time :salut:

finknottle

Banned
Far be it for me to talk up the FAA but I have every respect for fighter pilots and I expect most of them have supported our lads on the ground, so let them fly past anytime.

dickhead

Banned
SELJUK said:
wave_dodger said:
SELJUK said:
wave_dodger said:
paulb1912 said:
6/7 weeks thats all the MOD can afford on fuel etc ffs

Who said thats all the MOD can afford on fuel? - read it again, I said they went for that period because that was what the task required, and in response to SELJUK I asked what was the point of going to sea for the sake of it if it was just going to burn up fuel for no reason.

Many apologies I had no idea I was replying to the font of all knowledge - Flag Officer Movements - and that all replies to this forum had to have a point.

Maybe Wave Dodger considers six weeks at sea as achieving something....I don't!

Clearly you had nothing of consequence to add to that post either?

I am, of course, nothing like the font of all knowledge, but its obvious what little I did know about the Carriers movements was significantly more than yours. All you were trying to do was jump on the bandwagon belittling the Navy.

I still have yet to see anything material in your posts, you obviously cannot even grasp that going out to do a six week task may actually achieve something. Is it that difficult to grasp?

Why do I get an image of Captain Mainwaring in my minds eye?

Chill out you pompous so and so. You may have to go to sea one of these days...getting through a kidney hatch with an inflated ego will be difficult!
Our carrier fleet should remain alongside , engines ticking over to save fuel , putting to sea only when we are attacked. Clearly they should be distributed evenly throughout the UK in our naval ports. in order they can repel the attackers from all quarters. We are to have two new carriers so both Devon and Hampshire , in addition to all the other RN bases and dockyards , will be "stand by" covered.
Minor RN vessels can continue their sea-going Customs and Excise duties in a Coast-Guard role as their haul, sold on the open market will pay for them to remain at sea.
Our submarine fleet will continue at sea, as ever, as our real defence.

IB08

Lantern Swinger
GERMANY has a bigger fleet than the UK? I thought their armed forces still had constraints on size? They have a population size similar to the UK if memory serves correctly.

You are correct, only we can not afford to have a larger fleet, though Germany is not a problem that was over 70 years ago
even though they may build a further hundred ships and still be within the limits now

They lost the war, but won the commerce, anyone who is a wannabe drives a BMW AUDI or Merc now, so financially we lost both to Germany and Japan and more recently Korea or China

We have no industry, just services that are usually based off shore to the cheapest provider

Enjoy your service life bobbing about on a barge, one of the whole fleet of thirty

The Gubernment still has not realised that whilst thirty ships today have the fire power of three hundred ships of yesteryear, They can not be in the same place at once

Beats me why they do not ditch the Navy and just have one big missile base on the Isle of Wight (or if they pay handsomely in my backgarden)
The money they would save would be lots and my charges for accomodating the three button pushers would be relatively small in comparison well four really, three watches and one to cover leave

Jack McH

IB08

Lantern Swinger
Im actually concerned about the navys future tbh in relation to my career. If this is actually true about what will be happening in even ten years time, then I dont want to bust my arse passing AIB, BRNC, fleet board etc just to be told I am no longer wanted.
Ive always wondered why we dont have a proper U.S. style coastguard given that we are a sodding island with an ever growing population of 61 millionish. Random thought I know lol.

dickhead

Banned
IB08 said:
Im actually concerned about the navys future tbh in relation to my career. If this is actually true about what will be happening in even ten years time, then I dont want to bust my arse passing AIB, BRNC, fleet board etc just to be told I am no longer wanted.
Ive always wondered why we dont have a proper U.S. style coastguard given that we are a sodding island with an ever growing population of 61 millionish. Random thought I know lol.
You must also wonder why we have expensive military helicopters hovering over Cornish and other cliffs and waterways rescuing brain-dead amateur climbers boatmen and others. But for them, our chopper pilots and crew would have little strategic experience-- But that is not what they are there for. A Coastguard Service should provide this, not the Armed Forces

dickhead

Banned
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
You are correct, only we can not afford to have a larger fleet, though Germany is not a problem that was over 70 years ago
even though they may build a further hundred ships and still be within the limits now

They lost the war, but won the commerce, anyone who is a wannabe drives a BMW AUDI or Merc now, so financially we lost both to Germany and Japan and more recently Korea or China

We have no industry, just services that are usually based off shore to the cheapest provider

Enjoy your service life bobbing about on a barge, one of the whole fleet of thirty

The Gubernment still has not realised that whilst thirty ships today have the fire power of three hundred ships of yesteryear, They can not be in the same place at once

Beats me why they do not ditch the Navy and just have one big missile base on the Isle of Wight (or if they pay handsomely in my backgarden)
The money they would save would be lots and my charges for accomodating the three button pushers would be relatively small in comparison well four really, three watches and one to cover leave

Jack McH
But we currently have more Admirals than Capital Ships. What on earth can we do with them? SSAFA's top number is filled RBL's too
RNLI--No powerful Admirals Thank you.Shipwrecked Sailors --possibly without pay.
What with our over-burdened Commodores Captains and Commanders there are so few cushy sinecures left for them to indulge themselves in. Oh well we'll continue to invent jobs for them. Mustn't upset Mr Browns
boast of full employment for those doing non-jobs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil "Carrier Sailors Lead Naval Involvement In VJ Day Commemorations" History 4
MoD_RSS Plastic carrier bag sales slashed by more than 95% since 5p charge introduced MoD News 0
Waspie USN Carrier fire Current Affairs 3
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Build Your Own Aircraft Carrier Charity 2
MoD_RSS Indian parliamentarians tour UK's largest aircraft carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain's second carrier sets sail for sea trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Finishing touches put to £30 million project to prepare Portsmouth for second aircraft carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £500 bill for unlicensed waste carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Vehicle seized and waste carrier to pay almost £5,000 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £3,000 penalty for illegal waste carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Plastic carrier bags: Gove sets out new measures to extend charge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Russian carrier ship which ran aground off Cornwall is refloated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Uncooperative illegal waste carrier fined after getting his wish for day in court MoD News 0
RabC Carrier News The Fleet 29
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister welcomes first of new carrier-ready helicopter fleet MoD News 0
soleil FlightGlobal: "Analysis: UK Gets Ready To Rejoin Aircraft Carrier Elite" The Fleet Air Arm 2
L Carrier Roles and General Questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
MoD_RSS News story: Queen to commission namesake aircraft carrier in just three weeks, Defence... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: F-35 jet and new batch of UK pilots cleared for Carrier take-off, Defence... MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News story: Britain's second aircraft carrier named in Rosyth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: How Dstl helped launch the HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Britain’s flagship Carrier could arrive home as early as next Thursday, Defence... MoD News 7
MoD_RSS News story: Portsmouth hosts US carrier strike group ahead of multinational exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Jetty completion marks major milestone in Carrier works MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister visits a hub for Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier Programme MoD News 0
F Aircraft carrier with peeled back flight deck. History 13
B That time the yanks dropped three greased pigs on a aircraft carrier and flew away. Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS News story: First sailors join new aircraft carrier in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Early completion of carrier crew accommodation is celebrated MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Hercules (yes HERCULES!) landing on carrier The Fleet 22
MoD_RSS News story: HMS Defender joins French carrier on counter Dash operations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More beds completed for carrier crew MoD News 0
Stirlin A look inside Queen Elizabeth Carrier. Current Affairs 26
MoD_RSS News story: British warship set to support French carrier group on ISIL mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DIO welcomes Caledonia carrier crew to new rooms MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: US Navy Vice Admiral shows commitment to combined carrier strike MoD News 0
Seaweed New Jap carrier .. Current Affairs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary gets update on aircraft carrier project MoD News 0
Topstop New Carrier Transport Aircraft? The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Western Gazette: "Somerset Museum Restores World's First Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet Air Arm 2
T Happy April Fools: Government orders a third carrier, HMS Princess Diana Nautical Jokes 0
scouse Hitlers aircraft carrier The Fleet Air Arm 6
T start in june, air craft carrier? The Fleet 28
soleil E/Standard: Navy’s New Carrier So Large The Crew Need An App To Find Their Way About The Fleet 59
N Is Illustrious an aircraft carrier or not? The Fleet 26
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3